Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Tundra has 176K miles; I got it used. She runs like new.
I have changed most of the filters and fluids, with the exception of the antifreeze.
So, do I spend $$ at the dealership or go to Wally World and spend $9 per gallon?
I searched some posts; I guess I am after current advice.
Thanks in advance. I love my truck.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
personally, i would get the toyota stuff. i believe it's 18 bucks a gallon, then you have to dilute it, so it makes 2 gallons. should be the factory red.

·
Registered
657 Posts
***********************************************************************************

I love my truck too. It's 2003 V8.

I decided to follow Toyota's recommendation and put the pre-mix in. The parts people should be able to tell you which color coolant to use.

My 2 cents.

George60

*********************************************************************************

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
01 should be the red coolant where you had to mix it. the super long life, pink, was introduced in '03 and not all models had them. '04 was standard, all the the pink stuff, which is pre diluted and is the same price.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Piercy Toyota in San Jose, CA wants $27.99 for a gallon.
Is 1 gallon (or 2 gallons 50/50 mix) enough?

Thanks to all who posted advice...

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
You said it yourself...you love your truck. Buck up and pay $40-$50 bucks extra and get Toyota. That spread out over 5 year duration, well worth it. You love your truck, don't cheat it. Do it right.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

I just did this last night. If you drain all 3 points (bottom of radiator, left side of block, right side of block) then you will need more than 1 gallon of the red, get 2. If you just drain the radiator, then 1 is enough.

Dealer had the red stuff at half off recently, saved me a bundle, I got 5 gallons.
/Mike

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

WOW really :eek: , 30 bucks for a gallon?

if you drain just the radiator, 1 will be enough. expect at least 2 gallons if you drain the block.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Water pumps are made from special metals and using something other than Toyota RED will cause a chemical breakdown of the water pump components! Use what you OWNERS manual says to use!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Just take it to the dealer and let them flush it. I did it myself for years, but you can never even get half of the old coolant out and then it is only half changed and not even flushed. Also you have to dispose of it, so it comes out better just to let the dealer do it.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Water pumps are made from special metals and using something other than Toyota RED will cause a chemical breakdown of the water pump components! Use what you OWNERS manual says to use!
yep! my integra uses green coolant and i had my buddy bring my some from work to top off and after about 1 year of topping it off, my water pump started to leak. it will overheat on the highway and you can visually see coolant seeping out from the timing cover. i thought i was saving money by using red coolant when my car calls for green. in the long run, i ended up spending more money. but it needed to be done anyways. :D 250K on OEM stuff isn't bad!

Just take it to the dealer and let them flush it. I did it myself for years, but you can never even get half of the old coolant out and then it is only half changed and not even flushed. Also you have to dispose of it, so it comes out better just to let the dealer do it.!
some dealers don't have the flush machine or the mechanics don't know how to use them. i asked my dealership once and they told me they just drain the radiator and block and refill. my buddy says at his dealership, only the shop foreman knows how to use it.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
While I agree that some dealers might not have the machine to flush the antifreeze, if they don't then it is time to find another dealer that works in the 21st century. This is not rocket science, but regular maintenance on par with an oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts