Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...
I have just spent several hours reading on the forum trying to find some help with my brakes. Sorry If this has been answered some where, if you can point me there that would be great. If not perhaps you have some insight.

The Car: 2002 Sequoia with 96,000 miles/ 2WD

6 months ago I replaced the front rotors and brake pads all around. (the rear brake shoes were fine) Things were good for 3 months or so. A shudder or shimmy started to appear when applying the brakes and has grown steadily worse. There is no shimmy when applying the parking brake making me think its not the brake shoes.

It did not appear that the shudder was in the front because the steering wheel never moves when applying the brakes. I can feel it in the seat. I purchased new Rotors for the rear and replaced them. The pads are good as well as the shoes. (interesting design) The Shudder is still there.

Is there something I missed? A way to reset the anti lock braking system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just wondering what caliper casting you have? Do you know if this is the pre-tsb model caliper?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The 2002 model had an option for both depending on when it was made. if you look on the engine side...(just look under the front bumper towards your caliper with a flashlight) and you will see a casting number: 13WE (old) 13WL (New). The 13WL is what is used on the 03-up model year and the 05-06 Tundra. There is a write up on this from the 1st gen tundra forum that I'll try to attach for your reference. If you don't have the bigger caliper, I would recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
no wonder I couldn't find the casting number...was looking on the outside. :p from the looks though, I might have the newer calipers...I don't see the "wing" shown in the PDF.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My guess is the Chinese rotors installed have warped again. If you have your receipt for them, take them back for warranty replacements.

-Bryan

·
Registered
16 Posts
You probably overpaid for those Brembro. I just put on all four corners drilled slotted and zinced with ceramic pads. entire kit from Brake Motiv on EBay for 275 bucks free shipping have about ten k miles on them and they stop better and smoother than any brakes ive ever used. I also have an 02 that had a really really bad shimmy shudder. the new ones fixed all the problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I got a great price on the Brembos as a friend is a dealer. Half the price of the OEMS.

So what you are saying is that I need to totally redo all 4 systems in order to correct this?

Serious?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought Brembo's are supposed to be a quality rotor. I don't think you need to replace them.

Have you pulled the wheels and inspected everything? Sorry, not really sure what could be causing the problem....I would look at the rear calipers....maybe something is loose?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Brembo is a good rotor from what I've heard. They were recommended in the brake threads, so I don't know that I would worry about them. I did hear from my local toyota mechanic that Brembo uses a softer metal, and that they wear quicker than stock? I don't know if this is true, but it would be nice to get some feedback from those who have been running them. After re-reading your initial post, I wonder if you have a bad tire or shock or something like that? It doesn't really sound like a typical brake problem such as warped rotors...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts