Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 120 K on this truck and the suspension is shot. Where Can I get the best prices on Bilstein shocks and struts. I know they make several different kinds with also a big price margin on them.

Tell me what some of you have bought and how well you like your choice please.

Also what should I expect to pay a local shop to install them?

I'm ready to order this comming week.

All replies appreciated.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Not another one!!?? :)

shockwarehouse has the lowest price....google for a 5% coupon too

Install rate depends on which local shop you have, expect to pay anywhere from $100-$400.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called SW today, they were closed. Summit said they would have to special order them for the Tundra. Autozone and Orieleys couldn't even get the 5100s.

I will Call SW next week to make sure that they are in stock.

During one of my searches I read where some are having problem with the CV joint from doing the lift on the 5100s. Is this common?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Called SW today, they were closed. Summit said they would have to special order them for the Tundra. Autozone and Orieleys couldn't even get the 5100s.

I will Call SW next week to make sure that they are in stock.

During one of my searches I read where some are having problem with the CV joint from doing the lift on the 5100s. Is this common?

For 5100s, try Toytec too.

About the CV joint, its not prone to 5100s, its spacers etc, if you lift you should do the boot mod.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Thanks for the info... I would like to raise the front level with the rear.

Thats what I did. ;)

You watching the Razorbacks game? My cousins Ryan Mallett, hes beastin' on em, 44-3!! :devil:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I called Shockwarehouse this morning and to no surprise they were out of stock on the 5100s. I called Toytec and ordered my dad and I both a set for our tundras. It ended up being $80 more, but at least I won't have to wait.

What should I expect the local tire shop to charge for installing them? Just to "level" my truck do I need to go with the highest setting on the front?

Are there any tips that I can pass along to the shop on the installation?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Well I called Shockwarehouse this morning and to no surprise they were out of stock on the 5100s. I called Toytec and ordered my dad and I both a set for our tundras. It ended up being $80 more, but at least I won't have to wait.

What should I expect the local tire shop to charge for installing them? Just to "level" my truck do I need to go with the highest setting on the front?

Are there any tips that I can pass along to the shop on the installation?

I got my Bilsteins from Toytec too, they were more money but I had them in 2 days.

About install cost, it really depends. With you being in Arkansas Im sure theres plenty of small local shops that can probably do it for $100 or cheaper.

On my '06 DC I set the front at the 2" notch and its perfectly level, not sure about your '01.....if you do some searching theres some threads out there w/ pics for you to compare or Im sure somebody with a AC could chime in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
and then the all important alignment.

Just my .02 but take it to Toyota and have them do the alignment, youd pay pretty much the same price no matter who does the alignment anyway.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
WRONG!

I have a lifetime alignment with Firestone that cost around $130.00
I'm sure others have a lifetime program too. Think about it. One curb or big pothole.....

I presume the orignal poster has no basic skills and tools.
At least on the rear, all required is handling 4 bolts. And getting dirty. And a little cussing maybe.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WRONG!

I'm sure others have a lifetime program too. Think about it. One curb or big pothole.....

At least on the rear, all required is handling 4 bolts. And getting dirty. And a little cussing maybe.
Either that or he has a heafty income and would rather pay someone to do it for him and let them do the cussing while he is out with one of his ladyfriends.:cool:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Either that or he has a heafty income and would rather pay someone to do it for him and let them do the cussing while he is out with one of his ladyfriends.:cool:
I'm there!:)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
WRONG!

Youre right, others do have the "lifetime program", LIKE ME, so I dont need to "think about it" and how exactly am I wrong. :cool: What good is a lifetime warranty if they cant even do the alignment correctly the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time!!!???? I didnt feel the need to go in to detail but I will now since you think Im "wrong".

When Firestone installed my Bilsteins they also did the "lifetime" front end alignment, Ill be happy to scan the Firestone receipt if you need proof. :rolleyes:

1. Originally got it back it pulled really hard to the right and my steering wheel was off center.

2. Took it back again. They fixed the pulling but my steering wheel was still off center and NOW I had a bad noise coming from my tires when slowing down around 20mph-15mph.

3. Took it back for the 3rd time, said they would fix my steering wheel and said its perfectly normal sometimes for the steering wheel to be off center, and told me that the noise I was hearing was due to faulty rotors. Funny I said because Toyota just replaced my 2 front rotors / pads & the right front caliper barely 2 weeks ago. Then the guy switches to, OHH its probably because youre running 20" tires and they probably have some wear on them. Funny again I said because I just bought them in Feb. '10 and they have less than 2K miles on them and besides they never mad that noise before yall did the alignment!??

I think they wanted to sell me rotors and tires without even needing them because NOBODY even test drove it to hear the noise I was explaning so he was basically just pulling suggenstions out of his azz until I said yeah that must be it, go ahead and replace part x,y,z!!!!

They fixed my steering wheel but when I took left to test drive it, it went back crooked to the same spot and the tire noise was still there. I called the manager for what wouldve been a 4th time coming back to have them fix my alignment, I complained and he said bring it back and apologized. I told him I cant waste another day dropping it off so he gave me a refund and that was that!

I took it to Toyota that same day, I had a $25 dollar off coupon, so my front / rear alignment was $75. Got it back, didnt pull at all, it tracked straight as an arrow, steering wheel was perfectly straight and guess what, the noise in my front tires were gone! Oh and I'll be happy to scan that receipt as well. :rolleyes:

So again, If it were me, Id take it to Toyota and have them do the alignment.......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts