Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under my '03 Sequoia recently changing out the sway bar connector links. While doing that I noticed the CV axle boots spinning out grease onto the frame (see attached pics).

So, I have a few questions for all you advanced techs. What does this mean exactly? Is it that the clamps may be loose and letting grease out? Is there a lubricating access for these where perhaps too much grease was added and that is the overflow? Keep in mind my truck has 170K mi on it and these are all original. They have never been serviced as far as I know and both sides look the same as far as grease coming out. I don't see any tears in the boots, though I will clean them up and do a better visual inspection in the next few days. Would I need to replace the CV axle assembly? I saw a post over on the Tundra side that describes the replacement of the CV axle assembly in great detail. I'd prefer not to have to do that if this is simply a clamping issue.

Other things to note are that the vehicle runs really smooth and very quiet. There are no unusual sounds that would indicate worn or malfunctioning parts.

If you've solved this issue before I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!
Pat

Tire Auto part Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Pipe
Auto part Vehicle brake

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
279 Posts
Good pics! I am gonna get down and look at my 175k SR5 to see if I have that going on. I wanna guess that it is overflow/normal. My other vehicle, an Outback, has that same sort of overspray by its axles.
Wipe that excess off and see if more develops.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my '03. I have about 110k and I belive they were never replaced although I'm not the original owner so I don't know for sure. I asked my mechanic and he said don't even worry about it unless it starts making noise or they start to leak a lot. The only noise I noticed is when using 4wd there's a tiny bit more drivetrain noise/vibration. But I'm assuming that this is to be expected in 4wd.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if I wasn't such a type A, I might overlook this issue, but as it is it drives me crazy that any fluids/grease leak out of any part of my vehicle! I haven't had the chance to clean this up yet and analyze more closely, but perhaps this weekend I may do that. I'll be sure to report back anything unusual :D

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Did you lift your front end? Mine did the same thing after I installed Bilstein 5100's.

It it's lifted, a differential drop kit will help. You can also install better hose clamps to stop the problem, assuming your boots aren't ripped.

I pumped in additional CV grease before installing the hose clamps.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
SteveInCal said it. if you get out my pics in my gallery youll see what i did to mine since they started slinging grease. havent had a problem and its been almost 2 years now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SteveInCal said it. if you get out my pics in my gallery youll see what i did to mine since they started slinging grease. havent had a problem and its been almost 2 years now.
Thanks guys! I've been waiting for weather to warm up a bit and I'll clean it up and take a closer look. I had already put a hose clamp on the boot closest to the wheel for one of the sides when my sway bar link broke and somehow took the stock clamp off the boot. The dealer pointed this out and put a zip tie on it since I was unwilling to get the boot replaced at their $300 or $400 suggestion LOL! The zip tie was a joke of course and I had to put a real hose clamp on it to keep the grease in. If that's all there is to it then this may be the easiest fix yet! :tu:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem after leveling my Sequoia. I found narrow high quality hose clamps at mcmaster.com, if you search their site for "Stainless Steel Smooth-Band Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps" you will find them, they have smooth rounded edges so they don't cut into the CV boots. I pumped a bunch of grease in and replaced the factory clamps with these and didn't have a drop of grease leaking after.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts