Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the shocks (at least) need replaced on my '01. It is a 4cyl. LE.

Is this tough to do with basic tools? Do I need anything other than a spring compression tool? Will probably do both front and rear as the Camry is starting to porpoise alot with minimal bumps in the road.

Looking to do it myself (because I am cheap) and I have the time.

I printed out some stuff from turboninjas to help me. However, actual experience would be greatly appreciated in some pointers for time, tools, and tips.

Dealership wanted $1600.00+ for front and rear replacement. I think that is insane for shocks. Struts were even more. I didn't pay that for the car. It is my daily driver for work here in Houston for the 290 to Greenway Plaza trek.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. I have received multiple quotes for shocks/struts for all four and all exceed $1444.00. Still thinking of doing it myself. The dealerships want minimum $161.00 per strut just for parts and an additional $200.00 per for labor (none of this includes tax and requires that I leave the car there for 1 day). Plus an alignment for $80. The alignment will be a sunk cost as it is required with such an installation.

However, I have found a Monroe Quick Strut, that is twice the price of just a strut, that comes complete with the spring already installed. Basically just unbolt old and bolt-in new. So, for $750 after tax and a couple of hours on a day off I could get this done, then take it for the alignment. Basically under $900 for all four shocks/struts.

Is there something that I am overlooking? I could do this is in a couple of hours at home then go have it aligned all for almost half the price of a dealer install. And not have to fuss with compression spring tools.

Anyone have any experience or know of downside?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Several people on Toyotanation.com have tried the Monroe unit and liked it. Mike Gerber is one reliable source there in the Gen4 section who has them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts