Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subwoofer Loudspeaker Audio equipment Sink Vehicle audio
First step was to see if a 10" sub would fit. I thought it would after taking some measurements.
Gas Plumbing fixture
Next step was to evaluate the existing storage compartment.
Auto part Automotive lighting
I sealed it best I could using Peel & Seal tape from Home Depot. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a first attempt. This acts as a sound deadening material like Dynamat.
Floor Vehicle Car Trunk Asphalt
I put the carpet back in and removed the plastic frame.
Tire Audio equipment Automotive tire Technology Subwoofer
I made the baffle out of 5/8" MDF. The rubber hose will act like a grille, allowing the sub to mover without it hitting the bottom of the seat. The MDF was primed, painted, and ultimately covered with spray on truck bedliner (as well as the hose).
Games Recreation Metal
Coated with spray on truck bedliner
Auto part Vehicle Car Audio equipment Vehicle audio
You can see the difference in height between the hose and the sub.
Subwoofer Audio equipment Vehicle audio Loudspeaker Auto part
Here it is in place, but not screwed down. I added the peel & seal to the underside of the baffle and added a rubber weatherseal around the perimeter to help with a seal and vibration.

I will add polyfill to the storage compartment before I screw it in place.

I'm having my Amp, wiring kit, and new head unit install next week, so I'll update the thread regarding performance. It may not sound good. I'm not sure. I've found several of these installs on the internet and they say it sounds nice. We'll see. Thanks for reading.

****Attached image is a custom fiberglass baffle that got me inspired to do this myself.****

Attachments

· Registered
365 Posts
Looking good man ! :beavbutt:

· Registered
30 Posts
I have a similar setup in mine, but I made a sealed enclosure for underneath. There is a set volume of air that needs to be trapped behind a 10" sub, and the way the rear seats are in those tundra's, the air pocket is too large. There is an air gap under the carpet between the left and right seats that is just big enough to get your arm in (almost exactly under the orange pipe wrench handle in your 1st picture). I would suggest filling this passage with some sort of foam or other insulating material to prevent air from moving from under the sub to the left side of the truck where the factory jack is stored. That should greatly improve the response and sound of your sub.

Otherwise, looks great!

· Registered
1,137 Posts
...or the air gap may make the sub sound better because it can use the volume of the other compartment as well. I'm assuming the Dynamat sealed that hole though.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
That's where the ladies sit :beavbutt:

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it all hooked up last week. I added some polyfill to the enclosure before screwing it in place. I have a 460 watt amp installed under the passenger seat. It sounds very good. It sounds even better with the seat up, but I cant really have it up with kids and cargo sometimes riding along. I also installed a Pioneer BT6500 head unit. That gives me better control with everything (highs, mids, lows, designated sub control). In the future, I'd like a new amp with remote to control the bass from the drivers seat. I'll try and get something up on youtube.
Thanks for commenting.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a short video on the sub. This was shot right after installation of the sub and the Pioneer head unit. The settings had not been adjusted yet for best sound quality on the stereo and amp. Also, this was shot on an iPhone and you're probably watching this on a computer or mobile device, so keep in mind that it is not an accurate representation.

***There are explicit song lyrics in this clip***

· Registered
1,137 Posts
It sounds even better with the seat up
Perhaps putting a more rigid spacer between the sub and seat would allow the cone to move more freely and give you more SPL. Try temporarily placing a couple wood blocks on either side and see if that makes any difference.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Maybe a long straight drawer pull or two to span accross.
:confused: What if you mounted the sub to the underside of the cover piece? That would give you an extra 1/2" or so of clearance on the top side, then you probably wouldn't even need the tubing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.