Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when I press the brake the truck drifts a little one way or the other. If you go into a curve and turn to the right the truck will drift a little to the left and vice versa for the other side. Just replaced the driver's side tie rod end and the 2 large large sway bar bushings(one on each side). The 1st time I felt it I thought the front end was hydroplaning. Lol it scared the piss out of me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Take it to a good shop that does alignments. Have them check everything. If they know what they're doing, it will not take them long. Personally don't trust "Stealerships" to know what they are doing. A lot of dealers simply don't want to fool with an older vehicle, so they don't put out much effort.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Good alignment is always recommended. I once had a tire that was bad and it caused the truck to pull to one side. Switched the fronts to the back and it went completely away. I replaced the tires. Our trucks are over 20 years old and old brake lines can cause one side to apply more pressure and cause a pull too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Here is a video on doing a wheel alignment at home. It is also a good way to get everything "in place". When you replace a tie rod end you should count the turns it took to unscrew the old one then install the new one the same number of turns. That gets it pretty close. I have used the video method after replacing both tie rod ends and it was amazingly close when I took it in for the tire shop to align it.. Take the time to do the alignment before you start buying parts????? I self aligned my 52 Ford F1 years ago and drove it for about 8 years that way... Chap

How to Perform Wheel Alignment by Yourself - YouTube

·
Registered
392 Posts
The rubber looks dried out and brittle. Jack it up enough to get the tire off the ground. Grab the front tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and see if there is play in it. You will feel it. Have someone else wiggle the tire and lay down and see what's going on. BE CAREFUL where you lay. There was a recall on ball joints on some Tundras so check that out also. If you are going to tear into the front end and can afford it I suggest you do some preventive replacement while your there. Chap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts