Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys..new to the forum, and also new to toyota...what i'm asking should be a simple question for you guys, i just need to know the size of the stock door speakers w/ the JBL system...also if you have any recommendations as to a certain setup you guys' have tried, that would be greatly appreciated. I really just want to take the old speakers out and replace with new (plug and play preferrably) and i only say this because i had a hell of a time just installing a damn radio, had to get a $100 wiring harness adapter, missing wires, just totally pissed me off haha...but anyway thanks in advance guys

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
i have a 2002 tundra access cab. 6.5's for the fronts and 6.5's for the rear access doors. however, the main issue is mounting depth not size. for the fronts, there is a metal brace that runs from top to bottom (i believe window track) that is directly behind the speaker.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What year is your truck. Can't speak for the 2nd Gen, but the 1stGen has this plastic bracket that is incorporated into the factory speaker. You have two choices: 1) Make a new bracket with MDF to house the new speaker (6 1/2 fit fine) 2) Cut the factory bracket and reuse it for your new speaker. I chose the second and it worked out great with no clearance issues. I posted a DIY on the procedure a while back.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
for gen i tundra (access cab), i removed my rear speakers today and replaced with some newer ones. there is a TON of depth available, i know > 3 inches, i would guess up to 5 inches. so buy whatever 6.5's you want without worrying about depth for the rears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck is an 04 doublecab, i bought four infinity reference 6.5s, i put two in the front but they didnt fit exactly right so i kinda had to jerry rig them so that they were secure..as for the rears, im still trying to figure out a better way to fasten them so they're gonna wait a little while

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
On my 2006 Access cab, I left the front speakers alone but added better tweeters for the front.

In the back I replaced the original speakers and added tweeters.

That made a tremendous difference. As far as the bass ( which never existed before) I added a separate 500 w amp and a 10 inch sub in a custom built box. The sound is full now and I can rattle the rear view mirror anytime I want too ( along with the outside mirrors as well) hehehe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts