Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Tundra has 140,000 trouble free miles on it.
I have used Mobil 1 since the first oil change.
My dealer keeps telling me I need to replace my timing belt.
I'm of the opinion that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Should I replace the timing belt as he suggests?
If so, are there other components that should be replaced at the same time?

As a side note, pulsating front disc brakes seem to be a common problem on Toyota Tundras. Is there a long term fix for this problem?

Thanks for your advice.

Len in NC

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Replace the belt. You are on borrowed time now and if it breaks, you're screwed. As for the brakes, mine warped rotors about every other oil change. I fixed it with the cross drilled powerstop rotors, and Porterfield r4s pads. It's been over two years with no more brake problems.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You will destroy the engine if the belt breaks while engine is running. You should replace the water pump while the front of the engine is open... Sounds like you are planning to get some life out of the truck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thans for the info guys.
Yes, I plan on getting at least 250,000 miles out of the truck, maybe more.
It's been a great truck. I think it runs as good today as it did when I bought it new.

Len in NC

·
Registered
391 Posts

As a side note, pulsating front disc brakes seem to be a common problem on Toyota Tundras. Is there a long term fix for this problem?

Thanks for your advice.

Len in NC
Yes, as said, you are way overdue. Replace the timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner (they have failed, leading to TB failure and engine damage), both TB idler pulleys, thermostat (since you're right there and it's easy with the front end apart), and serpentine belt.

Check your cam oil seals, they should likely be ok, but if there is any sign of oil, replace them. Check your serpentine belt tensioner as well. If it moves fine and has the right amount of pressure according to the FSM, leave it, if not, replace it.

Then make sure you change it all again at 230K!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Timing belt replacement schedule is every 90k miles. My father in law didn't follow that schedule and his let go at 123k and it cost 2300.00 to fix the motor where the valves introduced themselves to the pistons.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Len,
As said here belt change is 90k so you need to do this soon. This engine is a interference fit and will cost you as much as the trucks worth to fix.
During the change I would change the belt, tensioner,idlers, water pump, upper& lower rad hoses, thermostat, and drain and flush the rad. You will now make that 250k owner mark.
As for the brakes, replace the front pads, rotors, and caliper hardware, flush out the old fluid and replace. Now here is what will make your brakes last, adjust your rear brakes. Better yet jack remove the drums clean, lube contact points with caliper lube or antiseize, then adjust the rears.
And now as Tundras rear auto adjusting brakes suck, set the emer brake while you are waiting at long stop lights or every time you park, and your brakes will not pulsate again.
Hope you love old trucks as you will have one.
Kevin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I had the timing belt replaced today, along with the water pump, drive belts, etc.
The dealer told me it's a free wheeling system, so the worst that would have happened if it failed while driving would be a breakdown. No piston damage.
Not sure if he is right, but it doesn't matter now anyway.
I'm good for another 90k miles.

Thanks for the info guys.

Len in NC

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is it a V6 or a V8? V8 is an interference engine the V6 is not.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I strongly suggest you get it done by a professional. My dad has much experience on engines and we did mine and we were half way done, then quit. It was way too hard. The v6 looks easier to do though... good luck

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Well, I had the timing belt replaced today, along with the water pump, drive belts, etc.
The dealer told me it's a free wheeling system, so the worst that would have happened if it failed while driving would be a breakdown. No piston damage.
Not sure if he is right, but it doesn't matter now anyway.
I'm good for another 90k miles.

Thanks for the info guys.

Len in NC
if yours is the v8 it will damage your engine like the others have stated. I get mine done at 90k reguardless peace of mind it's done right :sleep:. My old Tundra 2000 had that worked perfomed I got the cam seal's done, new water pump and replaced all cam and crank seal's...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 178,000 miles on my 2000 V-8. in preparation to get the belt done along with a 180,000 mile service I checked with 3 different local dealer service centers, they all gave me a different story on what level of service was needed to be done. not one said timing belt as part of the 90 K, when I raised it as an issue they said it is recommended not required. I even had a dealer state the 2000 tundra v-8 had a timing chain and not a belt!!
Their pricing was also all over the place from @ a 1,000 minimum to $1800 for the work.

Further checking of all of my past service records indicates that at the 90K service I got from the dealer they did NOT chanage the belt and it turns out I am still driving on the original belt. I called that dealer to confirm what I suspected and they were surprised to see from their records the belt wasn't done and his only explation was it must have been an oversight.

Needless to say I am not happy and feel like I am driving on egg shells about to break. It is now scheduled for service at an independent shop for the day after Christmas. Fortunatly this is not used as a daily driver and It'll stay parked in the driveway until then.

I honestly think dealers would rather not change a belt in hopes it does break and they get a much larger service deal out of the damage it'll cause when it does break.

I am so thankful for this site for the invaluable source of information and knowledge that is shared.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
I have 178,000 miles on my 2000 V-8. in preparation to get the belt done along with a 180,000 mile service I checked with 3 different local dealer service centers, they all gave me a different story on what level of service was needed to be done. not one said timing belt as part of the 90 K, when I raised it as an issue they said it is recommended not required. I even had a dealer state the 2000 tundra v-8 had a timing chain and not a belt!!
Their pricing was also all over the place from @ a 1,000 minimum to $1800 for the work.

Further checking of all of my past service records indicates that at the 90K service I got from the dealer they did NOT chanage the belt and it turns out I am still driving on the original belt. I called that dealer to confirm what I suspected and they were surprised to see from their records the belt wasn't done and his only explation was it must have been an oversight.

Needless to say I am not happy and feel like I am driving on egg shells about to break. It is now scheduled for service at an independent shop for the day after Christmas. Fortunatly this is not used as a daily driver and It'll stay parked in the driveway until then.

I honestly think dealers would rather not change a belt in hopes it does break and they get a much larger service deal out of the damage it'll cause when it does break.

I am so thankful for this site for the invaluable source of information and knowledge that is shared.
It's a timing Belt lol not a Chain dam stupid service People that have No clue. I would know I got the 2000 brand New Tundra and know my truck rather well and 90 k is the timing guidelines Per Toyota. I will also suggest this when replacing these belt's get your water pump done too because the engine is already taken apart you might as well spend $93 on an oem water pump. If you require Toyota parts at discount rate call Bill at anythingtoyota I used him on my timing belts project on my old 2000 Tundra and he was very helpfull.

Cheers Erik

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2002 might be a little different please advise I am original owner and there are as of today 38000 miles on my truck The manual says 90K service or six years. My truck obviously is not driven too much. I perform regular maintenence like clockwork , it is almost like my Honda cycle (change the oil regularly and it will live forever) under the hood looks like SHOWROOM.
but it has been ten years . Should I or shouldn't I do a pump/ timing belt change. This truck still has original rad hoses and serp belt and they both appear to be in great condition. Any solid advice will be appreciated. I don't mind doing the job but I have always hated anything that was over maintenance . I only wish TOY would have seen fit to place a couple of inspection holes with grommets or something on the truck. I currently own 4 Toyotas , and just sold the first one I ever bought a 1990 Toy 4X4 pickup with 181000 on the odometer and I thought my wife was going to cry when I sold it.
thanks for listening guys

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,517 Posts
Even though the truck only has 38,000 miles on it, how many starts does it have? That's important as well. Most timing belt failures occur right after startup when most of the tension is placed on the belt, so low miles/many short trips is also considered wear.

Note that a visual inspection of the timing belt will not be a constructive evaluation of the longevity of the belt. It has a polycarbonate core that gives it strength, so looking at the outside will tell you very little. Anecdotally, most timing belt failures were followed by a post that said "...but the belt looked brand new!!"

It's one of those "better safe than sorry" kind of things. I will be doing my 2002 TB in a couple of weeks. I only have 64,000 miles on mine.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
my 2002 might be a little different please advise I am original owner and there are as of today 38000 miles on my truck The manual says 90K service or six years. My truck obviously is not driven too much.
It's NOT any different. You are past the recommended maintenance schedule of 6 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks for your advice.

Len in NC
If you haven't upgraded your front disks, I highly recommend it... I did it about 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since... Here is a link to the documentation that I used: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/brakes/117584-how-to-early-tundra-brake-upgrade/

·
Registered
76 Posts

Thanks for your advice.

Len in NC
The timing belt may have been pricy to fix if you were opposed to it before, however you'll save yourself a chunk of change in the long run.. And as for the brakes, I replaced mine about 3 weeks back because I had the same issue and have been so far so good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad you got it done, that's a lot of mileage on the original belt. I have about 230k km on my 02, and it was done by the previous owner at 140k km. I'll likely get it done this spring/summer just for the peace of mind, even though it'll be pretty premature at only about 95k km on the current belt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You will destroy the engine if the belt breaks while engine is running. You should replace the water pump while the front of the engine is open... Sounds like you are planning to get some life out of the truck.
I have 178-k on my tundra & the T- belt is original, iam leaving in 3-wks.for a 3,000 mile trip, after reading the above I guess I should replace mine?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts