Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times a week after coming to a stop the truck does not have any throttle response until the gas hits about 3/4 down. It just stays ildleing and doesnt move. It just does this once on a short trip and then never again on the next stop. About every 4-days it will repeat. Any idea's what to look for? 2002 Tundra 4.7. New TPS just added without change. Does not have any engine codes.

· Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Have you checked out the throttle body itself?

John

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, all clean. Im also running the trd supercharger. All Toyota TRD ECU. Original owner so I know the truck habits. Just started in the last two months. If I put the truck in nuetral and toggle the key off and on its back to normal right away.

· Registered
53 Posts
I am also experiencing this in my 2000 4.7L V8 Tundra. I can Idle, and reverse.. but I get no power from pressing the gas petal. The check engine light comes on and after a few min of messing around with it the check engine light turns off and I can drive like normal. I took it to a repair shop and they said the Throttle position sensor was acting up and wanted 1300$ to replace the throttle body control.

I am thinking of just trying to replace the TPS but I am unsure if that will fix the problem. On a side note, for a while now I have noticed extremely poor fuel economy, around 12 miles a gallon i think. Could these problems be related?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont change the TPS.. Its most likely fine. It ended up to be the pedal position sensor located just on the other side of the TPS.. Passenger side of the throatle body. Three little screws hold it on and non adjustable so you cant mess it up. The part lists for $300 and I got it for $202 right from Toyota. Hope this helps. The TPS is cheap at only $56 or so but mine was just fine.

· Registered
141 Posts
I am also experiencing this in my 2000 4.7L V8 Tundra. I can Idle, and reverse.. but I get no power from pressing the gas petal. The check engine light comes on and after a few min of messing around with it the check engine light turns off and I can drive like normal. I took it to a repair shop and they said the Throttle position sensor was acting up and wanted 1300$ to replace the throttle body control.

I am thinking of just trying to replace the TPS but I am unsure if that will fix the problem. On a side note, for a while now I have noticed extremely poor fuel economy, around 12 miles a gallon i think. Could these problems be related?
Let me get this straight... a $30 part is acting up, and they want you to spend $1300? :bolt:
I know for a fact that I (at some point) need to have my APPS replaced. I will be replacing the TPS at the same time. I have also wondered if one of these faulty sensors could have an impact on fuel economy. When I first bought my truck 5 yrs ago, I was getting over 15mpg... now I'm getting around 12.

· Registered
53 Posts
Let me get this straight... a $30 part is acting up, and they want you to spend $1300? :bolt:
I know for a fact that I (at some point) need to have my APPS replaced. I will be replacing the TPS at the same time. I have also wondered if one of these faulty sensors could have an impact on fuel economy. When I first bought my truck 5 yrs ago, I was getting over 15mpg... now I'm getting around 12.
Yeah.. they wanted to replace the throttle body control. I mean idk what is going on... I am not a super car savvy person but I was like let me check this out. My CE light is off and on and I am worried about being stranded. But for 1300... idk... I just replaced both O2 sensors and I have a timing belt coming up and I am debating on whether or not to sell my truck if it comes to it cuz I cant swing that right now.

· Registered
3 Posts
Several times a week after coming to a stop the truck does not have any throttle response until the gas hits about 3/4 down. It just stays ildleing and doesnt move. It just does this once on a short trip and then never again on the next stop. About every 4-days it will repeat. Any idea's what to look for? 2002 Tundra 4.7. New TPS just added without change. Does not have any engine codes.
I’m also losing throttle every so often on my 2002 tundra supercharged TRD. I can pull the wires off the throttle body and spray contact cleaner on the connectors and solves the problem for a while. Any ideas ?

· Registered
2001 Tundra 4WD Basketcase
192 Posts
This sounds exactly like what happened with my truck a few years back. I would be driving along and all the sudden the truck would just start to slow down like I had let off the throttle. Intermittently it would not accelerate from a stop as well. I eventually traced it back to a bad accelerator position sensor on the throttle body.

The diagnostic I used was when it happened on the highway, to immediately engage cruise control and see if I could accelerate using the speed up switch on the steering wheel. That worked which told me it was the APS input to the throttle body. This only works at speeds above 20mph iirc so it doesnt help from a stop. The other thing you can try is to just vary the pedal position, sometimes that sensor can get a localized dead spot which will throw you off.

Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts