Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, so if this question has been asked previously, please forgive. Getting ready to replace front rotors/pads on my 2001 Highlander. Rotors run from $25 to $185 each. Can anyone recommend a decent rotor replacement? Normal in-town driving, but occasionally put a 2400 pound boat on the back for short distances.
Thanks

·
Registered
910 Posts
NAPA.

You get what you pay for. Cheap rotors tend to be less dense and prone to warping. You might also check one of the board sponsors to see if OEM pricing is competitive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also, hopefully you are not replacing the rotors as a matter of routine. If they are not warped or cracked, leave them be and don't have them lathe turned. Just replace the pads and put it back together.

The new pads will seat quickly and be just fine.

Midas and others of that ilk appeared to have gotten a bunch of people in the habit of replacing rotors without cause, or worse, turning them whether they were warped or not. That makes them money now and in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input folks. These rotors were turned about 20K miles ago, so they got thinned out a bit--add a 19 yr. old male as the primary driver, and I'm pretty sure the shimmy during braking above 45mph means a warped rotor.
Appreciate the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts