Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace my front shocks. I noticed they are inside the coil spring. Will I need a coil compressor? At the top there are 3 bolts around the side and 1 in the middle. Which do you loosen? The bolt on the bottom on the shock is pretty basic. I don't want to mess with the spring. Can I do this myself? This truck is a TRD.

Thanks,

Scoob

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
I'd like to replace my front shocks. I noticed they are inside the coil spring. Will I need a coil compressor?
Yes.

At the top there are 3 bolts around the side and 1 in the middle. Which do you loosen?
To dismount the assembly, you will remove the three nuts on top and the bolt on the LCA. Do not remove the single, center nut until the spring is held in a compressed state via a spring compressor as this is under severe torsional stress!

I don't want to mess with the spring. Can I do this myself?
Let someone else with the proper equipment handle it. Buy your new shocks (recommend the Bilstein 5100 series) from Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com and take them to a reputable install shop with a spring compressor to have them installed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes.

To dismount the assembly, you will remove the three nuts on top and the bolt on the LCA. Do not remove the single, center nut until the spring is held in a compressed state via a spring compressor as this is under severe torsional stress!

Let someone else with the proper equipment handle it. Buy your new shocks (recommend the Bilstein 5100 series) from Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com and take them to a reputable install shop with a spring compressor to have them installed.

Exactly what he said^^^

That is the way I did it when I did my Tacoma suspension-- had a buddy drive me down to a shop, took them about an hour to get to them and cost me $50 or so (I did not buy the shocks from them) If you by the shocks from a local shop, you might just be able to bring them your coilover assembly and have them do it for free. Any decent shop will have a nice wall mounted spring compressor that makes the job just a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does replacing the front shocks affect any of the alignment of the front end? In other words, would I need to get a front-end alignment after replacing the shocks on the 2002 4WD Tundra TRD?

Thanks,

Scoob

·
8,534 Posts
Does replacing the front shocks affect any of the alignment of the front end? In other words, would I need to get a front-end alignment after replacing the shocks on the 2002 4WD Tundra TRD?

Thanks,

Scoob
It will if you make any measurable changes to the suspension's resting height, i.e. if you "lift" or "drop" the suspension from its pre-existing, aligned dimensions.

It's always a good idea to have the alignment checked whenever you do any substantive work on suspension components.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Check your local auto store for free loaner tools. Rent them, complete the job and return them.

As far as the alignment part, if you recently had an alignment, check to see if the shop that did has a warranty. Some places will warranty the alignment for 1 year/12K miles. If so, after the replacement take it back and ask to have the aligment checked and adjusted as needed.

·
8,534 Posts
And are these the correct shocks for the 2002 Toyota Tundra TRD?

Bilstein shocks and struts for cars and trucks - Shockwarehouse.com
Those are the Bilstein HDs. If you want to leave your truck at stock ride height, then those are fine. However, if you foresee ever wanting to lift/level the front of your truck (without investing in a dedicated coilover setup), you will need the Bilstein 5100 series -6929s. They can be set anywhere from stock to approx 2.4" of lift.

I'd pay the little extra and get the flexibility of the 5100s. :tu:

My $0.02.

·
2,445 Posts
What do you think of this spring compressor?

Amazon.com: OEM 25550 Strut Spring Compressor: Home Improvement

I could do it I suppose if it's reasonably safe.

Scoob
Does this look safe? Notice how bent the bolt is... it was way sketchy and I put that sleeping bag over the setup when I was compressing. Do not use an impact for this process.

The local (to me) shop wanted $100.00 to compress my springs when they were off the truck. I think he wanted me to pay for his wall mounted compressor. I was thinking maybe $20.00 or $30.00. I live in a small town and he seems to think he can get away with that crap. Needless to say that guy doesn't ever see any of my business, EVER! :focus:

I did it myself with a borrowed set. That was only compressing enough to get middle notch (app. 1.3"), which turned out OK for me.

There are other styles, one is a clam shell style. When I spoke with the local NAPA guy he offered to loan me his... after I was finished :lol:. At least if I want to raise it up I know where to go. That guy sees my business!

Good Luck.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts