Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major gas smell! I changed the OEM gas cap, charcoal canister, gas filler hose and vent hose, and all hoses coming into charcoal canister. Purchased all Toyota products, however I still smell gas behind driver door near gas cap/ tank. I see nothing dripping however I'm thinking I might need to drop the tank? I originally took it to the dealer for a check engine light which many say it's the gas cap however they said my charcoal canister was leaking and the gas filler hose. They said they would have to drop the tank to replace the gas filler hose. I thought this was bogus because it took me less than 30 minutes to replace it. My guess is they don't know either and are replacing things to narrow it down (process of elimination). Truck is in great shape no rust anywhere on it located in Florida.

Anybody else have have the same issue with a tundra--- I don't believe this to be a isolated case!

Thank You, Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Major gas smell! I changed the OEM gas cap, charcoal canister, gas filler hose and vent hose, and all hoses coming into charcoal canister. Purchased all Toyota products, however I still smell gas behind driver door near gas cap/ tank. I see nothing dripping however I'm thinking I might need to drop the tank? I originally took it to the dealer for a check engine light which many say it's the gas cap however they said my charcoal canister was leaking and the gas filler hose. They said they would have to drop the tank to replace the gas filler hose. I thought this was bogus because it took me less than 30 minutes to replace it. My guess is they don't know either and are replacing things to narrow it down (process of elimination). Truck is in great shape no rust anywhere on it located in Florida.

Anybody else have have the same issue with a tundra--- I don't believe this to be a isolated case!

Thank You, Scott

·
Registered
735 Posts
There was a post not too long ago about an owner with a gas smell. Turned out to be a damaged connection on one of the fuel lines coming off the top of the tank. IIRC, he was able to get to them without removing the tank.

If you cannot get to them, and need more room to access the top of the tank, it may be easier to remove the bed, either completely, or by removing the bed bolts on the drivers side, and loosening the bolts on the passenger side and jacking up the drivers side. Just be sure to safely support the bed if that is the route you go.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
+1 on checking the connections from the fuel pump on the top of the tank. On a 14 year old vehicle, it is not unheard of to have some deterioration in the rubber fuel hoses that connect to the tank.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
FYI... Merging this thread to the same thread in the 1Gen Forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! I'm in the process of checking the top of the tank. I used a mirror to look at it and can feel the lines on top of the tank however nothing seems loose or leaking gas at this time. However after checking everything else--- I believe this is the location were I get the increase smell of gas fumes. Looks like I will be dropping the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found it! Gerry the mouse chewed on one of the plastic vapor hose on top of the tank. Had to dropped the tank, however since we had it down on a 14 year old vehicle replaced everything fuel pump, filter, screen all gas and vapor little short hoses, roll over valve, etc. thanks for the help. My gut told me in the beginning to drop the tank however thought we should check or replace all the easy stuff on a older vehicle first. Sometimes you could have more than just one leak!

Set 4 large rat traps near my truck and a inferred 30mm gun turret, that should keep Gerry the mouse away from my truck!!! Dam that cost me...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Did you take any pictures? Thats always a good idea, esepecially in this case as this does not seem all that uncommong. You then end up helping the next guy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Gas Smell turned out to be a bad gasket between the tank and the sending unit

Researched this thread when my low mileage but older gen 1 Tundra started smelling like gas on driver's side. Was expecting Murphy's law problem - most complicated, like gasket on top of tank cracked due to age.... Took close look at (original) gas cap, and found one side of the o-ring gasket at the top of the threads had worked itself part way down the threads. Probably by getting caught on the holder on the filler door. So the cap had been feeling tight when turned all the way in, but wasn't actually closing to seal. Rolled the gasket back up into place and presto - problem solved. Duh. Wish every issue could be so easy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts