Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Finally got everything together for my transmission swap on my 2000 4x2 SR5 V8 Tundra. I bought a used A-grade 2004 4x2 V8 Transmission (No millage listed) for $275 with a 6 month warranty from a local truck/cars parts place(Granted there was am additional $75 core charge which is waved when I bring my old used transmission back to them).

Only thing additional I bought for the swap: 4 of Genuine Toyota (00279-000T4-01) Automatic Transmission Fluid

I just dropped off the transmission at my local shop and they will be doing the repairs next week while I'm on vacation. I explained how the tailshaft needed to be swapped. And we questioned if just the connectors can be swapped instead at the tailpiece. (Will update afterwards). They are also going to do all my belts, thermostat, and waterpump while it's there. I can't wait to have my 275k baby purring like she did when I got her. Will post updates when I get her back on the 25th. And I'll place a rounded estimate for the total cost for all these maintenance and repairs. The goal is under $1500.

Belt kits also bought from amazon:
Aisin TKT-021 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump
Toyota Genuine Parts 90916-A2003 Alternator and Fan Belt
Genuine Toyota 90916-03100 Thermostat
Toyota 16346-50010, Engine Coolant Thermostat Gasket

·
Registered
522 Posts
Finally got everything together for my transmission swap on my 2000 4x2 SR5 V8 Tundra. I bought a used A-grade 2004 4x2 V8 Transmission (No millage listed) for $275 with a 6 month warranty from a local truck/cars parts place(Granted there was am additional $75 core charge which is waved when I bring my old used transmission back to them).

Only thing additional I bought for the swap: 4 of Genuine Toyota (00279-000T4-01) Automatic Transmission Fluid

I just dropped off the transmission at my local shop and they will be doing the repairs next week while I'm on vacation. I explained how the tailshaft needed to be swapped. And we questioned if just the connectors can be swapped instead at the tailpiece. (Will update afterwards). They are also going to do all my belts, thermostat, and waterpump while it's there. I can't wait to have my 275k baby purring like she did when I got her. Will post updates when I get her back on the 25th. And I'll place a rounded estimate for the total cost for all these maintenance and repairs. The goal is under $1500.

Did yours fail or something? Why are you swapping transmissions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did yours fail or something? Why are you swapping transmissions?
Yeah, driving on the highway is like feels like I'm going over several railroad tracks in a row when I accelerate or go uphill. Towing is also out of the question. Even in overdrive it kicks getting up to speed, as well as just normal acceleration once after driving for 20 minutes is sluggish and almost stalls getting up to speed. Also shifting from 3rd to 4th kicks nearly every time. This has been happening for nearly a year now and it has steadily become worse.

It was time for a replacement, I nearly made it over a mountain on a weekend trip 2 weeks ago.

About to drop her off, I'm excited as I just got the kits in the mail.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Okay, truck is back in my possession and she is wonderful! Here is the quick rundown of how things played out.

I used car-part.com to find the transmission I needed and my total with warranty and tax was $292.50. It was a fantastic find and I was very fortunate to find one this close to home. As mentioned above I ordered the Aisin Timing Belt kit and it's accessories from Amazon for a total of $279.57. In addition to the 4QTs of Fluid I bought from Amazon, I ended up needing to buy 6 more as my Mechanic drained the planetary gear as well in the used transmission going into my truck and it needed a total of 10QTs to get correct. ~$70. Total Labor Cost was close to $500 but I believe I got the "good buddy" discount so don't take my absolute word and go to your shops saying that it can be done for that price. I've seen only timing belt replacements cost $500 in Labor and not including a transmission swap.

I forgot to take photos of the transmissions themselves and I'm shooting myself in the foot for not doing so. The 00 Transmission taken out of the truck indeed had metal shaving on the bottom of the pan so there was some nasty going down inside and I'm so glad that I was prepared before it completely shattered like glass. The 04 transmission I received, the planetary gear and center piece that connects to the camshaft was rusted. No worries as I only needed to clean up the center piece that's inserted into the camshaft. In all everything worked just as described with my 2000 2WD 4.7 AC to 2004 2WD Tranny Swap. It was a direct bolt on and we needed to swap the tail pieces for it to connect to the sensors correctly. And it now rides smooth as the whiskey that touches my grandfather's whistle. For a total around $1150 I'd say it's definitely worth it.

If there is any questions please ask. I'll help where I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aviatoyo - Hi, please help me. I have a 2002 Tundra Sr5, V8 2WD with bad tranny. beside flushing fluid and swapping tail piece you fell an 03,04 with same specs will fit with not major issues? Only 2000 trannys I found have 1000k miles on them. thanks in advance, Robert

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, an 03/04 tranny will work in a 00 - 02 tundra. On the 4WD tranny, no modification is necessary. On the 2WD tranny, the tailshaft has to be swapped so that the electrical sensors will plug-in. I have a 04 tranny in my 00 4WD Tundra and have had no issues. The transmission bolted up and plugged in without modification. There are others on this site who have also installed 03/04 tranny's in their 00 - 02 Tundras.

Remember to use the correct fluid in the 03/04 tranny. The 03/04's require a different fluid type than the 00 - 02's.
Will a trans from 2000 4x4 v8 fit in my 2002 4x4 v8

·
Registered
24 Posts
Will a trans from 2000 4x4 v8 fit in my 2002 4x4 v8
Yes, but but your better off getting a 2003-2004 trans that will fit. Read this entire thread from the beginning with info on why the 00-02 trans’ are not as good.

Reactions: LGL002

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a used 2000 Toyota Tundra 4wd this past weekend. Past two owners did a lot of major services to the truck and so far it seems to be in good shape according to my mechanic. That being said, I know it's a 20 year old truck and it currently has 202k miles. One of the services that was done about 7 years ago was the transmission was replaced. I don't know whether it was a used oem one or a rebuilt. That being said, it is smooth 99% of the time but occasionally it is reluctant to shift from 2nd to 3rd. When it does shift, it's not clunky, just that the RPMs are higher that usual when it finally shifts. Is this an early indicator of the replacement transmission finally failing? I ask because I case across a used 2003 Tundra transmission here locally for $150. Seller said it came off a truck with 190k miles. So it's not far behind mine but he says it works fine. Other catch to it is that it came from a 2wd truck. Would that work in mine if needed? I'm kind of wondering if I should grab it just in case since it's so cheap? Thanks in advance!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts