Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2000 SR5 tundra access cab 4.7l v8. It has 290,000 miles on it and now they are telling me I need a new frame. While the whole cost of it is covered, 98% of the truck is original. I am afraid they are going to give me a long list of things to fix. What im trying to get at is, what else do they replace on their dime besides the frame. I was just under there checking it out and it looks like they're going to have more of a hard time taking it apart then putting it back together. You would think toyota would buy this one back and want to see me in a new tundra...guess not...anyone have any stories for me on the whole process. Can I deny the new frame from them and still keep my truck? .......

2000 Tundra SR5
4.7L v8 4x4
290,000 mi
Original engine/Tranny---NO REBUILDS
Original owners son

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its rusted out. they found a golf ball size hole on the driverside towards the rearend..its all rusted out on the inside

·
Registered
63 Posts
Be careful. Make notes take pictures cause they aint covering anything. i needed a timing belt they gave me 100 off cause the motor was out but i had to replace all the o2 sensors and fix all the exhaust joints make a list and get them to sign off on it and ask them about what happens after!

·
Registered
366 Posts
at nearly THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND miles and needing a new frame, it's time to decide how long you are going to keep the truck. get a new frame and replace everything that it needs and drive it until 600K, or opt out of the frame replacement and take your chances.
How long the OP chooses to keep it has nothing to do with whether or not he should get his frame replaced.
Even if he plans to sell, a vehicle with a new frame is always worth more than a vehicle with a golf ball sized hole in the frame.

To the OP: In addition to the frame, I got new brake lines and front suspension arms. My shocks, which were aftermarket Bilsteins, were also replaced after negotiation because they had to be cut off due to corrosion. They put on OEM Bilsteins.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
How long the OP chooses to keep it has nothing to do with whether or not he should get his frame replaced.
Even if he plans to sell, a vehicle with a new frame is always worth more than a vehicle with a golf ball sized hole in the frame.
I'm going with that he knows what should happen. However, I read his post from more of a financial point of view of having a bunch of extra work done and thus, gave him the answer I did.

As far as the value of a 2000 with a new frame and one without a new frame to the average joe not on TT or TS, that is open for debate. I would personally rather know what I was getting and have my dealer replace the frame so I knew what was done and by who while I oversaw the replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Well, since your main concern is what they will replace for free vs what you will have to pay extra for, I suggest reading the .pdf I've attached. It is the official Toyota documentation and procedure covering the process from start to finish. In it, there are "Parts Kits", which are all the little bolts, clips, lines, etc that will be replaced for free, IF they are broken or missing before or during the replacement process.

The MOST important thing I think in having your frame replaced is to find a reputable, trustworthy, and quality dealership to do the work. Yeah, thats quite a task in and of itself, the way most dealers are.

When you take it in, let them know you have a copy of the TSB, and you are familiar with the procedure, and what parts are covered for free replacement. Take lost of pics and notes of the frame AND the rest of the truck BEFORE you take it in. Discuss any concerns or issues with the Service Manager.

As to what $$ you may have to put into it, I can only suggest you do some reading on the many threads about frame replacement here on TS, to see what common parts others have had to pony up for, themselves. Some people do have items replaced only to save on the labor. (ie Timing belt/water pump, exhaust, suspension, etc ) that dont really need replacing right now. If you DO need shocks, exhaust, steering rack replacement anyway, at least you will save $$ on labor, since they should be doing all the replacements free. (except timing belt/water pump...I'm sure you may have to pay SOME labor for that, but still not as much since they wont have to take as long getting things out to get to the front of the engine.) If there are things you or the Service Manager expect might have to be replaced that ARE NOT covered by the TSB, and that you will have to pay for, agree on them as soon as possible before they tear into the truck. Also, it seems you should be able to buy your own aftermarket replacements to have them put in, instead of being forced to go with dealer parts only.
Some people seem to have gotten the complete job done without having to spend a dime, while others seem to have been co-erced/misled into spending a couple thousand dollars, thinking they had no choices. Others have spent money on upgrades or work that needed to be done anyway, and still saved money on labor.

You have to decide if its worth possibly spending the money:
1) to have a truck with a new frame and new parts that may go another couple hundred thousand miles for you,
2) or if you can make some of it back by immediately putting your truck up for sale with a new frame and whatever new parts you had to pay for,
3) or selling it for parts or scrap as it sits now.

Heres the TSB Procedure:
View attachment 00-03 Tundra Frame Replacement Procedure.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
i had to pay for an xtra gallon of antifreeze... damn toyota/dealer.... knowing the trucks needs 2+ gallons, the recall only covered 1 gallon.. they covered everything else, even new control arms, shackles, the works... wth... i guess nothing is free...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't understand all of the talk on the forum in regards to all the extra cost associated with the frame replacement recal... Although the list of failing components on my truck was short (radiator was dumping coolant into the transmission, parking brake cable broken and a couple license plate lights where blown), a simple "no" was all that was required when I received the call from the dealer asking to replace the parts. I drove my truck away with a new frame and many other included parts without paying a dime.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't understand all of the talk on the forum in regards to all the extra cost associated with the frame replacement recal... Although the list of failing components on my truck was short (radiator was dumping coolant into the transmission, parking brake cable broken and a couple license plate lights where blown), a simple "no" was all that was required when I received the call from the dealer asking to replace the parts. I drove my truck away with a new frame and many other included parts without paying a dime.
I hope that's all it takes with mine... I dropped my truck off this morning and the dealer agreed for probably the hundredth time that I will not be charged for parts. They said if I wanted to put on new shocks/struts I could but agreed to put the old ones back on if I want.

I talked to them about the Replacement Procedure I read and they told me they bill Toyota for 40hrs of labor.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
i would have the work done if i were you and keep the truck as long as possible. if they are willing to replace the frame after that many miles then let them do it. its not the much for the extras they charge you for.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would have the work done if i were you and keep the truck as long as possible. if they are willing to replace the frame after that many miles then let them do it. its not the much for the extras they charge you for.
I get what you're saying and I would like to drive this truck as long as possible. However, right now the truck rides well and has no symptoms of worn out shocks/struts. I will replace them when they need it, I just don't want to shell out $400 in parts to replace working parts just because it's easier on their mechanics.

Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts