Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any have the TRD/Stoptech BBK Big Brake Kit part # PTR090C014-02
Best prices I see currently are about $2500 big money. Any thoughts, pics, comments, welcome. Barring this, what is the best upgrade? I am not happy with the brakes. Too mushy, not nearly as nice as my 4runner. I have seen some posts mentioning Brembo but mostly on tundra forums.

I'd be grateful for part numbers from those who have done upgrades.
I am not too savvy on brakes. Slotted/vented I have no clue. Thanks for your opinion on the best options currently available. Also hope to hear from any BBK owners.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What year is your Sequoia? Check you casting model number 13WL is the bigger TSB upgraded caliper for the pre 03' models. If you have the 13WE, that is the smaller caliper, and you may want to look into doing the mod to upgrade (Search MEVang's posts for brake mods).

I plan to just do the Brembo standard rotor replacement on my 02' with some stock caliper TRD front replacement pads, and some Porterfield rear Kevlar pads. I wish I could drop the $2500 for the TRD caliper/rotor combo. I've not heard from anyone with that setup, but it would be nice to know if it's worth the money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did the upgrade myself following the instruction in one of the other brake thread all you need to do is get the calipers, rotor and pads. I bought the calipers from autozone for like 300 w/ the core and got like 120 back from the old calipers. the pads and rotors i got from toyota. The only thing i had to mod was the dirt shield and that was easy to do with a hacksaw. i spent probably 600 if that much. I love the way my breaks feel now.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah, I think the 05-06' year caliper is the way to go if you have the older version.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Just wanted to throw in my $0.02... First of all, I LOVE our Sequoias... we have 2 ('02 & '06... and, getting ready to buy a new one!). As with almost everyone else, I was having the warping rotor issues with my '02. We had the TSB completed by Toyota under warranty, only after arbitration. Anyway, the TSB procedure seemed worked for a while, but it really just prolonged the intervals between which we had to have the rotors machined down... until a couple of years ago. On some thread, someone mentioned the 'Frozen Rotors'. Being tired of perpetually having the rotors serviced, I went with their slotted rotors and best Hawk pads I could find... problem solved. Granted, they are expensive, but I welcomed anything that stopped the hassle of the rotor repair every 10K (I know, but my wife drove the '02 for 6 years, and her sister now drives it). Not sure if that helps anyone and/or is relevant to you all that posted on this thread, but I'm now a fan... put them on our '06 when we first bought it in '07... 87K miles later and one rotor rotation, they're still going strong. Thanks for all the great information from this site, everyone, and take care.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My 2002 has the TSB done and has EBC slotted USR rotors with EBC green stuff pads. The truck stops much smoother now and better now without any fade during extended or harsh braking. The TSB made the big difference, the EBC stuff made minor difference for the better. IMHO Biggest thing is in the least to do the TSB/caliper upgrade to the newer revision.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your help with the brakes issue. I really appreciate your advice. I would like to do the $2500 TRD BBK upgrade but that is way too much money, if the brakes can be improved for much less.
To answer your questions,
What year is your Sequoia? Check you casting model number 13WL is the bigger TSB upgraded caliper for the pre 03' models. If you have the 13WE, that is the smaller caliper, and you may want to look into doing the mod to upgrade (Search MEVang's posts for brake mods).
I have a 2005 limited. Does this mean that I already have the upgraded caliper? If so what is the recommended upgrade?
From your posts I am seeing that maybe slotted rotors (Brembo or EBC/USR) and/or Porterfield pads...are the TRD pads any good? Thanks so much...I am hoping to get the parts soon

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yes, you have the bigger caliper if you have a 05' model year. Rotors are your personal preference, and may not be worth the extra money. TRD pads are great if you can find them....I have seen them on eBay every now and again, and sometimes TRDparts4U .com. Not sure about the others brands. Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have a mushy pedal, get the entire system bled, preferably a power bleed and not the pump twice and open a valve job. New brake pads (I too am using the EBC on all four corners and feel the vehicle now stops better). Stainless steel lines might be another option, again though get the system VERY well bled. There are enough bends and loops in this system that it would be very easy for air bubbles to hid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts