Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the great content here, poking around and can't find a thread on an issue that's driving me nuts: the throttle will go unresponsive while driving and I have to pull over, shut the truck off for a few minutes, then the throttle works again once the truck is started. Used to be just an occaisional problem, now it's developed into a consistent issue. I saw a reference to opening the worm drive gear box and cleaning the gear and replacing the lube somewhere, but don't know if that would solve my problem or is even recommended. I've checked all the wiring connections but none seem to be loose or corroded. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually just found the thread....had to do a little more digging. I'll check out the wiring harness to the throttle body now. I'll check back in and let you all know if it worked....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I was able to replicate the issue exactly by disconnecting the harness at the front of the throttle motor....the engine idle increased to around 1500 rpm. VSC and Traction lights on and no throttle response until the backup system with the pedal almost to the floor. Even when I reconnected the harness it didn't revert back, I had to turn the truck off and back on before I got any throttle response back. I read that guys replaced the wiring harness to fix the issue, is it just the plug at the end of the harness. or was it the whole connection? I can't imagine replacing the entire engine wiring harness just to fix this issue, or is that what is needed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all the great content here, poking around and can't find a thread on an issue that's driving me nuts: the throttle will go unresponsive while driving and I have to pull over, shut the truck off for a few minutes, then the throttle works again once the truck is started. Used to be just an occaisional problem, now it's developed into a consistent issue. I saw a reference to opening the worm drive gear box and cleaning the gear and replacing the lube somewhere, but don't know if that would solve my problem or is even recommended. I've checked all the wiring connections but none seem to be loose or corroded. Any ideas?
You need to clean the throttle body and the Mass Airflow Sensor. Search it on Utube. Also, it is very possible that the little throttle advancing motor located on the throttle body may have gone bad and may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went through this with a 2000 tundra. I can't recall all of it, but there are two things on the throttle body that it can be, and it's hard to tell which. I finally bought a used throttle body off ebay for $150, bolted it on easily enough, and solved the problem

·
Registered
257 Posts
There was a recent post on that TBS replacement. Big bucks from Toyota and the guy got one off of Amazon that worked fine. Do a search on here or You Tube I don't have time to run it down this morning...Chap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TPS has been replaced. I clean the throttle body religiously and we pretty much only run ethanol free gas. Only codes are 0420, 0430, and P1121.

I'm wondering about the throttle motor tbh. Can't find one at a local pick n pull to test my theory.

I'll look for that post, Chap. Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more thing....the last few days it'll drive fine, then the VSC lights come on and I only have about 50% throttle response. It hasn't dropped out completely since.....

·
Registered
Many Lexus and Toyotas
868 Posts
TPS has been replaced. I clean the throttle body religiously and we pretty much only run ethanol free gas. Only codes are 0420, 0430, and P1121.

I'm wondering about the throttle motor tbh. Can't find one at a local pick n pull to test my theory.

I'll look for that post, Chap. Cheers!
The code is for your Pedal Position sensor. You likely just need to replace it. They get worn our in the throttle ranges you normally drive in. Your P0420 and P0430 could just be exhaust leaks but at your mileage I would just go ahead and jump to replacing both upstream A/F O2 sensors also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question, then. Where is the pedal position sensor? 01-03 have a cable back up so it's not technically drive by wire like the 04 and newer are where the sensor is built into the pedal. Mine still has a spring and cable connected to the pedal. Is the sensor up higher behind the dash?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or is it mounted on passenger's side of the throttle body with the cable connected to it? The TPS was replace within the last year....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts