Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The check-engine light came on a few weeks ago, and the code was P0135. Found that's the driver-side front O2 sensor. So I replaced it. It wasn't terrible, but still the part cost $100! Once I was finished, the check-engine light didn't go out. The guy at Autozone said I just needed to unplug the battery for like half an hour. So, I unplugged it overnight.

This morning I spent like half an hour replacing the terminal connectors (old ones were corroding pretty bad and I had a battery issue earlier possibly due to the corrosion). Anyways, after getting that all done and dealing with the damn alarm, the truck started up and there check-engine light is off. I'm thinking I'm all set…

However, on my way to work, I stalled out 3 times because of a really low idle. I roll up to a stop-light and the engine dies. I had to put the damn thing in neutral and keep the RPMs up!

When I got to the parking lot, I rolled into my space and the engine died (again). I waited a second then turned it over and it sat there idling happily for a couple minutes!

Since everything was unplugged so long and I lost all my settings (trip-counters, check-engine light went off, etc…) I'm hoping that it's just the computer trying to figure out the proper mixture of things again. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Since your battery posts were corroded, I'm guessing your battery is more than a few years old. I had an issue where one of the cells from the battery was dead and would put the alternator into overdrive (+22V) for the first minute on startup. If I let the truck sit for a few days, the battery voltage would drop below 10.5V and I'd have trouble starting it. The worst part was that Autozone stated my battery was good after testing it. I also pulled the alternator and had it checked at a rebuild shop; they stated it was okay.

If you got your battery checked out it may show up as being bad since it stalled out several times.

Once I replaced my battery, I had no more issues, but it was 6-7 years old anyway and I should have replaced it.

I would suggest checking the battery voltage before starting and then through one of the 12V outlets in the truck after startup to see what happens in terms of voltage. Also, check it after it stalls out.

That may help in determining what's happening. The last resort is pulling the alternator and checking it out. Autozone has a tester for you alternator while its still hooked up in your vehicle, but they state its not completely reliable.

·
Registered
741 Posts
zootjeff I disconnected my battery, and the same thing happend to me, a few times now i am kind of use to it now,stalling, low idol, i just disconnected the battery again to let it reset itself. it starts up with no issues other than resetting radio and clock hope this helps :becky:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts