Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my employee has a 2003 Highlander that’s been dripping transmission fluid. He brought it to a mechanic that said the motor mounts were gone and somehow caused the transmission to drip possibly making a hole in it? How difficult is it to change the mounts on this V6 Highlander?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Probably no on responded because none of what you are saying makes any sense at all. Not saying you, just saying how does a motor mount put a hole in a tranny? It about as much sense as saying a chip in my windshield caused my AC to stop working.
What exactly is leaking? Is there a hole in the pan? What exactly is wrong with the mounts? Are they totally rotten and disintegrated away? If you provide specifics you might have more luck of getting someone to help you out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whether it makes sense or not someone might know how to replace the motor mounts.

Apparently what happened was the engine has been bouncing around so much that the transmission is sitting on something and put a hole in the pan.

The pan should be easy but the mounts could be a problem

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
There's usually 4 mounts. 2 at the sides, one front and one back. It would probably depend on which ones are shot. No sense in replacing all of them if only 1 is bad. Are you even sure thats the problem though? Is the hole in the pan was from that and not just something like normal rusting or a rock? You just want to be sure of the cause first so you can properly fix it.

Reactions: aggreX

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I’m just going by what the mechanic told him. Also he quoted him 10 hrs for the mounts alone. The pan itself I would think should be straight forward. Thanks

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
A mechanic who's done it before could probably pull it off in a few hours but I think most shops charge by book value no matter the time needed for the actual repair. So your employee is looking at about a grand to fix a leaky pan if not more right? Thats why I would want to be damn sure the mounts were really the problem before I shell out that kind of money.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Find a new mechanic, one who knows the 3.0L 1MZFE engine, its a good engine until someone doesn't change the oil every 3k miles. They don't tolerate gunky oil well as it tends to clog up oil control valves and starve the heads.. was worse in the RX vehicles because they were tilted back and ran hotter because of their packaging. More air cooling and upright in the highlander. The Highlander and RX used the same engine/trans but my 00' RX300 was AWD and had a pneumatic mount in the front. If a mount is actually bad it is most likely just the front pneumatic mount might be oil or fixed mount on the Highlander. I replaced mine with a good used one and we also had to replace one on my dad's 03 Highlander after that. Replacing that mount is easy and absolutely not a 10hr job or even caused the trans to leak. It is front wheel drive, the trans moves with the engine so not really a way it would cause a transmission leak. Both things are common at their age and mileage.

As far as the transmission leak, if it is not just gushing out tell you employee to do himself a favor and just dump a bottle of Blue Devil Trans Leak Stop in it. Its like $12-15 a bottle and actually works great. If the seal is just worn and not broken cracked etc... it will stop the leak within a few drive trips.
Mine had 230k miles on when it started to leak and I used a bottle. I drove it for another 20k miles without a drop before I sold it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts