Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my struts and shocks with a replacement strut assembly that includes the shock and the complete assembly is purchased and installed as a unit. Has anyone done this recently, and if so, what replacement part did you use. I would appreciate the information on what part to buy i.e. Belstein, Monroe, etc. Did your replacement shock assembly with springs fit easily or were there any problems?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've always installed the springs myself but even if you buy them separate a shop can put the springs on the struts or fairly cheap. After that install is easy. I will say that compressing our springs to the 4th notch on bilstien 5100s is a batch. Wear safety glasses and a face shield if you do. I have a good set of compressors and they were maxed out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just today replaced my rear shocks for the first time in 19 years and 112,000 miles on my 2001 Tundra...... way over due. I am going to take the front shock/spring assembly out and take them to a shop to have the new shocks installed. No way am I going to try to compress the springs.

I went with Bilstein 4600 shocks; 24-185387 for the front and 24-185394 for the rear. I bought them from 4-Wheel Parts Wholesalers on line and found a 5% off coupon on line. Out the door shipped to my door they were $312.03. The 4600 are identical to their 5100 shocks with the exception of looks and the ability to change the ride height. If you're good with the stock ride height (IMHO) the Bilstein 4600 series is the way to go.

There are a ton of videos on line showing how to do this. Auto Zone has one of the best videos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts