Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a travel trailer to pull behind my 2003 Sequoia 4x4 Limited . I would love to be able to pull a 29" ft travel trailer with a dry weight of 5920 and a hitch weight of 780 . We plan on driving it in Fl and Smoky mtns in Tenessee. We will not be drivinig it in Colorado or such. we do not plan to be towing it with empty water tanks. We plan on buying a good quality stabilizer sway system for the hitch.

My 2003 Sequoia has a Towing capacity 6300.

This will be my first trailer and honestly I am not sure if I am choosing a trailer that is too heavy or long and overdoing it. If I need to down size my choice to a 19 ft.

Any real life feedback would be great -

·
Registered
9 Posts
Honestly, the 29 footer is going to be to much weight for your tow rating of 6300. I tow a 26 ft TT that started off at 5100 pounds and is right at 6000 ready to camp. The hitch weight will go up as well as you load it and you will almost certainly be over your RAWR if not your GVWR as well. Also, the Sequoia has a shorter wheelbase that makes trailer sway much more likely if not set up properly. If it were me, I would be shopping for something in the 3500-4500 empty weight and see what size of trailer will fall into that. IF you plan to add water to your tanks, which will add considerable weight, maybe a lighter trailer. You will be surprised how much weight you will add to a TT when you go camping, and we seem to add more and more over time. You will also have to have a quality trailer brake controller as well as the best weight distributing hitch/sway control you can afford. Check this forum as well for all kinds of advise RV Itch - The friendliest RV Web Site

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have to agree with gizmo0706. A 29ft trailer is not only too heavy but too long for the wheelbase of the Sequoia, even the second generation. I know lots of people pull trailers of that length with the Sequoia but I don't believe it is safe. I pull a 26.5ft trailer with my second generation without any problems, however, if you visit some RV sites, there is a formula for calculating the maximum length of the trailer based on the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. According to several sites, even my trailer is too long. If I remember correctly, the max length of a trailer for the first generation Sequoia is 22-24ft. Also keep in mind that the tow ratings of most vehicles are on the optimistic side. A good rule of thumb is to never tow anything heavier than 85% of the vehicles tow rating. For the first generation of Sequoia, this would be 5355lbs. Toyota, starting in 2011, lowered there tow ratings of most vehicles, along with several other manufacturers, to reflect a new SAE standard. The rating for my truck went from 9100 to 7300lbs.

My previous vehicle, a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder, was rated at 6000lbs towing capacity and my trailer was about 5900lbs fully loaded. While it had the power to pull the trailer, it was very hard on the drive train. Had to replace several U-joints as the trailer weight was too close to the "rated" towing capacity. If I had used the 85% rule, there would have been no problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You're going to have to work this one out yourself. Take some units out for a test pull. You're going to need a good WDH hitch. Talk to a bunch of folks (most RVers are pretty helpful, but talk to the ones that look like they know what they're doing). Maybe rent / borrow a unit to see. The big challenge with Sequoias isn't the tow limit but GVWR. Work out how much you'll be taking in vehicle & TT. Be thorough.

I tow a 35' 6500 dry (appro.x 7200 wet) TT just fine with an 08 Seq all through AB, BC, WA, ID & MT. We do about 40 nights & 5000 to 10000km a year. We've been the only RV on the road a few times due to wind & taken it easy.

29' is a big sail - you bow wave will move other vehicles & similar will happen to you. And don't plan on driving too fast.

Good luck.

This guy here did a bunch of great work:
toyotasequoia - www.paushe.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts