Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Limited TRD 4x4 Tundra with 84 k miles on it. I have never replaced the timing belt. Today I called around to different dealerships getting prices on the belt, water pump, thermostat, and spark plugs. The average prices were $50 for the belt, $130 for the water pump, $16 for the thermostat, and $24 for a set of spark plugs.

Labor costs for the dealerships ranged from $293 to $500. I am waiting on a labor quote from a local Mechanic shop.

Do these prices sound fair and has anyone heard of a timing belt breaking on a Tundra? I've heard that it would be an expensive fix if it was to break.

Is there anything else that I need to do to it from a preventive maintenance standpoint?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would LOVE to get a $293 labor quote from the dealer.

I have 85K too, I will be doing mine around 100K. People here recomment also to change the belt tensioner.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
the part prices sound about right to me, labor sounds good (especially that 293, sure they didn't think it was the v6?). I got a labor quote from a dealer for $550. I'm still on the fence as to whether I should try it myself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a labor quote from a local auto shop that does alot of toyota work. To change the spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, serp belt, and radiator hoses the total labor cost is $250 dollars. I'm going to let him do it.

I'm going to buy all the parts from a toyota dealership.

I done a search on this topic and saw a parts list for the job. How important is it to replace the timing belt tensioners, considering I only have 84K miles? The mechanic said he didn't think they would be hurt. I could see where they might need replaceing next time though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dad and I replaced my timing belt and water pump @ 100k. Wasn't too difficult. Removing the crank pulley was the most difficult. I ended up replacing all the idler and tensioner pulleys 'cuz the bearings seemed to be a little dry for my taste. I would recommend having a set of pulleys on hand, just in case, they can always be returned. If you need to replace the accessory belt tensioner pulley, be careful. It is a LEFT HAND THREAD! I found out the hard way.
We used a haynes manual for instruction. Everything went smooth. Skip the step about removing the grill. Not necessary. Do it yourself, save some $'s, and learn a little more about your truck.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had my timing belt replaced at the dealer a week ago, and had them put in a new serpintine belt also. Came to $460 for the two belts and labor. There's no reason that your water pump won't last 300,000+ miles, and I would recommend not listening to those paraniod folks out there telling you to replace it. It's nonsense.

Replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets today myself. Always thought I had a cracked manifold, but turns out it was just one of the gaskets. No more diesel sounding Tundra! :D

I replaced the plugs today also. They're the easiest plugs I've ever replaced, mainly because there's no distributor and the plugs have individual wires that you DON'T NEED TO KEEP TRACK OF, so you just pull them off, R & R all the plugs, and reinstall the wires. Cost me $11. Just make sure you have a magnet extension to remove the plugs from their holes once you unscrew them. That, or a plug socket that actually has the rubber ring at the base which holds the plugs.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think replacing the tensioners is overkill at 84K. Every other belt change is a good rule of thumb. As for the water pump...the extra labor is nominal with the front end opened up like that. I wouldn't pay anyone to do my spark plugs. If you can walk and chew gum, you can do the plugs.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Should I have the radiator hoses replaced or wait until the next belt change?
My personal experience is that hoses crack internally with time (outwardly they always look fine) it happened to my old jeep, one day I had a leak got stranded, it had 6 years 26k at the time, when I decide to do my belt the old hoses are gone.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had my timing belt replaced at the dealer a week ago, and had them put in a new serpintine belt also. Came to $460 for the two belts and labor. There's no reason that your water pump won't last 300,000+ miles, and I would recommend not listening to those paraniod folks out there telling you to replace it. It's nonsense.

Replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets today myself. Always thought I had a cracked manifold, but turns out it was just one of the gaskets. No more diesel sounding Tundra! :D

I replaced the plugs today also. They're the easiest plugs I've ever replaced, mainly because there's no distributor and the plugs have individual wires that you DON'T NEED TO KEEP TRACK OF, so you just pull them off, R & R all the plugs, and reinstall the wires. Cost me $11. Just make sure you have a magnet extension to remove the plugs from their holes once you unscrew them. That, or a plug socket that actually has the rubber ring at the base which holds the plugs.
It is also a good idea to tape the extension to the socket or you will loose it in the hole when you try to remove it after you have installed the new plug

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I think I'd err on the safe side with the tensioners. I've never seen a story about a timing belt failing, but there was a post on this board where someone thought their timing belt failed, but it was really the tensioner. I think they had to get a new engine because of the damage that was caused.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got around to having the timing belt, water pump, serp. belt, radiator hoses, and sparkplugs replaced. Got it all done for $250 labor, and I bought all the parts from a toyota dealership.

Although I had almost 85 K miles on the truck, the timing belt looked almost as good as the new one. All tensioners were in perfect condition. The old water pump had a very small leak that I hadn't noticed, so I'm glad that I replaced it. The serpt. belt needed replacing for sure. My old radiator hoses would have lasted many more years and my spark plugs also looked to be in good shape.

I know it makes good sense to get our timing belts replaced around 100 K miles or less because of the interference engines, but there is little doubt in my mind that this belt and tensioners would have lasted me well over 150 k miles.

My transmission has never been serviced, and has always shifted quiet and smooth, so I am reluctant to have anything done to it.

I will probably have the shocks and springs replaced with the same Bilstein shocks that are on it.

This truck has given me plenty of problems over the past six years, but since i have it paid for, I hope to get another five or six years out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Looks like you're good to go on your major service. Just had mine done approximately six months ago. Your transmission is the only item left to be addressed. I serviced my own right after the major service using a technique found in this forum. Do a search for transmission flush where the complete fluid capacity can be changed out very simply. I replaced mine with Mobil 1 synthetic and it made a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have been told by many that the water pump and tensioner would be OK changing at every other timing belt change (every 180K). I was told it was really not necessary for the first change.

I still have not changed my original timing belt and I have 104K now. I want to make sure my tranny is OK before I shell out $$$ for the timing belt.

I was quoted around $500. from each of our three local Toyota dealers. One of my good friends father is a Toyota tech and he said he would do it at his home for about $300. I wonder though.... like about warranty, etc.

I may just sell my truck... between the gas guzzling, worrisome tranny and now the timing belt due... I may be better off getting a smaller older Toyota car. I have no need for a truck now anyway. My mother wants my truck, but I would like it to be in good working order before I turned it over to her.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My transmission shifts fine and smooth. I have 85 k miles on the truck and I have never serviced the transmission. I never do any pulling to put wear and tear on it, so I wasn't concerned about having it serviced. How widespread is the transmission problem?

As i mentioned before, had I known my timing belt was in near perfect condition I would have waited another 30 to 40 K miles beforer changing it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For some of you want to do it yourself. Make sure you get the timing right on the spot otherwise you will destroy the whole engine.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have heard of many problems on the 2000-02 models. 03's seem to be better. Mostly, it seems like something in the planetary? or something like that goes out in them and it mostly effects the O/D. Some people reported problems at miles as low as 30K, but sometimes it does not occur until after 100K (if even then). :eek: I was told that if you make it to 130K+ miles, then you will likely be OK.

My O/D is fine and all shifting it fine, except that the 2nd to 3rd shift, shifts with a "kick" under anything but light acceleration. Sometimes it will "flare" before it shifts into 3rd. Toyota dealer said all is fine and no cause for concern, but I wonder. The PO had the original fluid changed at 69K and now it has 104K. The Toyota tech said the fluid still looked and smelled like new and he would not recommend changing it right now. I may take it to a tranny shop to get another opinion.

Sounds like your tranny is doing perfectly well.

My transmission shifts fine and smooth. I have 85 k miles on the truck and I have never serviced the transmission. I never do any pulling to put wear and tear on it, so I wasn't concerned about having it serviced. How widespread is the transmission problem?

As i mentioned before, had I known my timing belt was in near perfect condition I would have waited another 30 to 40 K miles beforer changing it.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
My dad and I replaced my timing belt and water pump @ 100k. Wasn't too difficult. Removing the crank pulley was the most difficult. I ended up replacing all the idler and tensioner pulleys 'cuz the bearings seemed to be a little dry for my taste. I would recommend having a set of pulleys on hand, just in case, they can always be returned. If you need to replace the accessory belt tensioner pulley, be careful. It is a LEFT HAND THREAD! I found out the hard way.
We used a haynes manual for instruction. Everything went smooth. Skip the step about removing the grill. Not necessary. Do it yourself, save some $'s, and learn a little more about your truck.
may i ask how long it took you and your dad to complete the job?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2001 V8 with 88K miles so I'm starting to get quotes on the timing belt/water pump replacement. Not skilled enough to do it myself :eek:

Anyone in the Austin, TX area have any recommendations on reliable places to get this done?

Looking at ~$1,100 at the Toyota dealership :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts