Toyota Tundra Forums banner

2001 Sequoia 4x4 AFT recomendations?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  nmcgrawj 
#1 ·
Whats up?!

A few years ago i bought my wife a 2003 tundra 4x4 step-side with 129,000 miles.
I went through the engine, timing belt/water pump and ALL the fluids. (I'm a master heavy duty tech)
It was clear TOYOTA T-IV was the only choice when it came time to replace the ATF filter and the fluid..

We liked the 03 Tundra so much, I bought her a 2001 Sequoia 4x4 limited with 129,000mi from an old lady which used it to take her late husband to, and from the hospital, as he refused to ride in a van.

They had all the maintenance done at their local Toyota dealer.

I have already ordered all the parts and stuff for a major service . Except the transmission fluid.. I am having a hard time choosing which ATF to use. At this point, all the options are aftermarket and there is NO Toyota brand (DEX III) fluid that is avialible.

I want to know what the community recommends before i bite the bullet and do a complete flush service.

I'm a mobil1 fan boy as I have used it in all my heavy duty and industrial application with complete success.

Seems like Valvoline MAXLIFE is popular. But, at $15 a gallon it just seems cheap and risky.

Castrol Transmax. like $25 a gallon..My parents used this for a long time in their Ford's and it never grenad-ed the trannies..

Amsoil, never used any their products. Their nomenclatures are confusing and nobody seems know what to use..

Royal purple is trash in MY opinion.

And then.. Mobil1 synthetic transmission fluid, at like $12 a quart! Do i trust it? Yes. do i want to pay like $200 for enough fluid to flush, not so much.

Not looking to have a contest to see what is "better" Just looking for the following:

In your 2001 sequoia:

1. What brand/type ATF do you use?
2. How long have you used it?
3. Current mileage?
4. Your satisfaction?

Anyway, thanks a-lot!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I went with Valvoline MaxLife ATF on my 06 4WD Sequia at ~135k miles. I did the full flush of the transmission (along with the other fluids in the drain train -- used Mobile 1 for the transfer case/diffs as I could get it locally). I'm happy about 10k miles later with a fair amount of towing of a ~4k pound trailer. I think the Valvoline stuff is good and I'd go with it again. It requires a lot of fluid so the less expensive cost is great but honestly I'd spend more if I thought I was getting something useful. But the Valvoline seems to be good to go and meets the required standards (and it's synthetic too).

Update: noticed today we're at closer to 154k miles so nearly 20k since the change and no problems.

#5 ·
Lots of folks recommend the maxlife but I've always been a fan of OEM fluids for transmissions. I picked up a case of Toyota OEM fluid at a local dealer. Might be a bit more expensive but how often are you changing the trans fluid? I don't know that a full flush is necessary. I'd just do 2-4 drain/fills.

#8 ·
2002 4x4 Limited, bought used at 250k miles. Had transmission fluid changed at 270k miles with Valvoline MaxLife. Trans has shifted fine since then, although the torque converter on mine is a bit cranky when cold. Maybe a couple hard shifts but nothing constant. No slipping or burning. Checked the fluid recently, it's a little dark, but no glitter. It'll be changed again before the year is out, so it'll be 30k+ on the interval. Mileage now is 305k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.