Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody and thanks for viewing,
I own a 2002 limited 4.7l 4x4 and the transmission just blew at 158k.
Toyota dealership looked and said torque converter meaning total rebuild, no thanks.
Further investigation (probably on this site thank you) said that the planetary gears were poorly developed in the 1st generation tundra until a modification in late 2002. It happen exactly as I read, on the freeway, going 70 mph and it shuttered and almost shifted itself into neutral. Then no clicking into any gear drive or reverse and clanking vibrations.

This leaves me considering finding a 2003 used transmission to install that has developed planetary gears (i read little to no complaints on 2003 automatic transmissions) BUT WILL A 2003 TUNDRA TRANSMISSION FIT INTO MY 2002 TUNDRA? Toyota dealership told me that even though it would bolt on and is made for the same engine it would most likely not fit due to electrical connectors and length. Someone else also told me that toyota dealers couldnt tell me it would fit even if it did and why wouldn't it. Transmission shops want to rebuild my trans for 1500 or more and I feel like the same thing is going to happen next year when the gears and warranty go out. A used trans would run under $700 and 400 installed. Sounds like the way to go.

If anybody could tell me if I could install a 2003 into a 2002 I would appreciate it !
Thanks for viewing. Any help is appreciated.

Shea
Mesa, AZ
480-216-9745

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, an 03/04 tranny will work in a 00 - 02 tundra. On the 4WD tranny, no modification is necessary. On the 2WD tranny, the tailshaft has to be swapped so that the electrical sensors will plug-in. I have a 04 tranny in my 00 4WD Tundra and have had no issues. The transmission bolted up and plugged in without modification. There are others on this site who have also installed 03/04 tranny's in their 00 - 02 Tundras.

Remember to use the correct fluid in the 03/04 tranny. The 03/04's require a different fluid type than the 00 - 02's.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does anyone know about when in 02 the transmission was upgraded? 've got 166k + on mine and no problems so far, but I do tow a 5th wheel camper and a float with a farm tractor several times a year.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Bump. I would also like to know when the tranny upgrade was introduced or of another way yo tell.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I only used factory toyota atf dexron 3 in mine which is what 2000-2002 is suspossed to have, it is just a bad design on toyota's part the planetary was not beefy enough for a v8 I think it was originally designed for a v6. The 03-04 trannys use toyota atf type IV

·
Registered
115 Posts
I posted about this same topic a few days ago. I just bought a '04 tranny (4.7, 4wd) for my '00. It should be at my local shop tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is a direct swap but all indications and reassurance from this sight leave me with little to worry about. I'll post when completed to let you know how it went. I bought mine from LKQ - an '04 tranny w/ 25k miles. comes w/ a 6 month warranty.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yhea it will be a direct swap no problem. Just make sure they flush all the lines out and that they are using the appropriate fluid in the transmission, should be Toyota type T-IV fluid unless you use a better quality aftermarket fluid. Such as the ones people have had good luck on here with.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
X2 on the "don't worry it fits /works / plugs in fine," running a 2004 trans. in our 2000 v8 4x4 for 6000+ trouble free miles now.I have been using a Valvoline ATF that meets the "WS" spec as per the requirements of the later transmission, got it at the Autozone for about $20/gallon. Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I opened this thread 3 years ago now and the direct swap of a used '04 transmission I purchased from LKQ is running as strong as ever. It was a blessing in disguise that I didn't have the money at the time to fix it, I ended up doing my research and it fully paid off.

Good luck to anyone with the issue, the only way to do it is to swap out for a 2003 or later transmission.

Shea

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently, this same problem showed up in my 2002 4wd V8 Tundra. It has 170,000 hard miles on it with constant towing and hauling here in the Western North Carolina Mountains. This has been a great truck and my only complaint has been of course the brakes. Just a couple days ago the truck shuttered so hard when it shifted into overdrive I would have smacked my head on the windshield had I not been wearing a seat belt. I immediately threw it in neutral as a reaction and coasted to the stop sign I was approaching. After putting it back in drive, it drove fine for a few miles until right before I got home it did it again. Research told me it's the overdrive....bad bearing...something about the planetary gear....okay I get it. I need another transmission. As a test I drove it with the overdrive turned off. Everything is perfect. I have been driving it like this (locally of course) with zero issues while I search for another tranny. I have located a 2004 with 100,000 in grade A condition (take that with a grain of salt) for $400. It's 80 miles away so I have to find a friend to go get it with me in their truck. My QUESTION is this: What gaskets or seals (if any) will I need in addition to the pan seal to complete the swap? I have thoroughly read the Haynes Repair Manual on how to remove and reinstall the transmission, but it's not very detailed and I don't want to miss anything. Besides a new filter, pan gasket, fluid and some hard work, what else will I need for this job? Parts-wise of course. I've never attempted any sort of transmission work, but I've done my own timing belt on this project which from the looks of it is harder than this project. Any comments? I appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
joshuahina,

I just did a tranny swap in my 2000 Tundra. I got a 2003 4X4 tranny for 300 bucks from a local yard. All I bought for parts was a case of 12 quarts of synthetic ATF, a pan seal and a filter. There were no other seals I needed. The only seal we thought we needed was the transfter case seal. But there is no seal there. The guy who did mine put in about 20ish hours on a weekend doing it and some busted knucles later, my truck is shifting again.

There is another 2003 Tundra tranny with about 100K miles at my local yard if anyone wants to buy. The price is 300 bucks plus shipping from Elkhart Lake, WI (dunno zip). Welcome to Rhine Auto, Inc.

To add to the advice and reassurance of others in the same situation. My local yard said the 20003 tranny will not fit, but EVERYTHING bolted up fine. We resused the transfer case and luckily nothing snapped off when unbolting the dead tranny. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I too would like to know when in 02' the design was changed over to the improved planetary disc. I've searched a bit but cannot come up with anything. If anyone finds the info it would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
joshuahina,

I just did a tranny swap in my 2000 Tundra. I got a 2003 4X4 tranny for 300 bucks from a local yard. All I bought for parts was a case of 12 quarts of synthetic ATF, a pan seal and a filter. There were no other seals I needed. The only seal we thought we needed was the transfter case seal. But there is no seal there. The guy who did mine put in about 20ish hours on a weekend doing it and some busted knucles later, my truck is shifting again.

There is another 2003 Tundra tranny with about 100K miles at my local yard if anyone wants to buy. The price is 300 bucks plus shipping from Elkhart Lake, WI (dunno zip). Welcome to Rhine Auto, Inc.

To add to the advice and reassurance of others in the same situation. My local yard said the 20003 tranny will not fit, but EVERYTHING bolted up fine. We resused the transfer case and luckily nothing snapped off when unbolting the dead tranny. Hope this helps![/QUOTE

Thank you so much for the info! The transfer case seal was something I thought existed also. That's good news to hear that it does not. I was picturing myself squirting RTV sealant all around it. 20ish hours though! Oh man, I am not looking forward to that. I hope mine makes it to the weekend so I can put in the time.

You got a great deal on yours! Wish I was closer, shipping is a killer from there.

I also appreciate the reassurance that the new one will fit. That's a load off. I'll report back when I have this resolved.
:tu:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2000 2wd tundra, ive located a 04 2wd tranny for $750 43k miles,shipped from florida to NY,some one in this thread said tail peice would need to be swapped for 2wd model, i believe my problem is a failure in tailpiece, theres a grinding noise coming from tailpeice with truck in gear up on jack stand,worse in reverse than drive if that means anything.can anyone confirm if this is a direct swap or will i need a tail peice also if mine is bad? thanks for any advice MARK

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you have the V6 engine, be careful. The early Tundras with V6 had a kickdown cable and the later model trans won't work. (Later models all had electric kickdown. If you have a V8, no worries. As for the tailpiece, I think you'll be fine there as all you have to do is swap the tail housing becuase the speedometer sensors are different on the early vs the late model. $750 shipped for a 43K trans sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. The grinding you are hearing is undoubtedly an imploded planetary gearset, which is further forward in the transmission case itself, not in the rear housing. Good luck with the swap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts