Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Seq speakers are shot. Before I start, let me say that i have not taken off the door panel to actually see what is installed. I have the JBL set-up. I know there are seperates up front but has anyone installed door speakers with the original wiring and left the factory tweeters in using the original wiring? The door speakers have a small circular hole beside the woofer, is that for a tweeter as well or is that like a bass port? One last question is ...speaker recommandations...what do you have / suggest? Music prefence is more rock/pop orientated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is probably shot is only the foam surround for the cone. This is an easy repair assuming the speakers are worth repairing. Here is link. I re-edged a vintage set of AR's and a powered subwoofer and they sounded like new. $15 to save $900. If cheap OEM's they are probably not worth repairing but speakers rarely have anything to wear out but the rubber or foam edge that suspends the cone. The foam edges rot quickly. The butyl or neoprene ones last a long time. Something to keep in mind for those who have upgraded speakers. "Blown" speakers are not throw-aways.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would suggest replacing both the woofer and tweeter with aftermarket. Infinity Reference 6020 is a great set and won't blow your budget. Instillation is a simple replacement, just run the speaker wire from your HU to the crossover, crossover to speakers. Well worth it, especially if you listen to any kind of rock. You will actually hear the symbols.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ski6,
infinity reference sounds looks good,,
im a little confused about "just run the speaker wire from your HU to the crossover, crossover to speakers."

is that explained in the manual? did you use a wire harness adapter?...which one?

thanks
trent

·
Registered
83 Posts
In the stock system, the speaker wire from the head unit runs to the woofer, then from the woofer to the tweeter. When you buy aftermarker seperates, you get a woofer, tweeter, and a crossover. When installing this, you run the speaker wire from the headunit to the crossover. Then from the crossover you connect the woofer and the tweeter. Yes it is explained in the manual.
As far as the wire adapter goes, I reused the factory bracket(I have a DIY somewhere on here) so I reused the original connector as well. Soldered the new speaker to the bracket connector.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Behind the kick panel. Some chose to put in the doors, but they were also worried about the water that runs through the doors. No water getting to it at the kick panel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts