Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post here, but I've gotten a lot of good info from this site up until now.

I recently joined the large group of people that have had their 2001 Tundra transmissions crap out just beyond warranty. After almost a week of estimates, dealer visits, and an hour on the phone with the Toyota warranty department it's come down to two choices:

1) Have a local (and highly recommended) shop rebuild my tranny.

or

2) The local Toyota dealer will put a "new" (I'm not sure what Toyota's definition of new is...) transmission in.

After going through the hoops with the Toyota warranty dept, they'll give me a 25% discount on parts only. So the "new" transmission will be ~$500 more than the rebuild. The shop says rebuilding is the better choice, since the aftermarket upgrades will prevent any future problems... but then again, they also want my business.

So, cost aside, what is the better option: have the local shop rebuild my current transmission or a "new" transmission from Toyota?

Also, I should add that the problem looks like the OD planetary gear. When the dealer pulled the fluid pan out, there was a ton of metal in there.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
The dealer provides a refurbed/reconditioned tranny. That's their meaning of new.

The cost and time to rebuild one yourself would be a lot more than if you were to get one from John at IPT Performance Transmissions. Plus John's would have stronger and better internal parts than a "new" one from the dealer. If you have another shop do it, I'd suggest comparing prices with your local shop and John's

Trust me, I priced this out myself. The planetary gear unit itself was $600 from the dealer.

Here's a pic of my OD Planetary gear when I tore my tranny apart:

Additionl pics here: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/553

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The local shop is highly recommended by some friends and they gave me competitive quote for a rebuild, so I think I'll go with them. No sense in putting in another '60k mile' transmission from Toyota.

...unless anyone else has any input...?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Send the transmission to IPT for sure. :tu:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Speaking About Transmissions, Does Anybody Know Or Have Heard If The 5 Speed Tranny Will Fit The Tundra's With The Original 4 Speed.would Like To Upgrade If My 4 Speed Ever Goes Out.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
most people think that a "new" engine will be completely new. but it's not, they are just rebuilt tranny's from toyota with "toyota specs". so chances are, it might fail again. a rebuild from a good tranny shop would know what kinds of problems that tranny had and will have aftermarket support to fix the problem. thats what i have heard from a transmission guy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Speaking About Transmissions, Does Anybody Know Or Have Heard If The 5 Speed Tranny Will Fit The Tundra's With The Original 4 Speed.would Like To Upgrade If My 4 Speed Ever Goes Out.
I too may be in the need a new tranny dept.
Will the 5 speed fit?
4.7 is same block, new and old yes?
any one have the #'s for $$ and parts?
I do know how to google but if someone has done the work before.... thats what these expensive come-poot-er things are for right, not doing the same thing twice:D.
I'll start on the "Search" in here after this thread soaks for a few hours.

:ts:
Repo

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
I would check to see if the bell housing on the 4-speed is the same as the 5 speed. Maybe by part number. I'll dig up some documents that should have the part number for the 4 speed. In the meantime, if someone can get the part number for the 5-speed, that will help us out. Another resouces would be to contact John at IPT trans, maybe he has some info on whether the 5-speed is compatible.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The thing I'd be concerned with on going from the 4 speed to the 5 speed isn't whether it'll bolt up or not, because I'm pretty sure it will with it being behind the same engine, but whether you can get it to work because of the electronics.

Does the ECM control the transmission too, or is there a seperate transmission computer?

Assuming the ECM controls the transmission, you could just swap the ECM over, but didn't the 5 speeds come out at the same time as the VVTi?

Just seems like it'd be a lot more work other than just swapping the transmission itself. :( Otherwise I'd be all for it myself. :tu:

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
The thing I'd be concerned with on going from the 4 speed to the 5 speed isn't whether it'll bolt up or not, because I'm pretty sure it will with it being behind the same engine, but whether you can get it to work because of the electronics.

Does the ECM control the transmission too, or is there a seperate transmission computer?

Assuming the ECM controls the transmission, you could just swap the ECM over, but didn't the 5 speeds come out at the same time as the VVTi?

Just seems like it'd be a lot more work other than just swapping the transmission itself. :( Otherwise I'd be all for it myself. :tu:
Or just go with a 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Or just go with a 5 speed manual.
But even there, the ECM would be expecting responses from the transmission and when it didn't get them, it'd throw a bunch of codes and whatnot. So, unless a foreign model came with a manual behind the v8, I don't see how you could do it without a lot of rewiring and aftermarket ECM.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
But even there, the ECM would be expecting responses from the transmission and when it didn't get them, it'd throw a bunch of codes and whatnot. So, unless a foreign model came with a manual behind the v8, I don't see how you could do it without a lot of rewiring and aftermarket ECM.
Good point.

With all the time and hassle of getting a 5 speed auto mated to the 00-03 tundras V8's and compatible, I think I would rather have IPT Trans build me one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good point.

With all the time and hassle of getting a 5 speed auto mated to the 00-03 tundras V8's and compatible, I think I would rather have IPT Trans build me one.
Yup, sucks too. I'd love to have the 5 speed auto in mine. But alas, it's more than likely not worth it.

I do have a question though ...

Is it all the autos behind the v8s in the first few years that had problems? Or is it a 2wd/4wd thing? And then is the 2wd/4wd different transmissions, or are they the same except the 4wd has the transfer case bolted to the end and the 2wd has a tail on it? :ts: Been curious about that since all that I've seen is either "mine blew up" without reference to 2wd/4wd or it's been a 4wd transmission. Haven't noticed 2wds specifically.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Is it all the autos behind the v8s in the first few years that had problems? Or is it a 2wd/4wd thing? And then is the 2wd/4wd different transmissions, or are they the same except the 4wd has the transfer case bolted to the end and the 2wd has a tail on it? :ts: Been curious about that since all that I've seen is either "mine blew up" without reference to 2wd/4wd or it's been a 4wd transmission. Haven't noticed 2wds specifically.
00-03 4WD have the A340F. 00-03 2WD have the A340E. 04-06 autos have the A750F. 04-06 Manuals have the A750E.

The 00-03 autos had the bulk of the issues

***edited post to show correct model. Thanks duffyatkinson for catching my mistake!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the club my tranny just went recently you'll never guess what was wrong the ....... planetary gear so you would think i would have had a lot of miles on it yet i only had 59,000 miles on my 01 tundra. So a phone call to the toyota consumer hotline followed and after a call back from them toyota then told me too bad they didn't now of any issues with the planetary gear and since it was an 01 they couldn't cover anything. At least they offered you something. The dealer in town told me it would be $4,000 to replace so i had a shop here in town do it. Anyway it's running great now i've had it back for about five days. The bill was a bit of a drag @ $2,900.:eek: I'm sure i could have gotten it done cheaper but some friends recommended them highly and they are known to back up the work they do. best of luck :) p.s. i had a previous post on this prior and appreciate all the response from everyone the support on this site has been great!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the club my tranny just went recently you'll never guess what was wrong the ....... planetary gear so you would think i would have had a lot of miles on it yet i only had 59,000 miles on my 01 tundra. So a phone call to the toyota consumer hotline followed and after a call back from them toyota then told me too bad they didn't now of any issues with the planetary gear and since it was an 01 they couldn't cover anything. At least they offered you something. The dealer in town told me it would be $4,000 to replace so i had a shop here in town do it. Anyway it's running great now i've had it back for about five days. The bill was a bit of a drag @ $2,900.:eek: I'm sure i could have gotten it done cheaper but some friends recommended them highly and they are known to back up the work they do. best of luck :) p.s. i had a previous post on this prior and appreciate all the response from everyone the support on this site has been great!!! oh and by the way mine mine has the six cylinder and is 2wd in response to an earlier note in your thread.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As a few of you have noted and the ONE smart guy I know said,
changing the tranny would be very easy, lots o $$ however.
for the cost and parts a nickle or two more and one could have the better power plant too.
Seems like a quality rebuild over the same ol junk for toyota, is the ticket...

Repo

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,533 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts