Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 2002 Tacoma last weekend. I wanted to give it a good tuneup to baseline the maintenance.

The automatic transmission has a drain plug on it and I was wondering if I drained it, is there a way to refill it, other than the dipstick? How much fluid should I expect to drain?

It also has a transmission oil cooler. Does the fluid get drained from that as well?

Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
The automatic transmission has a drain plug on it and I was wondering if I drained it, is there a way to refill it, other than the dipstick? How much fluid should I expect to drain?
I had an 04, filling it through the dipstick is pretty easy, just need a skinny funnel. As for fluid you will probably only get about 4 qts, quite a bit will be trapped in the torque convertor (think at least 10 qts). You might be better off and bite the bullet and get a complete flush.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dana. I got 4 quarts and re-filled through the dipstick.

The fluid drained was very clean (cherry red) and smelled fine. I just did as a precaution.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's important to change the filter too, but you will need to remake the gasket with a RTV Silicone from Toyota or Permatex (Right Stuff).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Generally you don't need to change the filter. If the fluid is clean and smells ok, and the vehicle shifts fine, filter should be fine. If fluid smells burnt and/or is dirty, then do a flush. Do not need to replace the filter until shifting becomes a problem. Then you may have a clog. We strictly work on Toyota's and we almost NEVER see a transmission filter that needs to be changed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Generally you don't need to change the filter. If the fluid is clean and smells ok, and the vehicle shifts fine, filter should be fine. If fluid smells burnt and/or is dirty, then do a flush. Do not need to replace the filter until shifting becomes a problem. Then you may have a clog. We strictly work on Toyota's and we almost NEVER see a transmission filter that needs to be changed.

My transmission fluid smell ok, looks clean but I feel the shifts from 1st to 2nd too much, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd but not as hard, does that mean I have to change the filter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't bother trying to change the filter, it's only a screen anyway and will not appear dirty. If you pull the pan, you can clean the magnets, but shouldn't be needed. Just drain the 5 qts of fluid out and replace, if it's dirty do it twice...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did mine awhile ago but disconnecting the return line going back into the tranny to not only flush the tranny but both tranny cooler (factory bottom of radiator and TRD cooler). I did four qrts at a time. Flushed by starting the truck up then shut it off then added four qrts. Repeat process till fluid was clean. I bought a case of redline D4 atf.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a friend who has a 2002 Tacoma and we can't find the darn transmission fluid dipstick anywhere. Are you sure there is one? Or is this one of those sealed trannys with only refill and overflow plugs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts