Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends!

This is something most of us have heard of, the speakers on the Toyota Sequoia aren't made anymore.

So I was fixing the front 2 speakers, and one of them fell apart in my hand.

Now I need to replace them for sure.

What have you guys done?

Retro fit some kind of mount to get it to fit 6.5's?
Can I find original speakers from Toyota?

Car toys wants $1,000 to do all 4 speakers. They will make mount and put in a new amp.

What have you done?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I managed to buy one of those speaker repair kits. Ugh, never again!! Yeah it was nice to be able to fix my stock speakers for $75, but the labor and time to do the work eliminated most all the cost savings benefit, IMO. Next time they crap out, I'm going aftermarket.

Depending on the brand(s)/quality of the new gear, that $1000 doesn't sound too bad of a deal, not to mention, you'll probably never have to replace those speakers again!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up buying one of those kits to install, and the drivers side fell apart in my hand.

I contacted Simply Speakers, they said they would rebuild them for $95 a piece. So I sent them in. Hopefully this works well!

·
Registered
142 Posts
So I've been looking to do a front speaker swap for awhile on the cheap. I have no good solution yet, but here are the options I am pondering-

1) Best Buy install. The front speakers aren't the right size for a direct swap, but some Best Buy installers have gotten creative using marine speakers to work. When I provided my vehicle info to the Best Buy rep he accessed a database that their installers reference from all Best Buys, so basically one installer for Best Buy figured out a way to do it and then posted notes for other installers. I estimated this would cost me about $500 for the parts and installation, which is a small fortune IMO but better than the 1k the dealer quoted, but then again that was for 4 speakers so I am curious what the quote was for two speakers up front? Maybe they are competitive with best buy. My truck is a limited model with upgraded sound BTW.

2) Do it myself. There are marine grade speaker options that will fit however the ohms need to match what I am replacing if I want to do it right, or I need to replace my stock amplifier and potentially all the speakers to work with the new amp's output. Cost for speakers alone is somewhere between $150 - $300. So the plan is to keep the stock amp, find marine speakers that fit and have the right ohm's, and figure out how to get the door panel off without destroying things. Not sure where the pins are located to pull the front door paneling to get at the speakers, if anyone has done it before please share.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ended up buying one of those kits to install, and the drivers side fell apart in my hand.

I contacted Simply Speakers, they said they would rebuild them for $95 a piece. So I sent them in. Hopefully this works well!
For the cost, I think that's the best solution. How expensive is the shipping?

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are plenty of threads already listed on this site. I suggest you search for one and look at the adaptors to mount the odd sized OEM speaker replacements. Pay attention to the OHM rating... it matters. Good luck. This was quite a repair with the JBL system... it was awful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've been looking to do a front speaker swap for awhile on the cheap. I have no good solution yet, but here are the options I am pondering-

1) Best Buy install. The front speakers aren't the right size for a direct swap, but some Best Buy installers have gotten creative using marine speakers to work. When I provided my vehicle info to the Best Buy rep he accessed a database that their installers reference from all Best Buys, so basically one installer for Best Buy figured out a way to do it and then posted notes for other installers. I estimated this would cost me about $500 for the parts and installation, which is a small fortune IMO but better than the 1k the dealer quoted, but then again that was for 4 speakers so I am curious what the quote was for two speakers up front? Maybe they are competitive with best buy. My truck is a limited model with upgraded sound BTW.

2) Do it myself. There are marine grade speaker options that will fit however the ohms need to match what I am replacing if I want to do it right, or I need to replace my stock amplifier and potentially all the speakers to work with the new amp's output. Cost for speakers alone is somewhere between $150 - $300. So the plan is to keep the stock amp, find marine speakers that fit and have the right ohm's, and figure out how to get the door panel off without destroying things. Not sure where the pins are located to pull the front door paneling to get at the speakers, if anyone has done it before please share.

Getting to the speakers is simple. Just take the door panels off. There's 3 screws and a bunch of little clips.

I think you should consider the route I'm taking. Seems cheaper.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the cost, I think that's the best solution. How expensive is the shipping?
Shipping was $33 one way.
All in I'll be here:
Speaker repairs - $95 x2
Shipping - $35 x2

Total (rough): $260

Which isn't bad considering speakers at this quality are usually $300 a pair.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Getting to the speakers is simple. Just take the door panels off. There's 3 screws and a bunch of little clips.

Yep, I watched the tutorial at Simply Speakers and the foam repair is in my wheelhouse. I think the kit was $28 but not sure if that’s for one or two new foams. Either way that’s just the way I like it ... cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep, I watched the tutorial at Simply Speakers and the foam repair is in my wheelhouse. I think the kit was $28 but not sure if that’s for one or two new foams. Either way that’s just the way I like it ... cheap.
Yeah $28 is for 2 foams for the 7" woofers. It doesn't look like hard job ( just based on the video.) Id like to know what was hardest part for most people.

IMO replacing the foam is the best way to go, unless you are prepared to spend some big bucks and time on it. The JBL system is a good 3way system that has pretty good sound stage and tonal accuracy.

Just replacing the speaker with a aftermarket speaker (If you can find the the right ohms speakers) MAY get you a louder system but sound quality will suffer. I wonder how you would even wire it going from 3 way with crossovers, to a 2 way, not knowing were the crossovers are... without replacing the amp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah $28 is for 2 foams for the 7" woofers. It doesn't look like hard job ( just based on the video.) Id like to know what was hardest part for most people.
For me it was scraping all the old stuff off the cones WITHOUT cutting or puncturing the cone. Simple process, but definitely tedious, but I'm pretty anal about stuff like that too.

·
Registered
122 Posts

IMO replacing the foam is the best way to go, unless you are prepared to spend some big bucks and time on it. The JBL system is a good 3way system that has pretty good sound stage and tonal accuracy.

Just replacing the speaker with a aftermarket speaker (If you can find the the right ohms speakers) MAY get you a louder system but sound quality will suffer. I wonder how you would even wire it going from 3 way with crossovers, to a 2 way, not knowing were the crossovers are... without replacing the amp.
Follow the video and take your time. It's not that hard. I did it 4 years ago and the speaker still sound like new to this day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found these at Crutchfield.

2ohm, but you will need to order the speaker harness/connector separately, as they are technically not a drop-in replacement. I elected to cut the speaker harness.

They fit in the openings, but the holes don't line up. I used 1" screws to mount them directly to the plastic speaker housing.

I can't post a link so search Google:

Crutchfield p_151L2700/PowerBass-L2-700.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To do the speaker repair yourself can take all day. And getting stuck with all that messy glue is not fun.

Hopefully Simply Sound will come through in repairing my speakers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Went to the junk yard yesterday to sort out some sequoia projects.
It was hot it the 90s and took a look at the speakers. In the heat the foam glue was very easy to take off just my fingers rubbing it and pulling. Maybe it was partly the humidity or the heat but and i'm sure the 4 speakers i put my hands on could be prepped/cleaned in less than a hour each, maybe 30 minutes.

On a related note; the 04 sequoia looks like there is 2 separate amps, one for the front speakers in the center dash, and one for the rear in the center console. Can anybody confirm this. looks like running high side input to a after market amp would be a pain

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello Friends!

This is something most of us have heard of, the speakers on the Toyota Sequoia aren't made anymore.

So I was fixing the front 2 speakers, and one of them fell apart in my hand.

Now I need to replace them for sure.

What have you guys done?

Retro fit some kind of mount to get it to fit 6.5's?
Can I find original speakers from Toyota?

Car toys wants $1,000 to do all 4 speakers. They will make mount and put in a new amp.

What have you done?
I purchased the Simply Speakers Kit and did my 04 DC front door speakers myself. Was not hard at all kit was about $30 and have been done for two years or more already. They again sound like they did in August of 03, when I bought my truck new. That kit is the best solution to the speaker issues!

·
Registered
40 Posts

How do the clips work? Do you pry them straight up with a putty knife or something?
Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
How do the clips work? Do you pry them straight up with a putty knife or something?
Thanks!
There are some Youtube videos that show it step by step. Hardest part was getting the main clips off but they are built fairly well -- a bit of force didn't break them (at least for me).

Videos:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I forgot to say, I bought the foam kit from Simply Speakers but I was surprised to find my driver's side speaker seemed good. I am getting distortion from the passenger side. I'll go take that panel off and check that speaker but I would have thought both would have been close to failing. But perhaps one was replaced or somehow has made it longer. I'm just hoping it isn't something else...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts