Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody knows how o get more power from a 2002 automatic RAV4? I saw an unanswered question about turbo... does anyone tried that already?
I was thinking on reprogramg the automatic transmission, at least.
I leave in Brazil, but can buy anything in the USA.

tks

Marco:tu:

·
Registered
31 Posts
When we first got our '03, I experienced a slight hesitation and expected more overall power. I eventually made two simple and inexpensive changes that made a big difference: 1) the air intake is restrictive, so I fabricated a larger intake that brings in cooler air by design. It attaches to the 'corrugated rubber' of the stock intake. To further reduce restriction, I installed a K&N air filter. 2) I started using 89 octance fuel, instead of 87 octane regular fuel. What a difference the above two items made! Better low-end torque, quicker off the line w/o any hesitation, and better mid and top-end--an across the RPM band improvement. I no longer feel that our RAV lacks for power. I must mention that ours is a 2WD 5-spd manual model. MPG measures in the range of 26 city and 31 highway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anybody knows how o get more power from a 2002 automatic RAV4? I saw an unanswered question about turbo... does anyone tried that already?
I was thinking on reprogramg the automatic transmission, at least.
I leave in Brazil, but can buy anything in the USA.

tks

Marco:tu:

I respectfully suggest you are looking at this all wrong. If you need more power, you should be looking at a 4runner. If you need more sports car handling, you should be looking at a sports car. With a Rav, its not like you are trying to take an already great off-roader or great driving car and maximize the performance. You are trying to take a "compromise" car and make it something its not.

The Rav is great at what is does- move people in all weather conditions. To make an AWD SUV that still delivers decent MPG's, they had to make some compromises. The primary one being a relatively small engine for the size. You aren't going to fix that simply, and my opinion is that you are better off purchasing a vehicle that better suits your needs and desires.

Reprogramingg the tranny won't give you more power, it will only lock the gears into a lower gear for longer. A turbo charger will just put more pressure on the engine. In the end, you could spend 1000's doing things that may or may not give you the performance you want and may or may not affect the reliability of the car. When all is said and done, you are better off stepping up to a vehicle that will give you what you want.

Just my 2 cents, and probably not what you wanted to hear. But, I've found that appreciating a car for what it is has a lot of virtue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts