Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I always use the dealership coolant for the radiator, because last year I change it and put amsoil Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant with about 50 50 mix, I'm wondering if its ok to use on the aluminum block and heads? and what is the stock battery toyota put in their 2000 tundra 4.7L?

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
Why did you buy the Amsoil coolant without knowing if it works on your truck?
Read here: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ant.aspx, 13 lines from the bottom, "Aluminum engine block compatible."

Stock battery is a 12V TrueStart. :tu:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a 2000 Tundra V-8 and my local shop serviced my coolant system with DexCool for about a year and a half. During that time I had to replace my radiator, water pump, and thermostat manifold seal (all for leaks). Moral of the story...I'll stick with Toyota Red from now on!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Smokes! DexCool is evil sh!t. I can't believe GM uses that garbage

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use Zerex Asian or Peak Global.

After 10 year, thermostat leak, radiator, and water pump would be pretty normal. I wouldn't blame the Dexcool. Usually its the lack of maintenance that causes coolant problems. I have yet to see Dexcool to be at fault.

Amsoil is not a bad coolant. But, since it is almost impossible to remove all your old coolant, you're still stuck with regular antifreeze maintenance intervals. So, there really is no benefit to a $35 jug of coolant when a $10 jug and some deionized water will be just as good for your regular intervals.

AMSOIL - Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant (ANT)

·
Registered
216 Posts
The coolant should be changed every 2-3years or 30k.
Thermostat needs to be replaced every 60k or at every 2nd coolant change. No point on waiting for it to fail and take out a head gasket.
Water pump can be changed at each timing belt interval, or 100k.
Hoses should be replaced at 100k or 5 years.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I prefer dealer thermostats always.

I've had nothing but issues with Stant and other store bought junkostats.

Toyota thermostat is what I recommend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts