Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Hopefully I can get some insight on here but there are probably less and less first gen owners these days. I've got a 2000 Tundra that was a one owner for the first 17 years of it's life. I bought it with about 152k and everything worked great at the time. The paint was shit but didn't care too much about that for the price and mileage I got it at. Anyway I raptor lined the entire truck and put a 2.5" and 1" lift on it shortly after I bought it. Drained and filled fluids on everything to make sure it was in good order. About 2k miles into owning it developed a drive train vibration which seemed to come from both front and rear of the vehicle. I removed the small lift I install not long ago. And the vibration the front reduced greatly but the rear vibration was still there strong.
I had the rear shaft checked out and everything was good with the joints and carrier but the balance was off a little. Had that done but the vibrations continued. I focus on the front driver side issue for awhile and found a lot of slop in the cv axle into the diff housing. A little research and I found the ECGS bushing. So I ordered that and installed it. I just made my own tools for removing and installing. So that cured the front vibration!! So I've been dealing with this rear vibration for about 8k now and its really annoying. It comes and goes but its there almost daily. To be more specific the vibrations are little the truck is driving over the rumble stripes on the hwy. It starts somewhere around 20 mph and stops after about 55 mph. It seems braking down from the speeds there is a surging type feeling and noisy type vibration sound happening at the same time like the truck doesn't want to down shift... I think it must be a torque converter clutch not disengaging. Also for the hell of it I replaced my rear axle bearings just to see if that may be problem but it wasn't those bearing were still good in my opinion. I drop the trans pan and found no issues in the pan just the usual amount of praticles on the magnets. I replaced the 2 shift solnoids and TCC solnoid and the filter. Still no change though. Because the timing belt hadn't been done in almost 8 years and 60k and decided to change the belt and the works related to it. Man I tell what even though the parts 8 years old the belt looked good and in time and the pump had no leaks at all. Oh well changed it out anyway but didn't do anything for the vibration issues. There are no OBD2 codes at all. I did find one bad coil but it never ran bad but just tested each of them and found it. Replaced with denso of course. Fuel pressure was great and no signs of it being weak at all.o By the way I've been through 2 different sets of wheels and tires during this. First set were the steels with AT tires got rid of those and got 4runner rims and put michlen defenders on it and the vibration was the same. Not wheel or tire related imo.
I just feel like there is a TC or tranmission problem but there aren't any signs of slipping, leaks or anything ut of the ordinary. I know I'm all over the place with my diags but ruling out one thing after another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot some info. 2000 tundra 4.7 4wd at 162k now. I've done a lot to this truck. The brakes are new uncluding the calipers and wheel clyinders. Pretty everything related to brakes was done minus the proportioning valve which test out good. Vibration still haunts the truck to this day. Oh yeah the motor mounts and transmission mount were replaced too. For the hell of it I had an adventire with the exhaust manifolds which were both cracked upon buying it. I removed them and welded the front cylinders ports to seal the cracks up. Worked good for a year and then the gasket on the passenger side blew out. Thought it was re cracking but it was the gasket failure. The planed out the manifolds again to find that both had a lot of warpage that wasn't there before re install. Oh well so I put 2 dorman manifolds on it and no more issues on the exhaust since then. Worth the money because dorman fixed the oem part flaw. I could tell due to way they welded it comparing between the oem and dorman. Anyway hopefully someone chimes in on the transmission issue. At least I think it is that issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a similar issue a few years ago with mine, but . I had replaced the factory brake drums with aftermarket drums from O'Reily's. Come to find out, factory drums have a weight on the outside of the drum and the aftermarkets did not. Replaced the aftermarkets with factory drums and that solved my problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the oem drums on there with the weights on it too. When I started doing brake upgrades the problem stayed with and without oem drums.
Recently read about the OD issues and some bearing falling apart. The chunks would contaminate the transmission and jam it up...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info to rule things out. I did more diags that I forgot to mention.
I've done compression testing and are with in spec in the 170s. I checked that due a rough idling which has been there since the rumble strip feeling started. Removed TB and MAF and cleaned them. No change either. All the ignition coils still work good but I bought an after market set from ebay to swap out to rule those out. Still no change but know have back up parts.
Also did a complete front suspension job on it since I knew the control arm bushings and steering rack (leaking) would fail state inspection. No change at all with vibration but way better ride now with the shocks, control arms, ball joints, tie rods, rack, cv axles ect. Yup a lot of mpney in it but vibration is driving me crazy!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey DTcarmy916,
I had the exact rumble and braking behavior on my Crewmax. After too long a time it turned out to be a bad driveshaft and the center of shaft hangar bushing/bearing...after replacing that rumple strip feeling upon acceleration and sometimes braking went away and was good as new! Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum. Hopefully I can get some insight on here but there are probably less and less first gen owners these days. I've got a 2000 Tundra that was a one owner for the first 17 years of it's life. I bought it with about 152k and everything worked great at the time. The paint was shit but didn't care too much about that for the price and mileage I got it at. Anyway I raptor lined the entire truck and put a 2.5" and 1" lift on it shortly after I bought it. Drained and filled fluids on everything to make sure it was in good order. About 2k miles into owning it developed a drive train vibration which seemed to come from both front and rear of the vehicle. I removed the small lift I install not long ago. And the vibration the front reduced greatly but the rear vibration was still there strong.
I had the rear shaft checked out and everything was good with the joints and carrier but the balance was off a little. Had that done but the vibrations continued. I focus on the front driver side issue for awhile and found a lot of slop in the cv axle into the diff housing. A little research and I found the ECGS bushing. So I ordered that and installed it. I just made my own tools for removing and installing. So that cured the front vibration!! So I've been dealing with this rear vibration for about 8k now and its really annoying. It comes and goes but its there almost daily. To be more specific the vibrations are little the truck is driving over the rumble stripes on the hwy. It starts somewhere around 20 mph and stops after about 55 mph. It seems braking down from the speeds there is a surging type feeling and noisy type vibration sound happening at the same time like the truck doesn't want to down shift... I think it must be a torque converter clutch not disengaging. Also for the hell of it I replaced my rear axle bearings just to see if that may be problem but it wasn't those bearing were still good in my opinion. I drop the trans pan and found no issues in the pan just the usual amount of praticles on the magnets. I replaced the 2 shift solnoids and TCC solnoid and the filter. Still no change though. Because the timing belt hadn't been done in almost 8 years and 60k and decided to change the belt and the works related to it. Man I tell what even though the parts 8 years old the belt looked good and in time and the pump had no leaks at all. Oh well changed it out anyway but didn't do anything for the vibration issues. There are no OBD2 codes at all. I did find one bad coil but it never ran bad but just tested each of them and found it. Replaced with denso of course. Fuel pressure was great and no signs of it being weak at all.o By the way I've been through 2 different sets of wheels and tires during this. First set were the steels with AT tires got rid of those and got 4runner rims and put michlen defenders on it and the vibration was the same. Not wheel or tire related imo.
I just feel like there is a TC or tranmission problem but there aren't any signs of slipping, leaks or anything ut of the ordinary. I know I'm all over the place with my diags but ruling out one thing after another.
Did you check the driveline, any carrier bearings or u-joints? I had this issue with a Landcruiser years ago and the problem went away after addressing these areas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you check the driveline, any carrier bearings or u-joints? I had this issue with a Landcruiser years ago and the problem went away after addressing these areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New dorman drive shaft is installed.
Bad double cardon and carrier. Rumble strip feeling is still there though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts