Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I cruise this site periodically as I have an '04 4Runner and an '04 Tundra both 4wd (which does get used) and awesome vehicles but in a nagging way have kind of lusted for a Cruiser. Have found locally a 2000 with 46k miles, one owner, all records, bought locally, same dealership I go to, best color, exterior excellent, interior some issues but can get redone reasonably. Current owner, very nice guy, claimes 16 - 17 mpg regardless of city/highway. Kind of want this due to lust factor and price is really attractive but kids are all over me on the mileage thing as well as friends who have '04 models who claim 11mpg in town and 15mph hwy. This is costing me sleep, what do I do? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Buy it, you'll love it. Extrapolate the higher fuel burn out over a year compared to something else and you'll see it's really not that much. 45k miles is barely broke in. Plus, it's a very safe vehicle for your family. What are they asking for it?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I say buy it too! You'll love it for sure! It's basically like the 3/4 ton version SUV, when compared to the 1/2 ton Sequoia. The gas mileage is pretty hard to change on these trucks, but I would highly recommend switching your fluids to synthetic. My wife's landcruiser only got about 11-12 mpg's, and we were able to get it up to around 16-17 mpg's just with RedLine synthetic in the diffs, transfer case and I cheaped out and put Mobil1 Extended performance in the motor. Ran better, and will last forever.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Surf IH8MUD.com - Your Online Offroad Tech Resource. That will convince you. the mileage is nothing. I have 145K on my 99 and the engine is smoother now than when i bought it. I get 13-15.5 in town and 16-17.5 on the highway as long as i don't exceed 70mph. i have synthetics in all gearboxes but don't use synthetics in the engine. I've spent less than $1000.00 on repairs which includes $400.00 on CV boots. You can do most scheduled maintanence yourself..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buy it...for the mileage alone. I bought my 2000 in 2004 with 42k on it. I now have 170k on it. KNOCK ON WOOD...NO PROBLEMS.
Regular maintenance. 'organic' oil in the engine. I might do the synthetic in the transfers (IS IT TOO LATE???)

Just took a round trip in it over 1800 miles. The best vehicle I have ever owned. Will try to find another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts