Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've followed the intsructions on a past thread and still can't seem to find the ECU to program my new remote. Does anyone know if they put the ECU anywhere else on some models?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn thing ended up being above the fuse box on the left side, and of coarse, the remote wouldn't program anyway

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be carefull if you buy a remote off ebay. they will tell you that the remote with the code BAB237131-056 will work for 2000 up, but they won't. At least for the 2000 you will need the rounded remote with the code BAB237131-022

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I went through this crap several years ago when I bought my 02 used with no fobs. I had one dealer telling me that my truck didn't have keyless, and another (who actually gave a crap), tell me that it did, but they couldn't program it! I said screw it, and bought an aftermarket viper for 125. It sucks, but I didn't have to screw around with it anymore.

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
I went through this crap several years ago when I bought my 02 used with no fobs. I had one dealer telling me that my truck didn't have keyless, and another (who actually gave a crap), tell me that it did, but they couldn't program it! I said screw it, and bought an aftermarket viper for 125. It sucks, but I didn't have to screw around with it anymore.
1st = NICE CHEVELLE!!!

If your tundra did indeed have the keyless, sometimes what would happen is that when they installed it from the factory they would program the fobs and then if that option was not bought for the vehicle, they would unplug the wireharness for the keyless from the ignition switch and then plug it back into itself so that the fobs would work(if they were found and sold) but no more could be added. I have run into this many times and all it took was to unplug the ignition switch and replug in the wireharness for the keyless that was plugged into itself. Then you could program more remotes.

The Viper is a better alarm anyways. Your better off.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've followed the intsructions on a past thread and still can't seem to find the ECU to program my new remote. Does anyone know if they put the ECU anywhere else on some models?
Turned out mine was installed by the dealer, not the factory. the ecu turned up glued into place, behind the dash, right above the fuses on the drivers side. the remote that goes with the ecu installed by the dealer was rounded and black...the one from the factory was the same shape, but gray. At least that was my understanding. I was able to get the remote working after finding the ecu

·
Registered
30 Posts
Coming at this much later than this thread has been active. Sorry. Here is my question however. I found the ECU (you all are right... bugger of a location). I see the green circle in the recess. But when I try and push it, I don't feel like there is any button action going on. I am using a small micro screwdriver that fits into the recess, but no matter how hard I try pushing, I don't feel any give of a "button". Therefore I have been unsuccessful. Is the "button" something different from the green dot. Here is a photo of my ECU

IMAG0362.jpg

·
2,152 Posts
No, that green button should be it, IF that IS the ECU....However, are you sure that isnt the glass breakage sensor?...I ask, because on my 2000, the ECU is over on the left side of the steering column, on the side of the cab, above the fuse block, behind the vent outlet....My glass breakage sensor is is under the steering column, about where the box in your picture is...But IIRC, my sensor box is black...I also ask, because its hard to tell in your pic, but it almost looks like there is a "slot" for a screwdriver in the middle of the green dot...The glass breakage sensor has an adjustment rheostat in the side...Can you get a closer pic of the green "dot"?

Can you tell if that box has 3 harness plugs on it, or just 1? (ECU has 3, glass sensor only has 1)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the reply Stone_Blue. I will have to check on the number of plugs and if there is a screwdriver slot tomorrow in the daylight. The other detail I should add is that my truck is a 2002. I don't know if that is different from a 2000, but your idea that I am not looking at the ECU might explain why I can't get a button to depress by pushing on that green dot.

I did try triggering the door locks with my current remote and I swear the beep sound seems to be coming from under the hood, but I don't see anything there... it is probably so close to the firewall, that it just sounds like it is under the hood.

The box in my picture is to the right of the steering column. pretty much straight above the throttle pedal. I did discover that if I got into an "upside down" position with my head on the break pedal (with the break pedal completely depressed I would see the box in my picture. Tomorrow I will try and get a closer picture of the green dot.

Thanks again

·
2,152 Posts
Hmmm...OK...RS3000 should pretty much be the same exact setup for '00-'02s....I looked thru the installation instructions, and it looks like a dealer installed system SHOULD have the ECU mounted on a bracket, to the right of the steering column, above the gas pedal...??

As to the piezo chirper, that is located in the engine bay, at the back bottom of the charcoal canister box (between the fender and brake booster)...Its a small cylinder, hanging from a small wire harness.

Also, are you trying to program a NEW remote to your system, or RE-program an original remote?....I believe you only need to hit the button on the side of the ECU when programming a replacement remote, NOT when re-programming an original remote...

EDIT: Just found the Dealer Installation Instructions online: http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/tundra/2000tundrars3200install.pdf

Even though someone labeled the file as "3200", they are actually for a 2000- RS3000.....The RS3200 didnt come till 2003's...
Piezo location is Fig. E2 on Pg 12.... :) Thats where mine is, also...

Theres also this link: http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/alarminfo/alarminfo.htm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you for the links Stone_Blue! I am starting to think the ECU might be in an odd location. I have read some posts that it was found behind the glove box. Also... according to my dealer, my truck has a "factory installed" "connivence package". The FCC number on my original key fob is BAB237131-022, which I am told corresponds to a RS300 system even though it was not "dealer installed".

And yes, I am trying to program a new key fob. My original works but has a broken bit so I can't put it on my key chain anymore... All I'm trying to do is get fob that I can clip to my keys. I bought an after market option (square shape with 4 buttons as apposed to the football shaped one that I have) from iKeyless.com. They say it works with the fine with the 2002 Tundra and the RS3000 system... At this point I am wishing I had bought a new football shaped fob and simply swapped out the guts from my broken case fob!

The temp is all the way up into the high 20s here in Minnesota today, so I'll get out there and keep looking. I'll also try and get a closer picture of the green dot on the controll box picture I posted earlier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alright... I strongly suspect that I am not looking at the ECU. Here is another pic.

IMAG0366.jpg

It shows some kind of dot in the middle which makes me think you are correct and it might be a glass breakage ECU. I can not be absolutely positive, but I can only see one set of wires coming out of it. I couldn't get a good photo of that area. But it would explain why I cant push any kind of button in that green dot.

I don't see anything on the door side of the steering column that looks right.

Another thing I noticed after looking at the dealer installation instructions you sent a link for (http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo...200install.pdf), is that my truck does not have the status monitor installed. I'm not sure what that might mean.

Unless you have any other ideas, I think my next step is to pull the glove box and see if anything is back there. And/or pull the lower dash cover and see if I can see anything on the side of the cab, above the fuse block, behind the vent outlet...

Thanks again... This turned into a MUCH bigger job than I thought I was getting into!

·
2,152 Posts
Hmm....Not sure about the missing status monitor...

As to the glove box, I think its 2nd Gen Tundras that have the ECU behind the glovebox. Its pretty easy to check for you though...IIRC, you can open the glovebox, and without having to remove anything, squeeze the sides of the top edge of the box, near the back, and you should be able to pull the top of the box away from the dash, so it hangs down, and you have access to the area up behind it...

I think the only ECUs you will find on that side are the main truck ECU and the 4WD ECU.

Again, my alarm ECU is above the e-brake and fuse block, behind the foglight switch panel, to the left of the vent tube...Kinda hard to get to....You might be able to access the side of it reaching up under the dash if you are laying on your back looking up at it....If you cant get to it that way, its not difficult to pop off the bottom dash panel under the steering column, then pop off the foglight switch panel...

Here's a pic of mine, with me holding out in front of where it came out:

DSCN0132.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts