Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
2005 Tundra Ltd with 300k original miles
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the LA area (Thousand Oaks is NOT Los Angeles). I'm a farm kid from Nebraska. We had row crops, hay, cattle, and hogs.

I don't have a job that demands a truck. I don't have property that would justify a truck -- our home is on a tiny suburban lot. I have an emotional need for a truck to give me a touch point to my midwestern upbringing where I learned to solve most of my own problems and haul stuff that needed to be hauled, fix things with a come-along and a fence post/tree or just hit it really hard (with a hammer or a truck).

I carry a short logging chain in my truck but I've only used it two times. The first time I pulled my sister-in-law's car... that must have been around 2002. The second time, about 7 years ago) was more for show ... pulling some shrubs out of the front yard. 'Haven't had any issues from any other shrubs since. I like to make saw dust and that requires acquiring big pieces of wood to make them into smaller pieces -- I use the truck to get those big pieces from my storage locations (Home Depot and the local hardwood dealer - Conejo Hardwoods).

So I have a 2005 Limited with just over 300k on it and the engine is great, the transmission feels the same (I don't know how it could be but it's the same). I bought it new after a head-on collision in my 2001 Tundra (that guy crossed the line, literally) that totaled my beautiful blue truck. That truck saved my life so I got another.

I have had two mechanical problems that I didn't cause since purchase. They were fixed and they weren't free but they were a LOT cheaper than a new truck.

My mechanic (yes, I don't really work on it) says that I could get well over 400k out of this machine... maybe 500k.

It's had the regular maintenance and it's all documented. I don't smoke, tow, race, or otherwise abuse this machine other than a few really fast runs through the mountains (Santa Monica mountains between me and work - yeah they're not that big) on some dicey switch back trails.

It's a stock Limited, no upgrades except for the retractable bed cover and a Pioneer head unit with a backup camera, bluetooth, and navigation. Everything still works. There's a cut in the side of the leather seat just opposite the door pocket.

I'm happy with this truck. It's DAMNED reliable...and I don't use that term lightly. Anytime I have had a problem (and I am thinking of maybe two times) where I was stuck somewhere, it was my fault... except for that time my tire got slashed by flying shrapnel on the 10 freeway in LA.

My wife's '15 HIghlander Limited has radar, lane departure, etc. It's nice. I wish my truck had that stuff.

It's hard to avoid new truck envy sometimes/most of the time. However, I've changed my life a bit since buying that 05 truck and now I pay cash for everything. So, I'm thinking, do I just hang on to this truck awhile longer and get the kitchen remodel we've been waiting for over 7 years or spend it all on a (new to me) truck?

I was thinking of spending around $35k on a truck but since mine still runs real well, I hate to spend all that cash on reliable transportation when I already have it. My wife says it's a classic and I might want to take the dents out of it and hang onto it. I do love this truck. Would a newer Tundra offer the same reliability that I've found in this one?

What do you guys think? I'm leaning toward kitchen ...

Registered
Honestly to offset the 35k cost of a newer truck would be a painful one for me. I to believe in paying cash with no debt. If it would be a small part of your financial situation and you're tired of your truck okay 馃憣. But to go into debt for a want and not a need seems unnecessary. On the other hand redoing a kitchen is beneficial to you and your spouse. Also, it would be an investment. A vehicle is a depreciating expensive. We all want new stuff, I totally get it. Lastly a happy wife means happy life. 馃槉 Kitchen would be my choice hands down. You can always buy a truck when it finally dies!

Registered
Keep the vehicle, "tinker" on it as needed. It is like me, old but still functional. I sold a much loved 1930 Model A Tudor and used some of the funds to put Quatrz counter tops and a new Farm Sink in our kitchen. I miss the car but enjoy the joy I see as my wife appreciates the remodeled kitchen. A small sacrifice and price to pay to bless my blessing...
Enjoy the blessing of a "survivor vehicle" and the greater blessing of a gift that cannot be replaced, your wife. Pamper them both and can't go wrong. Ain't no way this old guy is gonna go in debt 35K for a new vehicle... Chap

Registered
2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 limited double cab 4.7l
Keep truck remodel kitchen get dents fixed polish paint you got 700k more miles to go

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly to offset the 35k cost of a newer truck would be a painful one for me. I to believe in paying cash with no debt. If it would be a small part of your financial situation and you're tired of your truck okay 馃憣. But to go into debt for a want and not a need seems unnecessary. On the other hand redoing a kitchen is beneficial to you and your spouse. Also, it would be an investment. A vehicle is a depreciating expensive. We all want new stuff, I totally get it. Lastly a happy wife means happy life. 馃槉 Kitchen would be my choice hands down. You can always buy a truck when it finally dies!
Ha! You speak with a ring of authority and wisdom that only comes from experience! Thanks! Not going into debt again. Already did that once.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Keep the vehicle, "tinker" on it as needed. It is like me, old but still functional. I sold a much loved 1930 Model A Tudor and used some of the funds to put Quatrz counter tops and a new Farm Sink in our kitchen. I miss the car but enjoy the joy I see as my wife appreciates the remodeled kitchen. A small sacrifice and price to pay to bless my blessing...
Enjoy the blessing of a "survivor vehicle" and the greater blessing of a gift that cannot be replaced, your wife. Pamper them both and can't go wrong. Ain't no way this old guy is gonna go in debt 35K for a new vehicle... Chap
I'm not sure my wife would experience that level of joy but it would definitely be a big plus. Thank you sir!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Keep truck remodel kitchen get dents fixed polish paint you got 700k more miles to go
Thanks. I appreciate the encouragement!
I spent $6k a few year back getting it all un-dented, clean and shiny -- around the 200k point. Got better tinting on the windows and new headlights too. Since then I put a really nice dent in a bed panel ... quoted at $2k to repair -- the dent itself isn't so bad but I have a nice roll-n-lock cover and drop-in bed liner so there's labor to take them out and put them back ... that's a big chunk of dough for a Truck that would barely fetch $5k in perfect condition... but it is MY truck and it is worth a lot more than $5k to me as it sits now. I'm not going to do it right away, I need to get the kitchen project started. Not sure we'll get to a million miles but it's looking like we're going to pursue 400k at least for the moment.

Registered
2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 limited double cab 4.7l
5k... I was shopping round you can't touch a tundra around here under 9k that is still with 200k on the clock I paid 2500 for a Wisconsin rusty one with toyota tick... As for the dent maybe see what you can do with a suction device for moving glass and a ratchet strap.

Registered
About a year ago I bought my 2002 SR5 Access cab, 2wd, auto, 4.7 V8, 178k, NO RUST really great shape with Car Fax and lots of maintenance records from a Dealer here in AZ for $7800. I continue to be amazed at the condition of this truck inside and out for that price. So they are out there. Worth keeping and maintaining because they will serve you well if properly cared for... Chap

Registered
2001 Tundra SR5 Access Cab
Hey neighbor. SCV here. My .02 is keep the truck. Do the kitchen. My new to me 鈥01 Tundra SR5 has 277k. Bought from original owner (neighbor). At 300k you got lots of life yet. Buddy of mine has a 4Runner V8 thats been in family since new. It just hit 500K and going strong. I like you have learned the value of $$. Fix it / upgrade as needed. It鈥檒l treat you well. See you on the 101 or 126 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Hey neighbor. SCV here. My .02 is keep the truck. Do the kitchen. My new to me 鈥01 Tundra SR5 has 277k. Bought from original owner (neighbor). At 300k you got lots of life yet. Buddy of mine has a 4Runner V8 thats been in family since new. It just hit 500K and going strong. I like you have learned the value of $$. Fix it / upgrade as needed. It鈥檒l treat you well. See you on the 101 or 126 馃憤
Thanks! I lived in Fillmore for 12 years and spent a good bit of time on the 126 ... most of my mileage on this truck was from those Fillmore days.

Registered
2001 Toyota tundra access cab 4.7
Bought my 2001 AC 2wd a year ago, well maintained at the dealership (previous owner)233k,dealer wanted $5900, paid $3400 cash, No Rust or body damage, New tires,only needed Spark Plugs, the drive indicator bulb I had to replace, I chose to install keyless entry, Bilstien 5100"s on the front, back up camera and a bull bar on the front, I love it, it's the perfect size for me 馃憤馃徎

Registered
@James777
How big a deal / hassel was adding keyless entry??
It was easy,took about an hour,as long as you have power door locks, I hooked it up to the lights to but not the horn because I would have to install relays (I may sometime), I got the wiring diagram from Bulldog security site, works great (bought it from Amazon)

Registered
2001 Tundra SR5 Access Cab
Good to know. I have the power locks. But according to dealer vin check no keyless entry installed. Got a succesful parts list i can pilfer??

Registered
Bought my 2001 AC 2wd a year ago, well maintained at the dealership (previous owner)233k,dealer wanted $5900, paid $3400 cash, No Rust or body damage, New tires,only needed Spark Plugs, the drive indicator bulb I had to replace, I chose to install keyless entry, Bilstien 5100"s on the front, back up camera and a bull bar on the front, I love it, it's the perfect size for me 馃憤馃徎
You need to name your truck. My 2006 Tundra is called Hi Ho Silver. I talk to it & it give me good vibes!!! Please keep your truck. You can always buy a new one!!!

Registered
Good to know. I have the power locks. But according to dealer vin check no keyless entry installed. Got a succesful parts list i can pilfer??
Here is the link to your wiring, when you purchase a keyless entry kit it has detailed installation instructions with it, hope this helps, I paid around $20 for mine
You need to name your truck. My 2006 Tundra is called Hi Ho Silver. I talk to it & it give me good vibes!!! Please keep your truck. You can always buy a new one!!!
New photo by James Carroll I marked the 3 wires you have to be considered with, I grounded it to the body

Registered
Here is the link to your wiring, when you purchase a keyless entry kit it has detailed installation instructions with it, hope this helps, I paid around $20 for mine
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QH9C5A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6PN8B7JZ6HJ18G7984S4, there is the link for the keyless entry kit, it's $32 now but I pay like$20-$25 but that was a year ago

Registered
Sell that truck and you鈥檒l never forgive yourself. You don鈥檛 treat loyal old friends
that way.

Voice of experience.

Registered
I live in the LA area (Thousand Oaks is NOT Los Angeles). I'm a farm kid from Nebraska. We had row crops, hay, cattle, and hogs.

I don't have a job that demands a truck. I don't have property that would justify a truck -- our home is on a tiny suburban lot. I have an emotional need for a truck to give me a touch point to my midwestern upbringing where I learned to solve most of my own problems and haul stuff that needed to be hauled, fix things with a come-along and a fence post/tree or just hit it really hard (with a hammer or a truck).

I carry a short logging chain in my truck but I've only used it two times. The first time I pulled my sister-in-law's car... that must have been around 2002. The second time, about 7 years ago) was more for show ... pulling some shrubs out of the front yard. 'Haven't had any issues from any other shrubs since. I like to make saw dust and that requires acquiring big pieces of wood to make them into smaller pieces -- I use the truck to get those big pieces from my storage locations (Home Depot and the local hardwood dealer - Conejo Hardwoods).

So I have a 2005 Limited with just over 300k on it and the engine is great, the transmission feels the same (I don't know how it could be but it's the same). I bought it new after a head-on collision in my 2001 Tundra (that guy crossed the line, literally) that totaled my beautiful blue truck. That truck saved my life so I got another.

I have had two mechanical problems that I didn't cause since purchase. They were fixed and they weren't free but they were a LOT cheaper than a new truck.

My mechanic (yes, I don't really work on it) says that I could get well over 400k out of this machine... maybe 500k.

It's had the regular maintenance and it's all documented. I don't smoke, tow, race, or otherwise abuse this machine other than a few really fast runs through the mountains (Santa Monica mountains between me and work - yeah they're not that big) on some dicey switch back trails.

It's a stock Limited, no upgrades except for the retractable bed cover and a Pioneer head unit with a backup camera, bluetooth, and navigation. Everything still works. There's a cut in the side of the leather seat just opposite the door pocket.

I'm happy with this truck. It's DAMNED reliable...and I don't use that term lightly. Anytime I have had a problem (and I am thinking of maybe two times) where I was stuck somewhere, it was my fault... except for that time my tire got slashed by flying shrapnel on the 10 freeway in LA.

My wife's '15 HIghlander Limited has radar, lane departure, etc. It's nice. I wish my truck had that stuff.

It's hard to avoid new truck envy sometimes/most of the time. However, I've changed my life a bit since buying that 05 truck and now I pay cash for everything. So, I'm thinking, do I just hang on to this truck awhile longer and get the kitchen remodel we've been waiting for over 7 years or spend it all on a (new to me) truck?

I was thinking of spending around $35k on a truck but since mine still runs real well, I hate to spend all that cash on reliable transportation when I already have it. My wife says it's a classic and I might want to take the dents out of it and hang onto it. I do love this truck. Would a newer Tundra offer the same reliability that I've found in this one?

What do you guys think? I'm leaning toward kitchen ...
I agree with Lunas. You'll probably need a truck during the remodel even if you are not doing it yourself. You know the old saying, "they don't build them like that any more". Keep the truck till it dies and then put in a new engine and trans.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts