Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm 17 years old and new to tundra solutions. It is an amazing site I have collected loads of info from it the last few days. Here is my little project:
My 2000 tundra (my dad's) has 210,000 miles. It's a 4x2 limited. It was running perfectly, no flaws whatsoever. It is completely stock except for straight piped dual exhaust (made in the garage). Our truck has a lot of miles towing trailers, including our 16' v nose trailer loaded to the hilt with dirtbikes and camping gear. While driving to iowa, towing the trailer (We live in Indiana) the transmission made a loud clank and then we lost all power to the wheels. tried reverse, drive, 2, and L... Nothing. So, after an all day adventure of getting the trailer home with another truck and getting the tundra home on a flatbed trailer (towed by our dodge caravan) we finally got it home and by the garage. I have always wanted a manual transmission in the truck. It would be perfect for towing, because it would hold a gear instead of always downshifting like the automatic does. So, I started researching and finally came up with a plan that... I THINK will work. I may not have all my facts straight so let me know if there are corrections to be made.

I started by putting the front end on jackstands to get as much room under it as possible. I don't have the privelege of a lift. I removed the driveshaft. Then I unplugged all the electrical connections, and removed the oil cooler and the two hydraulic lines. I unbolted the transmission (easier said than done) and after 5 hours of hard work, we had it off and out from under the truck. Here are some pics to entertain you.

Truck in the work area:

100_4836.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

Transmission and Flywheel out:

Trashed O/D planetary gear (this is a pretty common failure I believe)

Breaking loose the dowels haha

jack supporting the A340 Tranny

After a day of work the transmission was out and torn apart searching for what went wrong. We found the O/D planetary gear ruined and there was metal shavings all over in the oil pan.

A few days of research and I believe I have discovered a way this will possibly work! I hope..

Ok, so the toyota/lexus 1uz, 2uz, and 3uz v8 engines are sometimes dropped into toyota supras. the supra comes with a 3.0L inline 6 and some people swap the motor for a toyota v8. They then mate the v8 to the transmission in the supra. The manual transmission on the supra (non turbo'd) is a from the W series transmisson. In this case, a W58. Now, although this may sound fairly simple, that's not so. There are several ways you can mate the v8 to the w58 transmission. Soo, that being said, I decided to do the opposite and mate the supra's W58 transmission to my toyota tundra 4.7L V8. In my case, I chose to order this kit: w58 adaptor complete package

The guy who makes them is extremely helpful and full of knowledge.

The adaptor plate goes from the W58 gearbox to the A340 bellhousing, which bolts to the engine. I also ordered a W58 transmission from a wrecked supra and a new Exedy OEM clutch kit.

Another hurdle is a clutch pedal.. A pedal setup from the v6 tundra with the manual transmission would not mount unless I moved my brake master cylinder and mount. I decided to just make my own. I purchased a bearing race w/ mount, a bearing with 1/2in I.D., and a 1/2in pin. The pin fit nicely in the bearing and I figured it would work perfectly as a pivot for a clutch. I purchased a clutch master cylinder from the local auto store for 27 bucks and got to work. I mounted the master cylinder and made a plate to mount my bearing race pivot. I got out the ol' flux core welder and disc grinder and started workin on it. I had to cut the brake pedal :eek: and move it to the right as well as cut about 1/4 of it off to make room for the clutch pedal. I got a 5' piece of 1/4 in steel, this is what I used for the actual arm of the pedal. After working all day, this is what I have finally constructed:

The arm actually goes over the top of the brake arm. There was no room on the left side of the firewall (it is taken up by electronics and the brake pivot, and switch. By the way- If you're wondering what the little black box is on the upper left, it is a switch for my airhorns.

the blue part is the race, with the bearing inside. you can see where the master cylinder comes through as well.

The master cylinder

The clutch pedal does stick out slightly farther than the brake pedal, but when you sit in the seat it has a nice feel to it, it is in a pretty decent position.

Another mechanical situation I will have to figure out is the shift linkage. I plan on just cutting a hole on the tranny hump (in front of the bench seat) and running it up through there, sealing the elements off with a nice rubber boot from some other vehicle. I may have to extend the linkage so that I am not constantly bent over while shifting. This is all fairly simple.

Here is the stock flywheel, bellhousing, and bolts. The flywheel I won't use, because the kit I am ordering comes with the proper one for use with a manual clutch.

Sooooo, I believe I have the mechanical issues solved. Now for the electronics... :confused:

I spoke with the head wrench at a transmission shop here in town. He has been working on automatics and manuals for over 20 years. He told me that the electronics will not be an issue accept for the speed sensor and park/neutral start switch. I have already rigged the park/neutral switch so that it is always in the Park (and therefore able to start) position. The speed sensor I will figure out eventually, possibly using a universal speedo w/ driveshaft pickup. He told me to just seal up the other connections with something to prevent corrosion and tuck them neatly above the transmission. He says they will not be needed and won't throw anything off. Also, I forgot to ad that before I removed the transmission, I unplugged all of the transmission connections and fooled the park/neutral switch to thinking it's in park. I turned the key and.. wuala! it started right up. I revved it up a few times and it ran just fine, settling back down to a sewing machine idle each time.

So here I sit. Waiting for kit, clutch, and transmission to arrive at my doorstep. I will update this when they arrive!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Interesting! I remember watching that show "Rides" where they put a Toyota 4.7 into a IS300 and had problems getting the manual transmission to communicate with the computer. Not sure how they did it, but it was very interesting! Good luck, can't wait to see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
manual i this truck would be so much freaking fun i miss my lil 5 speed carolla

·
Registered
344 Posts
This should be interesting. I'm watchin this thread! Sucks the old tranny failed, but it did serve 200000 miles...and you're makin it a 5 speed, awesome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I don't think I'll have any problems with the electronics communicating. at least I hope not.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Very interesting and one heck of a project - keep us posted! BTW not to far from you there in Decatur and used to roll through there once a month but not anymore. Hope you get that thing running perfect. I would love to drop a five or six manual in my truck.

Points sent.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is a pretty sick project. I had no idea the Supra tranny could be swapped in. Hell I'd almost be interested in swapping in a 2jzgte and tuning that bad boy up. Too bad I have a 4wd and my dad would murder me if I touched that engine/tranny

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I do not believe it does. I called around to several different places and they all told me that it wouldn't bolt up.. I wish it would because that would make things a little easier.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Does the V6 3.4 manual transmission bolt on the 4.7?
No, I do not believe it does. I called around to several different places and they all told me that it wouldn't bolt up.. I wish it would because that would make things a little easier.
Any possibility of having a fab shop laser cut an adapter plate?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, that is definately a possibility. I looked into doing it actually, but there is another issue.. the Flywheel. The flex plate for the automatic has to be replaced with a custom flywheel that has the right surface for the clutch disk. The flywheel (for the v6 manual) will not bolt up on the tundra 4.7. So yes, this swap would work if you could somehow come up with dimensions for someone to make a custom flywheel and adaptor plate.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Are you guys sure about that? In the pinned 1 Gen transmission tech thread, both the 3.4 and 4.7 use the same automatics:

TUNDRA 00-04 4 SP RWD V6 3.4L V8 4.7L A340E
TUNDRA 00-04 4 SP 4X4 V6 3.4L V8 4.7L A340F

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not certain, but I am pretty sure. I think they have a different bellhousing. The transmission (or gearbox) might be the same, but I believe the bellhousing is different. I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The bolt pattern for the bellhouse should probably be the same between manual and auto. I have not seen many engines that used a different bellhousing bolt pattern between different transmissions.

The crank shaft bolt pattern for the flex/clutch plate should also be the same between auto and manual.

·
Registered
300 Posts
^^^ Interesting information!!! I didn't find anything about using the R150(F) manual transmissions with 2UZFE, so it may not be possible without modifications.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well... ITS ALIVE! After weeks of waiting on parts to arrive and a few small problems, its up and running. The ratios are really nice for cruisin around town, and 5th gear is really nice for the highway. I hooked it up to our large trailer and it tows really nice, not always downshifting. The 4th gear on the manual tranny is the same ratio (1:1) as 3rd gear on the automatic.

The automatic bellhousing is mated to the w58 manual with an adaptor plate. I used a clutch kit (friction disk, pressure plate) from a toyota mr2 (with a 3sgte engine) the flywheel came in the same kit as the adaptor plate came with. I am using a hydraulic throwout bearing instead of a fork type release setup. The hydraulic bearing required another adaptor plate in order to bolt on as well, inside the bellhousing. I took the driveshaft to a shop to be lengthened 3 1/8". They also installed 3 new u-joings, a carrier bearing, and balanced it. I purchased a slip yoke from them too (21 spline), because the automatic slip yoke was a 23 spline. I had to weld on a plate to my frame crossmember to mount the transmission, the manual mount is about 2 inches farther towards the front compared to the automatic. Cutting the hole in the floor for the shifter was really easy, and ended up in a nice place right in front of the bench seat. As far as electronics go, I fooled the ecu with the park/neutral safety switch so that it always thinks its in neutral. That way, it starts and runs fine. I hooked the oxygen sensors back up as well. The other connections (servos, temp, magnetic speed sensors?) are in plastic baggies and sealed up just to prevent moisture from getting to them. The automatic gear selector (on the steering column) does absolutely nothing now and just sits there (I might take it off in the future) I extended the shifter on the manual about 6 in up, and 2 in to the back, it is now in a comfortable position. The rigged clutch feels nice and seems pretty consistent hot or cold. Enough with the novel- here's some pics! I will post a video link later on when it uploads onto youtube.

The truck back in the driveway! (finally)

100_4855.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

The Supra W58 transmission (steam cleaned and painted)

100_4848.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

the 21 spline slip yoke

100_4847.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

the automatic bellhousing (2uz-fe, A340E) on left and W58 bellhousing on right)

100_4850.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

reconditioned driveshaft, the front section is 3 1/8" longer too

100_4858.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

The extended crossmember to tranny mount

100_4859.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

W58 tranny, auto bellhousing, connections ("sealed up") in the back you can see where the Cat USED to be)
100_4860.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

clutch master cylinder with lines hooked up

100_4861.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

shifter going up through the floor

100_4862-1.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

And, to top it all off, the gear on top of the shifter is from the automatic tranny (I believe its for the pump??)

100_4856.jpg picture by thecayub - Photobucket

Thats it! Let me know if you got any questions. I will post a video later on!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Awesome. Finally somebody did it in backyard :) One thing bother me are those zip lock bags under it :D got to do smth better then that :) otherwise i'm so envious of you having manual tranny.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha ya no kiddin, I just got it done a day or two ago. I am going to come up with some better sealing method soon. The only thing I cant get is the speedometer to work.. not sure how I'm gonna rig that. Oh, and reverse lights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 66 Posts