Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys being a Honda Loyalist now, I just had to throw this thread into the mix. Seeing as how the new 4Run is coming out here soon how do you think it compares to a new segment leader in the Honda Pilot? As far as power and off road capability, yes the 4Run will win. But as far as what people need and use an SUV for nowadays, the Pilot would take the cake. What is your take on the subject? Not to bash, but please try not to be biased towards Toyota. I am equal on both sides although I just really like the new Hondas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What comparison

Toyota can and will do everything the Honda pilot does and better. Look man, 4runners ( I'm speaking for the Limited model) has excellent leather soft seats, large interior cabin and excellent other creature comfort. 4runner doesn't have a third seat, but it's an rugged Man Truck. Well, The Honda pilot on the other hand is just a forked up Honda pilot. Come on, the pilots tires are skinny, the engine and suspension carry over from the Honda odyssey, shows that it's just another minni van type suv. These two trucks aren't comparable, compare the pilot to the Toyota Highlander will be better.

Look, the Toyota 4runner is regarded as the benchmark in being the top suv in its class. Great engine, great durability, excellent finish, toyota reliability, all the bells and wistles. Look at the previous 4 runner (3rd gen), where it's v6(although no longer a strong engine, thats why there is a 2003 all new V6) muscular looking Limited model kicked ass for a long time. The 2003 is gonna even better than the 3rd gen.

The Honda pilot is great, but it aint a 2003 TOYOTA 4RUNNER LIMITED 4X4, V8. Come on. It's like putting a Honda Civic si against a Acura integra type R, no contest. Toyota also has thee bragging rights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What comparison

Toyota can and will do everything the Honda pilot does and better. Look man, 4runners ( I'm speaking for the Limited model) has excellent leather soft seats, large interior cabin and excellent other creature comfort. 4runner doesn't have a third seat, but it's an rugged Man Truck. Well, The Honda pilot on the other hand is just a forked up Honda pilot. Come on, the pilots tires are skinny, the engine and suspension carry over from the Honda odyssey, shows that it's just another minni van type suv. These two trucks aren't comparable, compare the pilot to the Toyota Highlander will be better.

Look, the Toyota 4runner is regarded as the benchmark in being the top suv in its class. Great engine, great durability, excellent finish, toyota reliability, all the bells and wistles. Look at the previous 4 runner (3rd gen), where it's v6(although no longer a strong engine, thats why there is a 2003 all new V6) muscular looking Limited model kicked ass for a long time. The 2003 is gonna even better than the 3rd gen.

The Honda pilot is great, but it aint a 2003 TOYOTA 4RUNNER LIMITED 4X4, V8. Come on. It's like putting a Honda Civic si against a Acura integra type R, no contest.

·
Registered
63 Posts
3rd Seat

Personally, I wouldn't consider the third seat as being an advantage. For this size vehicle I don't think it is worth wasting the space with the third row seat. Fit a couple midgets back there and you are all set, but for adults even children, I don't see it as being comfortable for long trips. And to think the Tundra's back seat is uncomfortable. I'm not bashing the idea of a third row seat, and for some people, depending on their personal need, it would be viable. I think it is great in a Sequoia, Suburban or Expedition, but is just too cramped for the midsize SUV's such as the 4 Runner, Explorer, Highlander etc. Just my opinion.

I want a new 4-Runner!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think if the 3rd row can be folded flat in the floor, it's a big advantage over not having one at all. My parents own an MDX, and the 3rd row is comfortable even for adults, as long as the trip isn't too long. It comes in handy on a regular basis, and is one of the main reasons they bought that particular vehicle.

But - If you have a midsized SUV where the 3rd row can't be put into the floor (which is generally the case if you have a live axle rear suspension), then the 3rd row will take up the whole back - just check out the pics of the new Lexus GX. So my conclusion is that 3rd rows are great on many SUV's, and not just the big ones as the previous post claims, but it's just not practical on the new 4Runner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's take into consideration pricing and what people realitically use an SUV for nowadays. The Pilot is a low priced bargain, while the 4Run's can get really heavy really quickly. No the Pilot doesn't have Humvee like off road capabilities, although I've read reports that tested it against 4Run's, TB, Explorers, Highlanders, etc and it more than held its own. No it really doesn't have a "True 4x4 system" although that same system and engine have been proven in the MDX for over 2 years now. SUV buyers aren't going to use a big rig SUV for what its intended for in every case. More and more soccer mom types are going for SUV's like the Pilot. Many of the old style so called "Real SUV's" are losing their place in the market, and mostly loyal buyers are the only one who are "loyal" to these vehicles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For sure. No disagreement there. If the third row can be folded into the floor, and not have to be removed and stored in the garage when not in use, it would definitely be a great addition to any SUV. Use it when you want, make it disappear when you don't need it. The MDX is a very nice vehicle. That was one of my options before the Tundra. Quick, comfy and plenty of room.

Take care,
-Clay

cpate said:
I think if the 3rd row can be folded flat in the floor, it's a big advantage over not having one at all. My parents own an MDX, and the 3rd row is comfortable even for adults, as long as the trip isn't too long. It comes in handy on a regular basis, and is one of the main reasons they bought that particular vehicle.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
LiuBei-
I agree, for what the vast majority uses SUV's for, I think the Honda wins. But, like lichtenstein said, it would be better to compare the Pilot to the Highlander since they are both car based SUV's and have a more similar drive system. The Pilot, and other car based SUV's, are just minivans on steroids.

Can't comment on the interiors but I can say that the last gen. 4Runner was really cramped and even the Honda CRV has more interior room. Hopefully an improvement this year.

If I had my choice, I would take the 4Runner (Loyalty, my '87 4Runner has over 320,000 miles on it). However I would buy a Pilot before a Highlander.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Obviously some of you are tainted by Toyota products....

For the majority the Pilot will still be the better overall buy. It has vastly more room, better fuel economy, probably similar 0-60 times, and very capable 4x4 system. It is based on the Acura MDX... more so then Odyssey, Accord, TL, etc....

I dont think most of you who are commenting have even driven the Pilot and I know all of you havent driven the new 4runner so how can you be so sure the 4Runner is the best deal... for the limited 4x4 v8 model I am sure the price will reach 40 large ones..... sorry but thats a lot of money... Id rather get a loaded Pilot for 30 and spend the rest on a boat!!!

Ive driven Acura products and I am a current owner of my beloved 2000 Tundra.... but anyone who isnt so biased towards one make will surely know that the Pilot will continue to dominate in its class because there isnt a better buy for under 30K.

If youre thinking of spending 40 for the new 4Runner... theres a ton of great SUV out there that you should compare it too....

Also someone said the third row seat in the Pilot/MDX is tight ... compared to the Tundras!!!! My goodness.... I can sit comfortably in the Pilot/MDX third row seat.... just enough knee room, plenty of head room, and the seats comfortable... its the getting in and out part. On my Tundra.... the only way i can sit back there is with my legs on the bench... It is embarrassing to ask anyone to sit back there because its so uncomfortable....

The only thing the Pilot and most Honda products can improve on is their plain jane looks... but Toyota designers are hardly better....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has anyone look into the Nissan Murano? IMO, I say the Murano is better design all around then the Pilot. I've seen a Honda Pilot up close, and it look to close to an over-size CR-V. A 3rd row seat may be nice, but I say it's better in a full-size SUV. If I wanted a 3rd row seat, I would've bought a mini-van. All around I'm happy with our Highlander.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree that the Murano looks a lot better than the Pilot, but it's meant for a different customer. The Pilot is for the family who wants a lot of room, and needs the 3rd row, but thinks minivans are weak. The Murano is for the person who doesn't need a 3rd row, and doesn't need to go off-road, but still wants the size/looks of an SUV. In short, I think of the Pilot as a full-sized SUV, and the Murano as midsized. If you don't believe me, sit in a Pilot, and then go sit in a Tahoe - you'll see how big the Pilot is inside. Murano should be much smaller - about the size of the CRV, just more upscale.

The fact still remains - if you want to go off-road on a regular basis, none of these car-based SUV's will cut it. Get a 4Runner, Pathfinder, Explorer, or something like that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
cpate, the Pilot is not much bigger then the Murano and Highlander. Also the Honda CR-V should not even be compared to the Nissan Murano. If you compared the lenght, height, width, and wheelbase of all three SUVs (Pilot, Highlander, & Murano), they are no more then 10-inches difference.

I've park my Toy Highlander next to a Honda Pilot and it's almost the same size. I say the only thing I like about the Pilot is the 3rd row seat. Also if my wife and I were to trade in our Highlander in the future, I would trade it in for the Murano.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Pilot is Verrry nice, but like others have said at length, it's comparing apples and oranges. Pilot is based on a Car like chassis, the "Runner" is based on a truck chassis. I'm sure the Pilot's off road capabilities are very good, as it is a front wheel drive base, then incorporates the rear wheels for 4wd. It does NOT have a Low 4WD gear like 'Runner, Tundra etc. I wonder how the 4WD of the Pilot would stack up in a getoutofbeingstuck situation?
As far as the new 'Runner being $40,000? The 02 Sequios(spelling) are around $37k, for a full size V8 Suv, so my guess is the V8 'Runner will be in the low to mid $30's?
Jordan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Youre right if youre comparing the intended purpose of the 4Runner vs Pilot or MDX... they are totally different in their nature but as most people use their SUV for people carrying to the mall...towing their boat and occasional camping that a Subaru Outback would have hardly any problems with I still say for the vast majority the idea of carrying 7 people in a vehicle hardly bigger then a highlander is much more credible then owning a 40K Limited 4Runner or for that matter a 30K Highlander.... I really think Honda has done a terrific job with the Pilot.... and esp setting a low price.

I am not really into SUVs as much as I am into my Tundra but if I had to choose between Highlander and Pilot I would go with Pilot and if I had to choose between 4Runner and MDX I would PROBABLY go with MDX... I havent driven 2003 4Runner so cant be sure but I just see the MDX being more practical.... and I still have my Tundra if I really want to get stuck in deep mud....

BTW the Pilot/MDX 4 wheel drive system is unique in the business.... It really works well for medium off road stuff....
and their is a locking mechanism for the 4 wheel drive where power to the front wheels is approx 48% and rear is 52%....

for 2003 I heard the power on the MDX is going up to about 260 HP vs 240 right now.... with other enhancements that the pilot doesnt offer...

In regards to the 4Runner... I am positive it will be very nice..... I am glad there is a 5 speed auto transmission finally.... and the improved v6 sounds great.... Against the other mid size truck based SUV's out there I would definitely choose Toyota simply because I trust Toyotas....

One other little thing.... I cant really complain about the trucks but Toyota seriously needs to set their MSRP's a little lower for their SUV.... The prices are rediculous... I bet you a fully loaded limited V8 Runner will be 40K.... like 39,998 or something like that.... thats just too much money dude....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pilot Etc..

I agree if it is 40k, that is just too much..The Pilot is 8 to 10k lower in price then the MDX..I would love to read more about the Pilot(write ups, comparisons etc..)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Made In Japan..

I just realized the price difference issue, The Pilot, Highlander, Tundra, Sequoia are all made here in the states,(or Canada/England) the 'Runner' is Made In Japan, I wonder as to the quality differences?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think you just nailed in on the head.... Its probably that it is made in Japan.... Also in my opinion... its because there isnt as much commonality in the parts..... You look at the new Nissan 350Z... its almost 100% Japanese but its price is pretty good for what you get imo because it shares parts with at least 4-5 other Nissan/Infiniti models.... The Runner has fewer common parts to share with.... I guess Toyota is definitely getting its use out of the 4.7V8 though....

btw I wonder if that V8 in the Runner will be built here or in Japan...

One other little reason all SUV prices are so high is because the automakers know theres demand for it and people are willing to pay for it....

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
What are saying

For the majority the Pilot will still be the better overall buy. It has vastly more room, better fuel economy, probably similar 0-60 times, and very capable 4x4 system. It is based on the Acura MDX... more so then Odyssey, Accord, TL, etc....

You can't say Pilot "capable 4x4" and "based on the Acura MDX" in the same paragraph. The Acura MDX is a Honda Odyssey with all Wheel drive. All the 4x4 runs I have done, I have never seen any Honda product 4 wheeling other than Quads and Motorcycles.

Pilot is great if you are a Mom taking your kids to a soccer game.

Personnaly the 4Runner is not an SUV. Its what I call, an ORUV "Off Road Utility Vehicle". Very few vehilces can qualify as an ORUV and the Pilot is not one of them. The Pilot has Unit Body Construction as the 4Runner does not. Heck, my Celica has Unit Body Construction, what does that tell you about the "capable 4x4" of the Pilot. Another reason why the 4Runner is more expensive. Its alot cheaper to make a car frame then a truck frame. :rolleyes:

True ORUVs:
LandCruiser
4Runner
Sequoia
Land Rov. Discovery and Range Rover
Jeeps
Chevy - Tahoe, Subur. etc.
Ford - Expedition

Please do not compare any SUV's to the ORUV 4Runner. Its like comparing Oranges to Apples.

~A

1 - 20 of 57 Posts