Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a 2004 Toyota Tundra 4wd V8 ext cab that I want to lift more. Right now it has a 3" spacer lift with 3" blocks in the rear and a 3" body lift. I'm wanting to upgrade the SUSPENSION to a larger lift, preferably one that is between 5" and 8"(to add on to the 3" body lift).

So my question is... what would be the cheapest lift or the cheapest way of lifting it that much??? Also, I want the lift to be a good lift. I don't want to get a lift that is notorious for breaking...

I've seen on cardomain.com where people have lifted Tundra's with say a 4.5" tuff country lift and then added 2.5" daystar spacers to make 7" of lift. If anyone knows, how does that work???

So far from what I've seen the 5" Tuff Country lift is the cheapest route in lifts. The 6" RCD lifts run a little over $2,000 and thats just a little too pricey for me. My plans so far are to get the 5" Tuff Country lift and to add 1 1/2" add-a-leafs to the rear.

Any ideas????

·
Registered
247 Posts
RCD is the best lift out there for the Tundra. Its adjustable from 4"-6" of lift. Stacking lifts is not recommended, but at the same time, the Tough Country lift uses a 2.5" spacer in the coil anyway to achieve all of its lift.

Stacking two coil spacer lifts is not a good idea.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Don't be lured by cheap. Cheap is often also the fastest route to failed parts and an unreliable truck.

Before answering...because there are a lot of answers...

Read through all the links in my signature line. You'll come back to your own question better informed to choose a lift kit. First and foremost, what you're looking for is not a suspension system of any kind, it's another block/spacer/stilts/etc kit...a noncompressible piece of metal which will put either the body or frame higher from the ground, and may allow for larger tires, but it will not change the performance of the suspension.

Also tell us this...what are your ultimate goals for the truck?

Be the highest kid on the block?
Drive through mud pits?
Rock crawling?
Show?
All around capability?

Let us know so we can point you in a couple good directions ;).

-Sean

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Couldn't he go the tc route and get coilovers and crank them up for the extra lift w/o stacking anything?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Couldn't he go the tc route and get coilovers and crank them up for the extra lift w/o stacking anything?
Yeah, Tuff Country 5" or RCD 4/6", both have a new spindle and technically the body lift can stay on...it wouldn't be the first truck like that...but I'm sorta curious about the answers to those questions I posted. There's a world of difference between the TC and RCD kits.

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
You're right about that, I was all about the rcd until the tc lift was sold on here for $500. That was a no brainer for me, plus I already had saw coilovers and add a leaf's in the rear. My truck rides SOOOOOO much better now that I don't have the coils jacked all the way up. The turning is a lot better too, not as hard to park like it was before. Sorry to jack the thread, like you said though, his answers are going to make a difference in the route he needs/wants to go. Buy the used RCD kit that is in the classifieds!!!! It comes with ICON coils, then you'll have all you want and more!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't be lured by cheap. Cheap is often also the fastest route to failed parts and an unreliable truck.

Before answering...because there are a lot of answers...

Read through all the links in my signature line. You'll come back to your own question better informed to choose a lift kit. First and foremost, what you're looking for is not a suspension system of any kind, it's another block/spacer/stilts/etc kit...a noncompressible piece of metal which will put either the body or frame higher from the ground, and may allow for larger tires, but it will not change the performance of the suspension.

Also tell us this...what are your ultimate goals for the truck?

Be the highest kid on the block?
Drive through mud pits?
Rock crawling?
Show?
All around capability?

Let us know so we can point you in a couple good directions ;).

-Sean

Sean,
I would say that my ultimate goal, as I hardly do any offroading with my truck, would be to "be the highest kid on the block". More for show, not as much capability. Not saying I wouldn't mind having the extra capability, but I wouldn't really need it. So if it came down to price I would sacrifice capability(but not quality) for a cheaper lift. It seems to me that the 5" tuff country and the 6" RCD lift are my only two options. Is there any others? Also, I seen where you guys were talking about adding coilovers to the TC lift and cranking them up. Would this work well or would it be a bad setup? Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!
-Lance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right about that, I was all about the rcd until the tc lift was sold on here for $500. That was a no brainer for me, plus I already had saw coilovers and add a leaf's in the rear. My truck rides SOOOOOO much better now that I don't have the coils jacked all the way up. The turning is a lot better too, not as hard to park like it was before. Sorry to jack the thread, like you said though, his answers are going to make a difference in the route he needs/wants to go. Buy the used RCD kit that is in the classifieds!!!! It comes with ICON coils, then you'll have all you want and more!!

Cajuntundra,
I'm assuming you have the RCD lift? Or do you have the TC lift with coilovers jacked up? I've been looking at the RCD lift, but always leaned a little more towards TC because of price... where can I find the classified ad for the RCD lift your talking about at? Thanks for all the help!
-Lance

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
He is running around on the TC 5'' lift and sway-a-way coilovers.

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
In the classified's on this forum, when you log in scroll to the bottom and you will see a section for general classifieds, click on that and I think its still on the first page.
Yeah I'm running the TC lift with coils and coil spacers. I turned mine down and went with the spacer so I could keep the ride, my front end was screwed up before the lift and had a lot of bent parts. I wrecked it about 7 years ago and I think the shop tried to cut corners and fix the damaged parts rather than change them. I was 23 and still trusted what I was told, just because the guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about. The ride was never the same after the wreck, come to find out the right uca was bent, the uca bolt was bent, a few brackets on the right side were bent, there was damage to the caster adjustments bolts, etc. I got the tc lift off this site, the ad said it came with no name uca and uniball, after sending total chaos the pictures of the uca's they were able to identify them as camburg uca! Those are more than what I paid for the whole deal by themselves. All that for $550 including shipping, I had to buy a hardware kit from tc for $50 and one of the uniballs had a little slack so I ordered a new pair for around $110 shipped. The kit was the 5" spindle kit, and the hubs were already pressed in place, that saved a lot of money on the install. My guy told me that pressing the new spindle's is very time consuming, idk I trust what he says maybe someone who has done can chime in on that part, either way he only charged me $350 for the install. He owe's his on shop and has been doing lifts, gears, lockers, and all you can think of 4x4 stuff, I've known him since I was a kid.
I don't know what your budget is, but if you were looking at buying the tc kit because it was cheaper, take a look at the used RCD on here, it might be what you're looking for and you're getting a good system for a good price. I say a good system, if its in good shape. You can ask for pictures of everything off the kit and take it to the shop where you plan to have it installed, show them the pics and ask if they see anything wrong or missing. You'll probaly have to order a hardware kit, which is a bag of all the new nuts and bolts. I think you'll be very happy either way you decide to go, the good thing about the kit too is that there isn't so much of an angle on the cv shafts. I know I'm kinda jumping around, I'm just trying to think of everything I can to help you out. Figure out your budget then add the cost of the used kit plus the labor and compare it to the new kits and the labor and see what works for you. I would go the 5" spindle kit if you choose the tc route, I read some bad stuff on here about the 4.5" tc kit. Instead of new spindle's it comes with some kind of balljoint extension?( I think that's what it is) Either way whatever it was was breaking, you don't want your tire to come off while you're rolling, it happened to me last year on my birthday. A combination of a spacer lift and not getting any notice from Toyota about the balljoint recall, and now that I think about it, the bent parts might have sped along the balljoint failure? I was crossing some train tracks and the front right tire,wheel, hub, cv shaft, the whole thing came off! That's when I went to the coils, screw the spacer lift. A lot of people on here run them and don't have that happen, but when it happens once that is plenty for me. The messed up thing about that is, I normally take the interstate home from work, that day I was going to the store to get my wife some flowers and decided to take the back way. Sorry for the novel but I hope all this helps you out in some way, let me know if I can help.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
front right tire,wheel, hub, cv shaft, the whole thing came off!
:eek: I'm glad you're still posting! Did anyone ever sort out what happened? That's crazy!

Sean,
I would say that my ultimate goal, as I hardly do any offroading with my truck, would be to "be the highest kid on the block". More for show, not as much capability. Not saying I wouldn't mind having the extra capability, but I wouldn't really need it. So if it came down to price I would sacrifice capability(but not quality) for a cheaper lift. It seems to me that the 5" tuff country and the 6" RCD lift are my only two options. Is there any others? Also, I seen where you guys were talking about adding coilovers to the TC lift and cranking them up. Would this work well or would it be a bad setup? Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!
-Lance
Pick up the RCD parts like CT said. The RCD kit is very well done, and the additional price is because it's using Bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear rather than the big spacers the TC kit uses, as well as a pair of support struts for the drop bracket. I would recommend it over the Tuff Country kit any day, for longevity, performance, and even looks.

If you get some of the RCD parts used, it might offset the cost enough that it's in your budget. Definitely stretch for the RCD kit if you can.

Wait to add the body lift. You can do it, yes, but with the RCD kit and 35" tires, you will have a good looking and capable truck.

-Sean

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
:eek: I'm glad you're still posting! Did anyone ever sort out what happened? That's crazy!

I think it was the fact that the ball joint recall hadn't been done and I had a spacer lift on that had the front end in a bind! I never really caught on to the fact that something was wrong when I keep blowing cv boots. I did the boot mod and got the different boots, still blowing left and right. Another thing, I put the truck in a ditch late one night in the rain. It was before I grew up, that was actually my rock bottom. My brother and his girlfriend were in the truck with me, everyone was belted so it wasn't as bad as it could of been. Brother broke his arm in 3 places. I ended up with a concussion, a wrecked truck ( thought for sure it was total loss), a night in the pokey, fines, community service, no license for a year, and just plane embarrassed at what I had done. That was 7 years ago and there is a lot of growing up in 7 years. Back to the truck, we hit the ditch on the right side at around 45-50mph. It was raining, I took a turn too fast on some bald *** swampers and lost it one way then over corrected and put us in the ditch. The right front wheel assembly was no longer a member of the truck. $9000 damage to the truck, it was early 2003 with hardly any miles on it, I'm guessing that's why it wasn't totaled? Fast forward to now and that's when we found all the bent front end parts. So I think wreck+bad ball joints+spacer lift= wheel and all falling off.

We live and we learn?.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i have the 5" tc and love it. if your wanting to run 35s its the best way to go. iv been wanting 37s and wish i had went with the rdc but planning on getting cambridge uca and coilover to get about 2.5 more inches in the front and add a leaf in the back. have a buddy who just stacked a 2.5 spacer in the front nothing in the back and running 37s. he take his wheeling all the time with no problems.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
have a buddy who just stacked a 2.5 spacer in the front nothing in the back and running 37s. he take his wheeling all the time with no problems.
I call BS on this wheeling. Let's see some pictures so we know we're talking about the same kind of driving offroad :cool:.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
This is what i call wheeling in mine with a 6"RCD :)

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts