Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not seen a discussion on this in the 1stGEN SEQ Forum... about snow tires, or other forums about the best size.
I have an 02 SR5 4WD, w/ R16 stock alloys. Standard size is 265/70 R16. I have been told that narrower tires are better for snows.
Thoughts? Experience? Will be driving up and down Mt Hood all winter and need to call the ball.
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Happy with the falken wildpeak’s. They are 285/70/17. No issues with that width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Have not seen a discussion on this in the 1stGEN SEQ Forum... about snow tires, or other forums about the best size.
I have an 02 SR5 4WD, w/ R16 stock alloys. Standard size is 265/70 R16. I have been told that narrower tires are better for snows.
Thoughts? Experience? Will be driving up and down Mt Hood all winter and need to call the ball.
Any help would be great.
Its true yes but not to the point that it will make that much difference. Think of it more like the guy with the Vette with 300 series tires. Those would sit on top of the snow like a set of snow shoes but what you want is to get through the snow and get traction with the pavement. Not that anyone in a Vette would drive in snow but your standard tires at a standard width probably wouldn't be a whole lot different if you had something slightly wider than stock. And any snow tire is going to amazing in the snow compared to any all season tire. I like Michelins myself but thats mostly personal opinion. They have good quality but also one of the few that will actually post a mileage rating for their snow tires. So you can get a decent life out of them compared to some other brands of snow tires.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I really like the Toyo RT tires.... not sure if they have them in your size...working well for me on my lifted sequoia with 35x12.50x17 on the stock 2006 wheels.

They handle snow and some mild ice/snow mix well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW I know they aren’t dedicated snows but I’ve had BFG KO2’s in 245/75R16 on stock Tundra alloys since last November and loved them in a couple of the mild east-coast snows we had in the time since then. Deepest was a wet mid-Atlantic 10” over unpaved ground in hilly Maryland last December and they did fine in 4HI. Maybe not what you’re looking for but I thought I’d chime in my opinion that for lighter snow regions these seem to be pretty good and I use them year-round every day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Narrow helps let the snow out from under the tire. Tiresize.com let's you keep diameter close. Higher sidewall gets all out of the snow, including axles. Volkswagen bugs were super. Tall narrow. Watch the weight ratings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any help would be great.
On the ice, narro
Any help would be great.
i would recommend a 245/75r16. It is about an inch more narrow. You can’t beat Blizzacks, with traction control you will be good. 👊

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
On the ice, narro

You can’t beat Blizzacks, 👊
Years ago I would have agreed but not sure anymore. Still a great tire but next vehicle I need snows for I will try out Michelins. They are the only ones I am aware of that actually have a mileage rating on their snows. I have Michelin all seasons on my truck and they are hands down the best tire I have owned so far. Excellent in dry, wet, snow, you name it. It will be interesting to see if their snows are as good as their all seasons.

·
Registered
143 Posts
On roads with a little bit of snow, narrower is better as you get more pressure per area of contact patch. Deep snow would benefit from wide tires that "float" (think arctic expedition trucks). If you're worried about your tires being narrow enough, just get a 3PMSF all-terrain or snow tire in the OEM width and you'll be more than fine.

I've had several all season, all terrain, and mud tires on my 02 Tree...
265/70R16 all-seasons were fucking awful in the snow and off road... never again will I ever buy an all-season tire.
285/75R16 all-terrains (Geolandars, Grabbers, and BFG KO2s, all 3PMSF tires) were hands down the best so far on hard pack snow and light power, never got stuck. And the KO2s had by far the best braking and cornering in the snow.
315/75R16 mud-terrains have so far been great in dirt and mud and not bad on wet tarmac, but I won't be back in the snow until January so I can't say just yet how well they will do in the snow. I predict they will handle deep powder well but not be as good as the all-terrains on roads with hard pack. Might need to get the hot knife out and sipe them a little.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
On roads with a little bit of snow, narrower is better as you get more pressure per area of contact patch. Deep snow would benefit from wide tires that "float" (think arctic expedition trucks). If you're worried about your tires being narrow enough, just get a 3PMSF all-terrain or snow tire in the OEM width and you'll be more than fine.

265/70R16 all-seasons were fucking awful in the snow and off road... never again will I ever buy an all-season tire.
This is where I see it differently. I dont think it has anything to do with all season or not, just the quality of the tire. My OEM BFG's on my current truck were garbage all the way through. Wet, dry, snow, poor life span, you name it. Now I have all season Defender LTX's and those are amazing in all the aspects I just mentioned. In the winter time with the BFG's I basically needed to be in 4 wheel anytime there was even a trace of snow on the ground. With the Defenders its not even close, I almost never need 4 wheel in even the worst snow storms and the only reason I do is mostly just to exercise the system to keep everything loose. Yes, a true snow tire would still be even way better, but with a tire like the ones I have on it now, and the ability to use 4 wheel as when I want to, I dont need to outfit my truck with snows.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is where I see it differently. I dont think it has anything to do with all season or not, just the quality of the tire. My OEM BFG's on my current truck were garbage all the way through. Wet, dry, snow, poor life span, you name it. Now I have all season Defender LTX's and those are amazing in all the aspects I just mentioned. In the winter time with the BFG's I basically needed to be in 4 wheel anytime there was even a trace of snow on the ground. With the Defenders its not even close, I almost never need 4 wheel in even the worst snow storms and the only reason I do is mostly just to exercise the system to keep everything loose. Yes, a true snow tire would still be even way better, but with a tire like the ones I have on it now, and the ability to use 4 wheel as when I want to, I dont need to outfit my truck with snows.
We have had literal opposite experiences with all-season tires hahaha. I've never tried the Defender LTX, but my dad has used them on his 4Runner and said he really liked them in the snow, much like you did. I believe he recently switched to the LTX A/T2 however. He's in the Tahoe basin right now, I'll have to ask him how the tires compare on snow/ice when he gets home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts