Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, great site which I wish I had found earlier. I have already had the AC problems, and the rear door handle break, in addition to front brake pad/rotor issues. And my VSC lights have come on a couple of times, but only in extremely cold weather (2 F) with snow/ice built up in the wheel wells). But I have a 2001 with 130k miles, and in the big picture I feel it has held up pretty well.

Lately the brakes make a hissing sound when I take my foot OFF of the pedal. If I very lightly tap the brake pedal (not enough to actually engage the brake), the sound will stop for a bit. The frequency and volume of the sound increase as the air temperature increases. When the dealer looked at it over the winter, it was not very noticeable and I received the "all of them do that" speech (at the time the dealer had a bigger issue to deal with, it would not come out of 4WD).

It was warm yesterday, and the noise was very loud and happened every time I took my foot off the brake pedal.

In looking at the pedal assembly, there is a "plunger" that follows the pedal assembly down as you depress the pedal. It attaches with two bolts in a sliding groove which I assume is for an adjustment. Does anybody know what that part is called? Is it a sensor, or tied into the brake light circuit? It almost looks like I could put a few layers of tape over the bumper stop to adjust it as well...

Any thoughts? Is it a minor adjustment or is the dealer going to have to replace the whole booster asembly? This behavior does not appear to have any affect on the actual braking performance itself. It stops as it always has, with the same amount of pedal pressure.

Thanks,

-jhillard-

·
Registered
327 Posts
The brake booster is pneumatic vacuum, and there could be a leak in the chamber, the seal around the chamber or a hose.

That's my great idea at 1am :eek:

Z

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is definitely not the pads, they were checked recently.

It is a pnuematic (sp) sound. It only happens after I release the brake pedal and it returns to the normal position. It is almost like it returns a little to far and dislodges a seal on the booster. Putting the slightest amount of pressure on the pedal makes the sound go away.

Is there an adjustment for the return position of the brake pedal? Can anyone point me to an exploded diagram of the brake pedal assembly?

Thanks for your thoughts,

-jhillard-

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Not sure about the hissing noise...but here are some documents from the manual...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts