Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at almost 10 years old and 155,000 miles my front struts needs replacing. I am wondering, should I stick with OEM or are there better struts for the money? I really like the idea of leveling out the truck but do not want to change rims/tires. I have the Bridgestone Dueler AT's (P265-70R16) and my stock rims (as pictured below, sorry for the nighttime pic). Does anyone have any pics of this size tire/rim leveled out? I am worried it will make the tires look too small but I really want the truck leveled and I might as well take advantage of this fact when replacing the struts. The truck is only used for towing a small 16ft skiff around and daily driving, nothing crazy. I have read about people using the Bilstein 5100's on their Tundra's but they needed spacers? In a nut shell I want the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank but also potentially want to lift it, so suggest away.. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
See what strutmasters.com has for you. Great local company!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Don't put another stock set on. What you should get depends on the ride you're looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When toyota was doing my frame, they offered new front struts at $125 ea.
I bought the 5100's for $95 ea. I have not picked the truck up yet, but leveling the truck for $60 less than replacement made sense.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys.. After researching a bit I went with the 5100's.. Paid $199(incl shipping) which seems to be the best deal I could find. I liked the Bilsteins for the fact that TRD uses them to build their shock and also the lifetime warranty. It was tough finding any info on aftermarket struts other than the Bilsteins and Rancho. A lot of people complained about the Rancho's rough ride on the road so I choose to go the other way. The Bilstein HD's were only a few $$ less than the 5100's and I figured for $10 I will level my truck over the standard ride height the HD's would give.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
What about "Monroe sensa track" from "Rock auto parts" - those are $38 a piece for the rears. I won't lift or lower the truck - all stock. No offroading. Once a year i load it with 1500lbs when i have to move something. Anyone used these? I haven't heard anything bad about them and always thought of Monroe as decent shocks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have the Monroe sensatracs on my truck. I love them. Its stock height and I don't do much offroading either, monstly going down the local farming roads. To me the ride seems to be better than the Bilsteins that were on the truck.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Thanks for the input. The price is almost half of Bilsteins as well. I think i'm gonna go with these. That way i'll save a hundred for my rear stabilizer bar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts