Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking for help, I like both: save money and learn how to fix stuff.
I had operation problems with the ignition lock cylinder, 90% of times gets stuck just after releasing the steering wheel lock, so will not allow to get to the "on" position.
went to napa, got an aftermarket replacement, it was actually easy to just remove and replace, 'til I put everything back together and the engine now cranks up but it will not start, I thought it is a security problem so I did installed the faulty lock cylinder back, but still have the same problem, engine will not start...
does anyone knows what its going on?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would start by making sure that the ring that sits over the lock cylinder is plugged in. It's part of the immobilizer system.

·
Registered
289 Posts
if its like my 04 you may have to have the immobilizing unit reset/reflashed. If the unit loses communication it can fault out by default because it thinks its beening stolen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you ever figure out your problem? I'm looking to replace my ignition lock cylinder with a new one and am afraid that the immobilizer system is going to be an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you ever figure out your problem? I'm looking to replace my ignition lock cylinder with a new one and am afraid that the immobilizer system is going to be an issue.
Bump! I've bought a new ignition lock cylinder and haven't installed it because I know my Sequoia won't start with the new key. My current key keeps getting stuck in the ignition and I need to swap it for the new one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
check your keys, if they're chipped they may not be communicating with the computer somehow.

I had a walmart key die on my 04', everything worked fine but the engine wouldn't crank. Apparently the immobilizer shuts the fuel pump down or something of the sorts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not worried about the installation of the key cylinder. That's not a problem. I am worried about swapping them and then the Sequoia not being able to start because the new key isn't recognized.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Being that the NEW key needs to be registered in the ECM I would say that your concern is valid. If you have a master key for the current ignition switch you may be able to work out programming the new keys otherwise the dealer would have to do it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, our Sequoias can only have 4 keys per programming session. If you want to make another key, you have to go to the dealer (or call a locksmith) and have the computer reset to accept another round of 4 (max) keys. We have our valet key, an ancient original key that is loose, and a chewed up (dog) master that is in poor condition. I hope that I don't lose another key or have one of these fail as I don't want to pay $$$ at the dealer for the reset.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, our Sequoias can only have 4 keys per programming session. If you want to make another key, you have to go to the dealer (or call a locksmith) and have the computer reset to accept another round of 4 (max) keys. We have our valet key, an ancient original key that is loose, and a chewed up (dog) master that is in poor condition. I hope that I don't lose another key or have one of these fail as I don't want to pay $$$ at the dealer for the reset.
Go find a reputable locksmith that does car reprograms. They are usually about $150 not $450.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts