Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the temp is around 10 degrees or below my 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 gives me trouble starting. I turn the engine over and it fires for a second then stops. The only way it will stay running is if I immediately floor it when it fires and I have to hold the pedal to the floor for it to stay running and the check engine light comes on. It will stay running after several minutes but there is no response when I push the gas pedal until it is almost floored. If i try to drive it after it is warm the gas pedal still does the same thing ( it has to be floored but will only get up to about 45 to 50 MPH.) There is no response on the gas unless after it is warm I shut the engine off and restart it again then it drives normally. The engine light stays on and it will reset itself after a while. I already replaced the Air Intake Sensor on the air filter case. ($90) Could this be caused by the Throttle Position Sensor? I don't want to spend another $140 dollars if I don't have to.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Get the codes read. Even though the light goes off, the code should be in memory.

From your description, sounds like the ECM is dumping too much fuel into the engine, which is why you have to hold the throttle open (to let in enough air to light off all that fuel). It could be a poor signal from the engine coolant temp sensor causing the ECM to think that the engine is actually colder than it is.

Have you noticed black smoke out of the tailpipe on cold startup?

One thing is for sure...you're either getting too much fuel or not enough fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did get the codes read and that's why I replaced the air intake sensor. The code said it was bad. Should I get them read again? Oh and I haven't noticed any black smoke from the tailpipe but it stinks for a while after it starts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts