Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 2WD Sequoia that did not come factory with the towing package. I recently installed a wiring harness (4 prong). My blinkers, brake lights and hazard lights all work on my trailer but when I use my head lights, the regular trailer lights do not come on. Can anyone help?

david

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I'm curious too...is this a plug and play harness made for your vehicle?...or are you splicing it in?

I'm sure you already know this, but the running lights (brown wire on the 4 prong trailer harness) should be linked to your tail (not brake) lights (which is sometimes known as your running lights), and so it is not necessarily linked to your headlights, because on most vehicles, you can turn your tail (running) lights on without turning the headlights one. Anyway, you just need to find the wire that has 12v when the tail-lights are on. You should be able to tap into one of the wires for one of the tail lights. Just make sure you get the right one...and not the brake light lead...which will only have 12v when the brakes are applied. Good luck.

Having said all of that, I'm not familiar with the '03 wiring system, so I can't help but wonder if it might be a CAN-BUS type system. If so, you may not be able to just tap/splice into your tail light wires, and it may require a special harness with relays and such. Just a thought.

Regards,
Toolman_Johnny

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also read somewhere that I might need to add a relay of some type. It stated that the part number for the relay was 9098702012. I called my local toyota dealer and asked what this relay was used for, they said it was for mulitple things. Could it be possible that this relay is required to make everything work properly?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if another relay was required for the trailer tail/marker lights. There would be several more lights on that circuit than the turn or brake circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts