Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I just recently purchased a 2003 Toyota Sequoia 4WD Ltd. with 200k miles. Definitely needs a little TLC but my only plans with it are to shuttle my friend and I on ski trips on the East Coast. I will post a build thread soon once I've taken care of a few things.

Anyways, I bought it knowing that there was something going on with the exhaust system as it sounded like a couple leaks were present. I brought it to a Meineke in New Jersey and they told me my cats were shot and exhaust as well - Total replacement, parts + labor would cost $3000k. He may be quoting Toyota OEM parts since I've seen aftermarket cats/catback systems for less than that.

My question to you guys - Have any of you replaced your cats or exhaust systems? Any recommendations on brands that you like or think are good quality (Borla, Gibson, MF)? I live in NY so i'm going to have to get a CARB compliant cat that doesn't trip the CEL, and ideally I'd like to hear a quieter sound around town but a nice growl when I hit the gas.

Also, have any of you replaced the cats / exhaust yourself and is it possible for a relative newbie to do? I'm willing to roll up the sleeves and put in the time if it's just a matter of that (and little technical skills).

Thanks guys

Alonso

·
Registered
186 Posts
RockAuto.com you are looking at @ $600 for the carb compliant cats. I don't know what else you need to replace. It is not a DIY job for the average person. That being said, I'd do one of two things. Hunt for a recommended Toyota mechanic on this forum or find an independent mechanic and build a relationship with him. It is vital and will go a long way towards saving you money. Get another quote for sure. These trucks are very dependable and can serve you for a long time. I'm guessing that you should be able to have the entire exhaust system replaced for about $2200 +/-. Fancy aftermarket mufflers will give you a growl. Normal Walker brand mufflers run about $200. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scuddog, that’s really helpful. Hopefully I can wait it out for a few months until I have a better idea what I’m going to do with this thing. For now just small cosmetic stuff and making sure all the fluids are in order

Anyone have an good recs for Toyota mechanics in the East Coast / tri-state area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a mod you can do for inefficient cat codes, you solder in a capacitor and resistor and can be done inside cabin. O2 sensors need to be working though.

That being said, I have done this and its VERY hard to get the cat pipes separated from the exhaust manifold, I even had a couple places try and fail. Nothing a dremmel, drilll, and taps can resolve. Got my cats from rockauto and they all passed but it wasn't worth the effort.

That being said, if its just inefficient cat code, do the mod, get an ebay cat back if needed for 250ish and call it a day. Invest in reliability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - it’s actually not a CEL code and passed NJ inspection recently (I’m getting NY inspection soon). Probably just Meineke trying to take my money for an entire new exhaust. I’m taking to Toyota service dealership to get the airbag replaced in a week so I may just have them take a look at the cats as well

·
Registered
142 Posts
That quote you received is not far off... When my cats were stolen it a was about $4500 to get a new OEM set at a dealership here in California. Luckily my insurance covered the bill.

If NJ has pretty lax laws, you can have an indie muffler shop weld in some new cats for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - I actually came across someone who has OEM cat back from his 2008-2017 tundra as he did the TRD upgrade. I know it’s not the cats (which are the most expensive and important part), but would it be possible to use the Muffler system from his stock later-model tundra on my existing cats or 2001-2007 cats? I’m just thinking this may be a cheap temporary fix to the sound issue on my muffler leak which is another issue from the cats - I could take care of the cats at a later date

View attachment 150755

·
Registered
189 Posts
I recently replaced my exhaust.... went with JBA long tube headers dual 7525 vibrant gesi cats and went 2 into 1 into my existing Gibson cat back. Was a huge power increase by butt dyno. Well worth the cost of the upgrade.

Runs awesome, really woke up the engine and no CEL’s 😎👍🏻

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I recently replaced my exhaust.... went with JBA long tube headers dual 7525 vibrant gesi cats and went 2 into 1 into my existing Gibson cat back. Was a huge power increase by butt dyno. Well worth the cost of the upgrade.

Runs awesome, really woke up the engine and no CEL’s 😎👍🏻
LOVE the look of those long tubes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info, those tubes look great! Would love to do that but I don’t think I can do those cats in my state. Where do you live? I’m in NY

·
Registered
189 Posts
Got it, yea.... I have no idea on the emissions laws where you are. I am in the mid-west... those cats I bought were cheap on amazon and are high flow...low restriction. They pair really well with the JBA 6010s long tube headers. If I had to guess, I would say the setup added 20-30 hp... it is definitely noticeable and made a significant improvement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These Pesky NY emissions laws are a pain in the a$$ . For now I’m going to go with Walker / Dorman OEM replacement parts for the full exhaust including manifolds. Was thinking about doing the JBA headers but I don’t want to throw codes before my inspection. Was also thinking about Magnaflow catback after OEM but do you guys think that exhaust is worth the ~$400 price bump over OEM exhaust?

Thanks for the help guys , here’s my current setup as she stands

·
Registered
44 Posts
I only got two years out of my walker muffler before it rusted out. My cats are rusted at the bungs so badly that the sensors don't seal and I get the CEL. I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to decide how much to replace to get it to pass. I got a quote for a midas to do it and it was outrageous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I only got two years out of my walker muffler before it rusted out. My cats are rusted at the bungs so badly that the sensors don't seal and I get the CEL. I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to decide how much to replace to get it to pass. I got a quote for a midas to do it and it was outrageous.

Hey Jay - let me know if you want to chat. Did you replace your Cats with Walker or were they stock? I’m replacing the whole thing but wondering if I should pay a bit more for stainless steal Magnaflow catback

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey Jay - let me know if you want to chat. Did you replace your Cats with Walker or were they stock? I’m replacing the whole thing but wondering if I should pay a bit more for stainless steal Magnaflow catback

Pretty sure all the converters Walker makes are stainless. The mufflers usually have a couple choices with their Quiet Flow being the stainless version.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My cats are stock. I've only replaced the muffler after the original finally rotted out after 250k and 15 years. All the flanges from the cat back had rusted out over time and leaked so were welded up with straight pipes so now i can't replace anything without having a shop weld it up. Was considering getting headers just for fun and replacing everything as nothing is worth saving at this point but the price tag was just too much and the whole rig is so rusty that I don't want to invest a ton not knowing how many more years I can get out of it. I'm staying tuned to hear how you end up going. I'll post back if I get around to doing anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went with Dorman manifolds, Walker cats, walker midpipe and walker exhaust. I’m gonna have a Meineke put these parts on. Going for the lowest cost option as I am in the same boat and don’t want to spend that much without know how many more years I’ll have with the vehicle

Will update you guys when it’s all installed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts