Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia LTD.
When I lose traction, there is a grinding noise coming from the front left of the vehicle. Engaging the 4X4 does not make a difference. I rarely need 4 wheel drive, but I have noticed on a few occassions on slippery or muddly slopes.
I'm not sure what could be causing this, but I'm worried the vehicle will get stuck in snow should the 4X4 not be functioning correctly
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Might need some more detail? Are you getting the grinding sound, and also getting the VSC lights on the dash? If so, this may just be the VSC applying the ABS to the wheel that is slipping. If this is not the case, it sounds like you have something else going on with how the 4WD is engaging or not engaging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The VSC lights are not coming on the dash. If the ABS is being applied to a wheel that is slipping, why would I consistently hear the noise from the left front.... even if it's a rear wheel spinning?
Ryan

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm not there to hear your problem first hand, so I'm trying to understand what you are saying. Usually the grinding noise people hear the first time is the VSC alarm going off. If you are hearing a constant noise from the left front, I would first check the brakes and bearings to make sure everything is okay.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sounds like the pump that activated the brakes. If it is you will see one of the lights on the dash flickering (the TRAC I think? can't remember), if this flickers or comes on at the same time you hear the noise it is the pump(s) which is basically doing the opposite of ABS. It is quickly activating the brake on the wheel that is slipping to get it to slow down so that torque gets applied to the opposite wheel which is turning too slowly for the VSC's overall calculated wheel speed that should be occuring. You hear the noise from the front because the ABS pumps for all 4 wheels are all mounted in the front of the vehicle. If you end up wheeling the truck much you'll get used to it, nothing to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts