Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says, I have decided to tackle a full blown prerunner build on my 2002 Tundra 4.7. With the slight disadvantage of living in New England and being 1000's of miles from the nearest expert, I'm attempting to utilize any knowledge I can gain online as well as my own experience to build one bad Tundra. The main goal? To make this truck handle ANYTHING I decide to throw at it. So lets get started.

**Most Recent Picture**

Current Modifications:

Chassis/Suspension:
-Solo Motorsports XLT long travel kit
-Heim steering upgrade
-FOA 10" coilovers

Engine:
-K&N Intake

Wheels/Tires:
-37x12.5 Mastercraft Courser MT's
-17" Steelies
-3" rear spacers

4/16 - Here is my starting point, a 2002 Tundra SR5 2wd that desperately needed some love.

With 159k, this Tundra was on its last leg when I picked her up. It had been sitting for almost 2 years after being driven hard and poorly maintained. With 4 flat dry rotted tires, rotted brake lines, a cracked windshield, no tail pipe, and some pretty bad dents it was pretty much doomed for the junk yard. But I decided to give this poor Tundra a second chance.

I decided to start with the suspension, wheels and tires. My original thought was to stick to an easy bolt-on 13-14" travel setup for the front end. However after doing more and more research and knowing how I'm going to drive the truck I settled on this:

XLT kit from Solo Motorsports. I wanted as close to 20" of travel in the front as possible but still wanted the ability to run 4wd once I do the swap.

4/19 - Since I had a while to wait for the kit to come in I got started on the wheels and tires.

37x12.5 Mastercraft Courser MXT's on 17" steelies.

Testing how they are going to fit with the long travel

7/2 - After 10 long weeks my kit finally came in!!

Very impressed with the quality after laying it all out. Hopefully it all works as good as it looks!

7/9 - Got one side on and realized pretty quick that I'm going to have some clearance issues with the 37's

7/14 - After a little trimming I finally got the clearance I needed. Now I just need to weld in some new panels and reinforcements to make up for the material I cut out

I went back and forth for 2 weeks on what front coils to run.... Decided to give these a try. I know they aren't Fox or Kings, but I was able to get a good price on exactly what I wanted with a warranty! The quality looks like it has definitely improved from their old stuff.

While I wait for springs to come in I got a few misc stuff including K&N intake and 3" rear spacers

Finally got my CO's and King Springs! These things are huge!!!

Welded in my upper shock mounts and started piecing it all together. Front suspension is almost done. Still need to work on limit straps, tie rods, and need to machine the hubs a little more to fit the wheels.

Since winter is approaching, I decided I needed a decent daily driver with 4wd. So to kill two birds with one stone, I picked up this 2001 Tundra Limited 4x4. Going to drive it for now, use it to fab my exhaust, body parts, and a few other things while I work on the rear suspension of the other truck. Then once it is sitting on all fours, this will be the donor vehicle for the 4wd swap. I got it cheap due to a blown rear end and broken leaf springs. But with a little work, I swapped the rear end and springs from my truck and I'm going to use the axle out of the limited for my build. But of course the best part about this truck is the 20" chrome rims!!!

This is a rough (unfinished) CAD model of the rear suspension design. Using a mezzanine arm with a 14" coil-over mounted in the bed, I should be able to achieve 30-32" of total wheel travel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Epic what are u going to do to the rear suspension. What kind of terrain is in Boston
I'm going 4-link in the rear. Drew up some simple lower links in CAD and just ordered heims, bushings, and the materials I'll need to make them. The goal is to still have decent use of my bed so I'm going to attempt a minimally intrusive bed cage and I'm going to plate/box the frame as much as I can to gain some rigidity. There is actually a ton of different terrain up here its just a little harder to find. Locally I have sand pits, fire roads, gas lines, and power lines. Within an hour there are some sand dunes towards the coast and a few hours north there are logging roads, mountain roads, and 4x4 trails. Plenty of stuff to have fun on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a rough CAD model of my rear suspension design. Its far from finished and missing a lot of details like heims, welds, etc but you get the idea. It uses a mezzanine arm and a 14" coil over mounted in the wheel well to reduce interfering with bed space. I've tweaked the geometry to cycle 30-32" on paper

·
1,768 Posts
BAD - A S S ...Tundra.
Nice to see the Solo XLT 4x4 kit, along with your photos showing all the work/cutting & fabrication work that is involved.

Thank You again for posting all the pictures. I'm sure many others appreciate seeing the work you're documenting.

Looks great.
Keep the photos coming as it comes along.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any updates?
I've been spending a little time away from the project getting my dd tundra on the road, just got the new wheels/tires, and istalled the UCA's, and got it registered.

As far as the project truck, I just ordered all the pieces I need from roughstuffspecialties.com to start building the rear suspension. I've also decided to change the direction of the build a little. After lots of research and
talking to a bunch of people, I've decided I'm going to completely scrap the 4.7. It just doesn't seem possible to get the performance numbers I want out of the stock engine. For me to be happy with this truck, I'm going to need it to be in the 500-600hp range. I thought about going LS1 but it would be very difficult to maintain the 4wd. So I have come up with a better plan.... 2jz. A jdm 2jzgte twin turbo found in the 93+ Toyota Supra also came stock in the Toyota Aristo sold in Japan. They also happen to run A340E transmissions (the same as the tundra's A340E 2wd or A340F 4wd) So in theory not only will it bolt up, but the ecu also has the compatibility for the stock Tundra transmission. There are a few companies that will stuff GT28 internals in the stock sequential turbos making 500-600whp and over 500ft/lbs of torque depending on supporting mods. The motors themselves can be had for $1500-2000. So all-in, if I do the work myself, the swap should only run me $5k for over 500hp. Not to mention it will be different and I like different. Since I have to weld in new motor mounts anyway.... I'm going to fix the weight distribution of the truck as well. So here's the new plan:

-remove engine and cab
-move engine and cab mounts back 2-4in
-run spacer on front driveshaft, and shorten rear
-swap in 2jz

The result should be a much better balanced truck with a bad-ass, powerful engine. Plus I will be able to clear up to 40" tires easily if I wanted to ;) Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
1 Posts
EDIT: Saw it in another thread. Curious to see the stance without the spacers

Looks like its gonna be a complete beast! I love how your DD is sitting with the big grabbers, what did you do to the suspension on that? Also, I grew up in Mass and have done a lot of wheeling around Keene and southern VT. A ton of variety and really gnarly stuff that people dont realize you can find so easily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a smoking deal and I'd be all over it if I wasn't doing my rear suspension :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
A shame the project was abandoned. Perhaps a new thread?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts