Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a 2002 Tundra Access Cab. I have 2 big dogs that will need to ride with me - a 70 lb lab and 75 lb collie/retriever mix. Does anyone have any experience with putting dogs in the access cab? Will they fit - that's my big question! Thank you!

·
TS
579 Posts
Great Question!

I had an english setter puppy, a fully grown large munsterlander and a full grown bernese mountain dog in my truck today. Took them to the lake to play. Yes, they will fit.

·
TS
579 Posts
I only one time made a 4 hour trip with 2 dogs, it was rough with a passenger, but if you can recline the front sear and put one up front, it is not so bad. My dogs seem to get restless when crammed.

Max

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Pit and Rottie both fit fine, but I have a DC. They did make several long distance trips with me in my old Dodge Ram and they did fine. A little cramped, but they'll survive.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I take my 50lb German wirehair with me on all my long trips, with my wife and 17 month old toddler too. My toddler's car seat fits in the middle of the back seat.

Without a child seat in the back you should be just fine. You might build up the floor to the level of the seat, so that they have one big flat area.

I do get annoyed that my dog puts his head up in the front of the cab, either on my right shoulder or through the seat belt between the window and the head rest. It's annoying enough to me that I can't wait for an '08 DC or CrewMax, but of course I'll be buying one only because we're cramped as a family (not just my dog and me).

·
Registered
379 Posts
I drive with my 2 boxers sometimes (one is 50 lbs, one is 65). It's kind of a cramped fit, and I don't think I'd do it for a 5-7 hour trip. You could adjust things though, like move your front passenger seat all the way forward. The biggest problem most likely for your dogs is the actual length of the backseat. With big dogs like that it might be a little short.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I doubt it will be a problem, but the idea of making the entire back seat area the same level is a good one. Just stuff some pillows behind the front seats to fill up the space, maybe add a blanket.

The other option is to build a dog box in the back, my father has used this method for years, keeps them safe the air holes are on the side and back so they don't get any bugs or dirt in their eyes. Best of all you don't have hair all over the cab.

They might not like the box at first, but after they get used to it, there shouldn't be any problems.

With my father's dogs, when they see the box being put in the truck they get all excited and are in there in a flash. When the box is off loaded at the cottage, one dog sleeps in it. I'm not sure if he just likes it or if he's afraid he's going to be left behind.

Just make sure you secure the box so it doesn't slide around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 100lb German Shepherd a 75lb Shepherd/Rottie mix and a 40lb boxer/pitt mix and they ride in my AC just fine. There is some initial wrestling for position by them but they eventually calm down and get situated very nicely in the back. As one of the other posters stated the dog hair clean up after the trip makes for a long process. Anyone who owns a shepherd knows what I am saying :D Tundra Hicks suggestion is an excellent one though with the rear dog boxes and would probably do this for long hauls with the dogs. They may be a bit safer in crates rather than flying around in your cab in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I my self have a 115lb Lab, old and fat. he fits, but it's un comfortable for him unless I push my passenger seat forward. With two big dogs I think it would be way to crowded, whats wrong with throwing them in the bed? easier and the truck wont smell like A$$

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
This would be like driving wife and 3 girlfriends around to shopping malls for a whole weekend! When they blow air!! the dogs!! on a long trip are ya going to be ok with that??:td: Oh yea it will be tight for them on long trips!!:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a rottweiler mix that is about a 1.5 years old. After having him ride in my access cab for a year I upgraded to an A.R.E. topper. He was too much of a dog to have in the small area. It's hard to imagine having two dogs his size behind me as I'm trying to drive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a 2002 Tundra Access Cab. I have 2 big dogs that will need to ride with me - a 70 lb lab and 75 lb collie/retriever mix. Does anyone have any experience with putting dogs in the access cab? Will they fit - that's my big question! Thank you!
Bet my two dachshunds could take those overweight fur balls...........:D

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I have a rottweiler mix that is about a 1.5 years old. After having him ride in my access cab for a year I upgraded to an A.R.E. topper. He was too much of a dog to have in the small area. It's hard to imagine having two dogs his size behind me as I'm trying to drive.
Its the flying hair which really irritates me.

Having them jumping around to see a cat or something of interest comes second.

I suppose the bad breath (from both ends) comes third.

·
Registered
306 Posts
my football coach got the DC with the window in back that goes down. he got bed rug and the camper shell thing. so all he does is put the dogs in the bed and roll down the window. that way he can check on them or whatever and they don't ruin his seats.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
I have two mutts of the canine persuasion; combined weight of about 100 pounds. They ride in the back of my AC all the time; sometimes on 300-400 mile trips. There is plenty of room for them.

I also highly recommend one of these:

Deluxe Quilted Rear Seat Hammock

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I also highly recommend on of these:

Deluxe Quilted Rear Seat Hammock
I also have this same hammock in my DC, the lab used to scratch the console trying to get in front. Now she is confined to the back. The black lab and the Siamese cat all behave but the cat we have to leash him or would never get him out from under the seats.
So yep not only dog breath but cat breath and slobber on all windows. Plus all of the hair associated..... When they are at home I open all windows and the sky light and run down the road hair is sure a flying every where. eventually it all leaves

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also have this same hammock in my DC, the lab used to scratch the console trying to get in front. Now she is confined to the back. The black lab and the Siamese cat all behave but the cat we have to leash him or would never get him out from under the seats.
So yep not only dog breath but cat breath and slobber on all windows. Plus all of the hair associated..... When they are at home I open all windows and the sky light and run down the road hair is sure a flying every where. eventually it all leaves
I have two 60 pound dogs in the back of an '07 Tundra ltd DC. Do you think there would be enough room for them with the hammock? I'm wondering if it would use too much room near the back of the front seats, as they normally use that space as the turn around to re-positoin themselves.

As it is now, I put the back seats up and lay a baby crib matress on some plastic containers to make it more stable. I just can't help but wonder if the hammock would be more secure and comfortable for them.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
The hammock works great. our labs get situated find they can rest there head on the hammock etc.
The worst part is the auto windows they or the cat have figured out they can push the button and roll the window down. Whoops! Have to remember to lock the windows.
We generally travel 500 miles a day with them back there with the puss. The lab mix weighs around 40lbs the cat he's a 10 lber and the yellow lab she is now down around 60 lbs. they work out the pecking order after a few miles and they soon pass out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2 big dogs were fine in the back once they settled down. but they were very happy when I got a topper. Now they have room to move and we have no hair flying around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts