Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im new here but i have had an ongoing issue with my 2002 toyota sequoias brakes. When i drive it at first the brakes work normally. After i get off the freeway and brake moderately for the first time the car starts to vibrate whenever i try and slow down from any speed over 50mph. I've ran tests where i drive it around and put it under hard braking and after a while i will have my foot all the way to the floor with the brake pedal and it wont engage the ABS at all because its not skidding and it also vibrates. I tow a 5000 to 6000 pound boat often and i cant imagine this would be a good thing when i do that. Now i don't have a ton of cash to buy slotted rotors so does anyone else have any other suggestions?? Btw, the front brake pads are brand new the rears at 75% and the rotors have all been turned once.

Thanks,

Jagnum9

·
Registered
738 Posts
More than likely, you need new rotors. How many miles on the ones you currently have on there? If you tow that often, either save the money and get the slotted rotors, or plan on replacing the rotors periodically.

Personally I think, if you are towing that much, and you are getting more than 50,000 miles or so out of the stock rotors, you really are doing okay.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Now i don't have a ton of cash to buy slotted rotors so does anyone else have any other suggestions?? Btw, the front brake pads are brand new the rears at 75% and the rotors have all been turned once.
If you don't have money to maintain your brakes you shouldn't be driving at all.

Slotted rotors are a waste of money, they don't provide improved braking performance. You can buy new Toyota OEM rotors for about 60 bucks.

You should do the following:

1) If your Sequoia has the original small factory front calipers, upgrade to the larger calipers fitted on newer Sequoias. There's lots of info on this topic here.

2) If you're not upgrading front calipers, check that all four pistons in each front caliper move freely and are not seized. My guess is you have one or more seized pistons. It's the inner pistons that usually seize. Replace caliper(s) if piston(s) are seized.

3) Remove and reinstall front rotors, using a wire wheel on an angle grinder to clean up every mating surface to clean metal. This treatment makes the rotors run true as it removes corrosion from the mating surfaces.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just changed the front calipers and rotors. If you do it all yourself, you should be able to get it done for around $500. Or just change the rotors to something name brand. There's all sorts of different companies that make rotors, and you get what you pay for. I have Hawks slotted rotors and their LTS pads and they're amazing. Even with the smaller caliper i never have any braking problems. But definitely, if possible, put the bigger calipers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new rotors were put on at 160,000 it now has 216,000 on it. They were turned and got new front brake pads at 190,000. I have kept up with ALL of the maintenance on my car since it was brand new. Its not a matter of niglet to the brakes i don't think, and this past summer it barely towed the boat but this summer it will be doing it more often. Thank all of you for the input, i plan on taking it into my mechanic to have them looked at. I will mention the pistons and maybe looking at changing the front calipers to a larger size. I don't think the slotted rotors are completely out of the question either.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I will mention the pistons and maybe looking at changing the front calipers to a larger size. I don't think the slotted rotors are completely out of the question either.
I'm not sure you're getting it so I will repeat. The '01 and '02 Sequoias came from the factory with undersized front calipers that provided marginal braking performance. From the '03 model year on the front calipers were upgraded to a larger size from the factory.

If your '02 Sequoia still has the original front calipers, now 13 years old, it's no surprise you can't stop your vehicle. This is important and you should take it seriously.

Here's a link to a thread where someone upgraded their front brakes themselves following the Toyota TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for the upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts