Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The older I get the heavier the tailgate gets and I was wondering if anyone has come up with an assist that works?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed this spring in my 2006 a couple of years ago. It made it really easy to close. The only down side is you cant drive with the tailgate in the down position and unloaded. It will bang up and down.

·
Registered
2005 SR5 4wd Double Cab
5 Posts
Thanks for this. I searched for something similar a few weeks ago and this never popped up. Good to know!
I installed this spring in my 2006 a couple of years ago. It made it really easy to close. The only down side is you cant drive with the tailgate in the down position and unloaded. It will bang up and down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks but I was trying to avoid the torsion bar system for those reasons in favor of a shock absorber system which works much better.
No one seems to make one for the first gen Tundra but I thought I saw a while back that someone adapted a Dodge one to fit.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
You're literally driving a 22 year old truck and you are hoping some company out there just started making aftermarket parts for it? Its not a 60's classic muscle car, its just an old truck. You do realize how that sounds right?

Reactions: Fritz_The_Cat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're literally driving a 22 year old truck and you are hoping some company out there just started making aftermarket parts for it? Its not a 60's classic muscle car, its just an old truck. You do realize how that sounds right?
Ya you are right in 3 more years I can get a collector plate for it. I guess I have to ignore it or make a stab at retro fitting something on. If I do and it works I will post up some pics.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well it doesn't mean a newer trucks gate assist setup dont happen to fit older trucks too. People/corps both retrofit new items on older vehicles and vice versa all the time, especially on trucks. Newer tailgates with steps & ladders built in now I wouldn't be shocked to see new ideas on old trucks today at all. Ive had a small aftermarket ladder on mine for 10yrs do to health reasons to help me climb in the bed. Ford stole that idea..lol
I had to modify it to make it more sturdy but it works well.
I've not seen this spring, its easy to install & since I never have my tailgate down unless a board or somethings too long to fit in my bed it would work for me okay so I appreciate the post quite honestly.

Btw I drove a 69 Super Bee about 15yrs and very few aftermarket parts were ever made for it..lol. Sold it in 2012. With over 425hp and 391gears that 6mpg if I babied it & just 1-2 gpm if I didnt at $2.50 gal high octane too so driving it daily wasnt much fun anymore. Gas was under a buck a gallon for most of my owning it so it was a blast for many yrs..lol

Not listed as a muscle car but should be as they're very fast cars but nothing made for my 65 Buick Riviera GS (465 dual quad Wildcat engine) either.
I drove it daily over 25yrs and nothing aftermarket was ever made for either car!!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I never said something current couldnt be retrofitted, I said I dont see any company making something new for a truck thats 20 years old. Dont forget the volume either, Toyota only sold around 100k per year back then. So add up the cost of R&D, plus manufacturing, plus low market share, and probably very little demand, what company would waste their time?

My point about classic muscle cars is that there are companies that do make parts for older cars because its a bigger market and they can make money off of it or they wouldnt do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The older I get the heavier the tailgate gets and I was wondering if anyone has come up with an assist that works?
The 2006 Nissan Titan tailgate assist hinge will bolt right on but I found there wasn't any room for the shock to mount behind the tail light on the tundra.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts