Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V8 90k miles Using Mobil 5w-30 oil in Texas
Just bought the truck, been very well maintained by original owner.

I just did my first road trip after changing the oil and it used 1 QT oil in driving 1300 miles. Is this "normal" ??????
Am new to Toyota trucks, and know some brands will use a little oil. Have never noticed any smoke coiming from exhaust. Drove it approx 70-75 mph all on highway.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
I also find it very difficult to believe that the 2UZ-FE is consuming oil at all, not to mention at the rate you are describing without any visible combustion byproducts. How sure are you of the consumption? How much oil did it take to fill at your last oil change?

·
Registered
204 Posts
While more consumption than you'd want a quart in 1300 miles for any vehicle certainly doesn't raise any major red flags for me. I'd keep an eye on things,check for leaks and inspect the PCV (if equipped) and see if your consumption is recurring. A quart every 1300 I certainly wouldn't
t expect to see any smoke

You might try a dino oil on your next service as synthetics have a propensity to get out of an engine if there's any way possible

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well local oil change place did the work and I did not check it before I left. What is capacity for this? They also did a filter change, maybe they did not account for that.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Too many variables involved if you didn't check the work done. The only thing you can do now is check where it is on the dipstick and then keep an eye on it to see if you really are consuming oil.

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
Well local oil change place did the work and I did not check it before I left. What is capacity for this? They also did a filter change, maybe they did not account for that.
Manual says 6.5 qts with filter but my former 2000 and later 2004 took 7.0 qts to bring it to the full mark on the stick.

Larry

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same truck and I drove from Tampa Florida to Dallas Florida and back. A total of near 4k miles with all the places I drove in Dallas. I only went through one quart. Best thing to do is to throw yourself under the truck and see if you have any leaks. Most people overlook the o-ring that goes on the oil release bolt on the oil pan. Could be old and you need one. Or the shop didn't fill the filter before putting it on. Start with those simple fixes and let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
80% that its the monkey lube did you a favor. Keep an eye on it. check oil level in the same flat spot under similar engine temperatures. Keep an eye on dipstick. 1QT lost thats a lot - that would mean that within oil change interval of 5K miles you'd loose 3QT's which is half engines oil capacity. Weird.... i vote for not enough oil during oil change, otherwise it a new engine( or new drain plug if you get lucky)

·
Registered
917 Posts
121 K on the motor and 7k on a oil change and I am not down enough to tell. I would bet that they gave you 5 quarts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They screwed you at the oil change place. They put 5 qts in instead of 6.
Check your oil regularly and do your oil change yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts